Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install the Honda chrome fender tip on my 1800 Retro. In addition to the two sidded tape, I will have to drill a hole in the fender :shock: Should I do anything to the inside of the hole? I am worried that it will eventually start to rust. What have others done? Have you put some paint in the hole before putting the fender tip on??

Thanks,
Woody

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Anytime I expose bare metal I put some type of coating on it. Paint for fenders and such and dielectric grease for electrical connections (ie grounds)

Get some touch up paint and put it on the bare metal where you'll drill whatever holes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Be careful!

I had to tweak mine a little to get it to fit right (it was a bit wide or flared out) and I messed it up the first time by not getting the drilled hole quite in the right place. The second time I installed it, I did it w/ the fender off the bike (when it was off for paint anyway) and took my time and filed the hole for better fit. Also, the edges are sharp so be sure to protect the paint w/ masking tape while doing your test fitting. Once you have the hole right, use some touch up paint on the bare metal (any color will do!)

Some have installed this piece just using 2-sided foam tape - I was too chicken so I drilled the whole for security.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
bw said:
I am getting ready to install the Honda chrome fender tip on my 1800 Retro. In addition to the two sidded tape, I will have to drill a hole in the fender :shock: Should I do anything to the inside of the hole? I am worried that it will eventually start to rust. What have others done? Have you put some paint in the hole before putting the fender tip on??

Thanks,
Woody
I have had mine for over 2 years and no sign of rust around the holes. I did NOT paint the inside of the fender after drilling the holes. One word of advice though. Put a block of wood behind the fender when your drilling so you don't drill into the tire :oops:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments, and yes, I will put a block of wood behind the fender!

Woody

·
Registered
146 Posts
I recommend not drilling....NO NO NO and NO

it's just a flismy clip anyhow and a little touch of epoxy along with double sided tape will do the trick.

One you drill....welll.... your drilled!!

Respectfully,

David

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SolveforX - I wish I had seen your post before I started. I checked the position about 6 times and drilled away. Then checked the fit and all seemed well. Then I pulled the backing off the tape. Crap! The thing did not go on as I thought it would and the tape grabbed ahold of it. The damn thing is slightly left of center, probably about 2 millimeters. It seems to fit well overall to the fender. No one but me will notice that it is not on perfectly straight, but now the hole I put in the fender does not align and therefor the pin will not fit. I hope the tape will hold it. As you said, it is just a flimsy clip and not very heavy. I am not sure why such a simple assessory has to be so darn hard to install. I tend to be a perfectionist and this is going to drive me nuts. I guess I just need to remember that no one else will probably ever notice. I just hope the tape holds :(

Woody

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm pretty certain it will stay on just fine. I rode w/ mine for 5,000 miles with the clip not grabbing in the hole and then had one heck of a time removing the tip when I had the bike repainted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts