Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody going?I just signed up to go and 2 events I had picked were sold out.The Cherohala Skyway,and breakfast cruise for Wed,Thurs,And Fri. were gone.We"ll find other rides to do anyway.Not sure which day we are leaving....................rw

·
Registered
29 Posts
im going

hey tommy d here, yeah im going to yhe hoot at this point im goin alone , i also tryed to sign up for some stuff to no avail but i did get some hotel rooms . if you want to get in touch with me give me acall at home after 2pm at 630-844-9162 i also am trying to figure out where i would end up the first day probably somewhere in kentucky but i figure to play it by ear and just stay at some hotel . i have an 03 1800r lets represent ill , and remember RESPECT THE X

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
The only ride that is really needing a ticket is the Best DAMN Ride and Fish Fry. Most of the others you can get a copy of the map(s) and go anyway. You won't get the paid-for meal, but most places will also have seperate meals available from the local places.

Remember that these rides are self-paced. They map them out, and arrange the meals, but they do NOT lead the ride, you're on your own to get there in time for the meals.

Just register so you can get into the vendor area and the cerimonies (including the closing cerimony so you are in for the grand prize - up to the value of a Gold Wing).

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Last two years I've taken off on Saturday morning the week before the Hoot, take my time through Indiana and Kentucky and spend the night some where. Last trip I stopped in Shelbyville, KY - I had a great time riding around the town, there was a city celebration downtown with a couple of live bands. But, no open alcohol consumption, so I wandered down to a local bar. Great time.

Then down into Knoxville to meet a buddy from Atlanta who comes up to meet me for the week for the Hoot. We ride around Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and get in some miles in the Smokie Mountains, including a couple of runs on the Dragon.

A couple of thier paid-for day rides and meals, a couple of days of the vendors (takes at least one full day of going through the vendor exhibits, especially if you're looking for anything in particular - or everything in general).

Then the closing ceramony on Saturday night for the chance to win something. And blast back Sunday.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
David,

I'm leading a very small group, only 4 bikes, down to the Hoot and surrounding area, we're going to slab it down to Lexinton, KY on Saturday, then through Knoxville and the Dragon on our way to Cherokee where we will be spending 4 days riding and exploring the Smokies. We plan to be at the Hoot for Thursday thru Saturday morning, some of the group are going to head back on Saturday and take two days to get back here, I'm going to stay thru Saturday night, then leave early Sunday and iron butt it back home, it's only 640 miles from the Hoot site to my house, an easy 10 hour ride on the Goldwing.

You are more than welcome to join us as we're not able to get group rates with only four or five rooms........need at least 9 rooms to be taken to get group rates.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Thanks for the offer, I'll know more as the time gets closer. Still not sure what bike (if any) will be available to me - or the financial situation either. (Divorce pending...)

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey, I would be interested in going as well, however, my longest ride has only been from Northern Ill to St.Louis. Would you be able to give me an estimated cost of the trip? Also duration of the trip...

Thanks for your help,

Jay

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Jay, cost is dependent on accomodations during the stay and round trip.

Note that the Honda Hoot is "HIGH" season in the Knoxville area, as it is the number one tourist attraction for the city, bringing in over 20,000 Hoot'rs each of the last two years. So, the hotels are full price. Last three trips I've made to Knoxville (2 Hoots and one Fall Color trip) averaged $1k for a week of hotels, meals, and fuel. No consideration in that number is given for the thosands of $$'s you'll spend on all the stuff from the couple hundred vendors that are there.

And that does NOT count the extra expense of at least one trip to the "Last Chance" :!: :p 8) :wink:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
David said:
Note that the Honda Hoot is "HIGH" season in the Knoxville area, as it is the number one tourist attraction for the city, bringing in over 20,000 Hoot'rs each of the last two years. So, the hotels are full price. Last three trips I've made to Knoxville (2 Hoots and one Fall Color trip) averaged $1k for a week of hotels, meals, and fuel. No consideration in that number is given for the thosands of $$'s you'll spend on all the stuff from the couple hundred vendors that are there.

And that does NOT count the extra expense of at least one trip to the "Last Chance" :!: :p 8) :wink:
David,

In searching out hotels in the knoxville area for my Goldwing chapter, I found several that had rooms available for under $70/night. I have guidelines for my chapter that I have to follow for hotels for our trips, but if you are not TOO picky (unlike some my fellow wingers :roll: ) you can even get rooms for around $40, mind you, with that kind of price don't expect much in the way of amenities, but the way I look at it is that a hotel is simply a place to sleep at night, as long as the bathroom works and it's clean.......

The guidelines that I have to follow for my Goldwing chapter are pretty simple:

1) Must have a pool, preferably indoor (I was told that this is in case of bad weather, so that there would be something to do at the hotel)

2) Must have a free (typically cheap wingers :roll: ) continental breakfast

3) There should be hair dryers and irons and ironing boards in the rooms.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
g2rich said:
3) There should be hair dryers and irons and ironing boards in the rooms.
Ahhhh! Taking care of the poor ol' GL1500 crowd Eh! :D How did you ever manage without those options.....

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Re: Last Chance?

rootney3 said:
What is the "Last Chance"?
Ah, the kinda place that doesn't have many windows, and you buy the beer out back... 8) :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts