Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be replacing my clutch soon The manual recommends hondabond. My question is on the package it says it turns to a rubber-like substance in 16 hours but fully cures in 3 days the question is how long do you have to let the motorcycle set before you can run it? I don't want any oil leaks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know guys who have rode right after putting it back together with no leaks after. I would just let it sit overnight. But, that's me. I think they use it on cars too. Main think is surface prep and correct application

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
This might be worth a watch:
Wow!
Never had the clutch case off on my bike.
I would have thought that Honda used a paper gasket, but no... just Honda bond. No doubt it is a cost down measure.
Long as it don't leak one less part to buy is ok by me.

I'm sure any non hardening form-a-gasket compound will be fine.
I would use Honda bond since it's what was used to put the engine together in the first place. But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
I used Ultra Black as well. I put a thin bead on the cover before starting to put the clutch together. Once ready, about 15 to 20minutes, I installed the cover, hand tight. Installed the exhaust and then torqued everything down. Filled with oil and rode. Never leaked a drop.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
This might be worth a watch:
Wow!
Never had the clutch case off on my bike.
I would have thought that Honda used a paper gasket, but no... just Honda bond. No doubt it is a cost down measure.
Long as it don't leak one less part to buy is ok by me.

I'm sure any non hardening form-a-gasket compound will be fine.
I would use Honda bond since it's what was used to put the engine together in the first place. But that's just me.
Just a comment on the video....he does use the torque wrench incorrectly for the high torque settings. Not a biggie to me but there is a better way to do this.:)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Just a comment on the video....he does use the torque wrench incorrectly for the high torque settings. Not a biggie to me but there is a better way to do this.:)
Are you speaking about him pulling upward on the wrench? Or, not supporting the TW head? Or both?
My guess; He's not a mechanic or did that so he didn't have to move the camera...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts