Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new here but been riding for years. Found this site and some really good stories and good info here. Hope to be around for some time. I have 2007 VTX 1300 R, purchased last year and like the bike. Has 28 k miles and runs like a champ. Installing front and rear cameras and want to power them only when the bike is running. Can I use the power wire in the headlight casing? Or is there a better power source?

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Where’s the satellite dish going... ;) ....some Guru will be along in a minit to help out........good luck

All my stuff is powered by aux..fuse box...I like to stay out of the main system....

·
Registered
872 Posts
Wire direct from the battery, using a relay that is triggered from a switched source. this way it’s the battery supplying the power not a source with more load and too small a fuse. I find this diagram to be very helpful.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like a very good idea to me, going to the parts store now for a relay and I will let you know how it comes out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
No need for a relay and shhhload of extra wiring if you use small cameras that barely draw any power. The relay might draw more power than a single camera. :)
I do not have diagrams for your year VTX but if they are anything like the previous years, you could tie into the tail lamp Black/Brown wire for the rear camera. And for the front camera, you can tie into the White/Green horn/turn/brake wire in the headlight bucket.
Especially if you have converted to LEDs, the current alternator and fuses can easily power your cameras, even if they draw an whole amp.

The cameras will come on with the key and will be independent from your headlight and engine. They will turn off only with the whole key again. So if you use the ignition properly, you will have good uninterrupted footage.

Again, please check the wiring diagram for your model year, I am not 100% positive whether they kept the same wire colors. It is very likely but I cannot guarantee that, sorry.
Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
11,549 Posts
Sometimes it better to be close to the battery, less interference.
My recent phone video did not turn out well. I was using the speedo/optional fog light connector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts