Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 vtx 1300s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2003 vtx,

horn stopped working all of sudden, Horn works when tested, turn signals and all lights work, horn button has continuity. The issue seems to be something with the power to the horn. I have power to the horn when testing bill meter. But this power comes and goes ?? What I mean by That is, I test with volt meter at horn connections. I have power and horn works When putting horn/turn signal back together I test the horn with power on and pushing horn button and key on. Horn works. I get everything out back together and the horn doesn’t work. And no power at the horn connections when pushing switch. Driving me crazy.

I’ve taken switch apart 3 different times. Checked continuity all good,

Could I have a bad ground wire or a bad connection from the battery to the horn?

does power go to the horn first then the switch. I’ve tried tracing the lines from the horn back as far as possible to look for bad wires but i Lose it in the harness

how do you get to the 6 pin connectors in the head light ??? That’s my next trial

Long post I’m sorry but it is driving me crazy. Have bike torn all apart gas tank, seats, off etc. head light is next.
Any help much appreciated
I know this is an old thread but I’m having the same issue driving me nuts. Horn works when tested, turn signals and all lights work, horn button has continuity. The issue seems to be something with the power to the horn. I have power to the horn when testing bolt meter. When putting horn/turn signal back together I test the horn with power on and pushing horn button and key on. Horn works. I get everything out back together and the horn doesn’t work. And now power at the horn connections when pushing switch. Driving me crazy.

how do you get to the 6 pin connectors in the head light ??? That’s my next trial

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Calm down.. 1300 or 1800???
Headlight front.piece
Two screws at upper 2/3 of front piece.
Grind/file off the tip of the Phillips a small amount or you will ruin the screw head..
Then you tilt out the top of HL and lift the
Bottom from the headlight unit. Owners manual should provide info...
What is missing, battery or ground???
If you hold the switch On and have battery
(+) Voltage to the Horn and (+) on the Ground Horn connection, you are missing a Ground.

Reactions: JimmyLee73

·
Super Moderator
64,656 Posts

·
Super Moderator
64,656 Posts

·
Registered
2003 vtx 1300s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the replies. This is a 1300 Vtx 2003.

I worked half a day today with this horn problem.

1. The horn works fine, test well when direct to battery
2. As I mentioned I do get power when I push switch but what I discovered last night was when handle bars are turned all the way to left I get power. When I straighten them to put the turn signal switch back on a so not get power. This brought me to today where I was thinking I have
a bad wire in the harness.

3. Today I removed the front head light and the entire switch wiring harness. I tested each connection at the 6 prongs for continuity. All work! Bent the harness in various positions and tested again all still have continuity.

4. I then checked the wires coming into the headlight. Found wiring diagram check the ground which is in the blue 6pin to the ground wire at the horn coming out of the harness continuity was good. Checked the hot wire which is on the black 6 prong to the hot to horn. NO CONTInutiy ???

Where I’m at now and questions I have.

1. I have now power to horn or horn switch
2 all wiring on the switch harness and the switch itself all test good for continuity

3. My question is. Does power go to horn first from bat then to switch? If so, this could be my problem. I did not have power from the black wires to horn before or after hitting the switch.

4. If my switch and button wiring is good can I just get an after market horn and wiring directly with a relay etc ?

Thanks so much. I’m pretty handy can fix jist about anything. This horn is a challenge but I ain’t quitting til it’s fixed. Thoughts much appreciated

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Battery power goes to relay then horn. When you push button it energizes the relay and sends batt. power to horn. Google 'Bosch Relay' if not familiar.

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
+12v from battery to IGN switch, several connectors, Horn switch.
When you found the positive wire going to the horn did you mark it?
Then run a wire from the frame somewhere "Ground wire" and then connect to the horn.

White/Green wire from 10 amp fuse to 6P Black connector to Horn switch,
Light Green wire from horn switch to 6pin Black connector,
becomes Black wire to Horn.

One thing--the Horn Ground goes back to the Yellow 14 pin connector in the right frame cover.
Only found that from the 2006 schematic.

One strange event someone had this year was one of the wires broke from all the turning on the steering stem.
It doubled up to a hard turn when HB turned hard left and straightened for right turn, eventually broke.

·
Registered
2003 vtx 1300s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+12v from battery to IGN switch, several connectors, Horn switch.
When you found the positive wire going to the horn did you mark it?
Then run a wire from the frame somewhere "Ground wire" and then connect to the horn.

White/Green wire from 10 amp fuse to 6P Black connector to Horn switch,
Light Green wire from horn switch to 6pin Black connector,
becomes Black wire to Horn.

One thing--the Horn Ground goes back to the Yellow 14 pin connector in the right frame cover.
Only found that from the 2006 schematic.

One strange event someone had this year was one of the wires broke from all the turning on the steering stem.
It doubled up to a hard turn when HB turned hard left and straightened for right turn, eventually broke.

·
Registered
2003 vtx 1300s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you this very helpful. Yes I did mark the 12 volt coming into the black 6pin. I do not however have 12 volt going to the horn. The 2 wires that go to horn are black with green and gray maybe dots ? One is spliced into the black wire in harness going to the black 6P for 12v the other is ground

Through testing one is ground which goes to the light green on switch. The other then I assume must be the positive going to horn. But it does not show 12v when testing

Could I tap/splice into this wire and run it to horn ? Or even just run a new wire right from battery My thought is that the positive wire to horn has broken. This if power goes right to horn not a relay. This is 2003 stock wiring and horn I didn’t think a relay was used and wiring diagram doesn’t show relay.

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Go back to my previous post and draw
a basic line of fuse to conn to switch to conn to Horn. Positive wiring.. Test light would be better to follow the +12v path to the Horn.

·
Registered
2003 vtx 1300s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hans and Feet, I really appreciate your input on this. I however and stumped. This little horn puzzle has got me good. Lol. Today I triple checked all connections for continuity

Black wire from horn going to green wire , which I assume is ground, into a Blue 6P - good

2nd Black wire from horn to Black 6P from switch harness - this goes into the light green wire from horn button - good

The switch itself has good continuity and works when testing

All continuity on both sides of harnesses work except and I’m wondering if this is the problem.

The Green/white wire coming into the switch from the fuse box. Should this be hot ? Is this how the switch gets the 12v ?

When I tested the harness for 12v power coming from battery this wire did not have any volts ?

All pins in the Black 6P that had 12v except the white and green which go to the switch and the other black with Gray dots ? I think? it is right below the white and green wire. This one is the wire that matches up to the light green to the switch

So I don’t see any voltage coming into the switch.

So as of now the only thing I’ve concluded is that

1.the switch harness wiring is good,
2.the switch it self is good
3. Horn wires have proper continuity
4. The horn works ! When testing directly to bat
5. I have no voltage to switch or horn when pressing switch

I’ve attached a wiring diagram I found and a drawing of the black 6P - should all of these have 12volts ??

this has definitely been a challenging little horn

Rectangle Schematic Slope Font Parallel
Brown Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
WHITE WIRE/GREEN STRIPE FROM FUSE TO HORN SWITCH, NAMED BATT3 AT HORN SWITCH

HORN SWITCH WIRE LIGHT GREEN TO 6P BLACK TO BLACK HORN WIRE.
BLACK WIRES ARE USUALLY HOT WIRES, OR USED ON EXTERNAL CONNECTIONS.

DARK GREEN WIRE IS THE NORMAL GROUND WIRE.
ONE BLACK WIRE GOES TO A DARK GREEN GROUND WIRE--SCHEMATIC ONLY.
HONDA LIED ABOUT ALL THE SPLICES ON THE GREEN WIRES,
MOST GO TO A YELLOW 14 PIN CONNECTOR
WHICH CAME OUT ON THE 2006 SCHEMATIC.
YES YOU HAVE A BROKEN WIRE, IT IS NOT FAR AWAY.

THERE ARE ONLY TWO PINS IN THE BLACK 6P CONN THAT IS OF INTEREST.

DISREGARD GRAY DOTS.

YOU PROBABLY SHOULD OPEN THE HARNESS BETWEEN STEERING STEM AND
TO THE BLACK 6 PIN CONN FOR THE +12V ISSUE.
HORN BLACK WIRE GOES ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE YELLOW 14 PIN CONN...
You can use a needle to access the wire. Go gently until you find an open.

·
Registered
2003 vtx 1300s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I got it !!! Thank you so much Hans and Feet! I cut open then wiring harness and inspected the wires going back. Sure enough, the white and green wire was split about 5 inches in. Simple splice repair and I back in business horn works all is good. !!

One last question if I may just because I messed around so much with the wires etc and I can’t remember. Lol. The rear turn signal lights. Those are not rear tail lights also, on all the time like the front ?? These are just turn signals right.

They work as turn signals but not on all the time like the front ones. Pretty sure are not to be on all the time ?

again, thank you so much for your help and comments with this.

happy riding ! Stay safe!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I got it !!! Thank you so much Hans and Feet! I cut open then wiring harness and inspected the wires going back. Sure enough, the white and green wire was split about 5 inches in. Simple splice repair and I back in business horn works all is good. !!

One last question if I may just because I messed around so much with the wires etc and I can’t remember. Lol. The rear turn signal lights. Those are not rear tail lights also, on all the time like the front ?? These are just turn signals right.

They work as turn signals but not on all the time like the front ones. Pretty sure are not to be on all the time ?

again, thank you so much for your help and comments with this.

happy riding ! Stay safe!
correct, the rears are not running lights, turns only.

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
Someone came out with the idea to add brake and tail light using leds on a
donut shaped object with 12 leds. I made two, one for me, one for my son.
Mike Buras aka bareasschoppers has the info if you want the extra lighting.

Glad to see the broken wire has found and repaired.
I have been looking for that previous kinked/broken wire and found a clue.
It was back in May 2021. I did not look back that far..
I added a thread in the Howto Step by Step 1300 section.
We may see more of these.

The 2003 1300S has an electric fuel pump. The only year a 1300 had a fuel pump.
Many FP have died. If yours is still connected you can bypass the FP.
Two threads of how to remove FP and relay in the Howto Step by Step 1300 section.
2004 and up have gravity flow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts