Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy,

i have a neighbor who got the bug the first day he saw my 13t... now however, he is rattling specs at me...(not that it matters to me),,,but what is the horsepower of the 13 and 18...

and more... about the shaft lash, what is the feeling towards the belt drives? fuel injection?

all this is in comparison to yamahas (another nice ride IMO)

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
1800 is rated 106 HP at the crank, that's around 86hp at the wheel
1300 is around 61 at the crank

Shaft drive lash is not all that bad. Belt drives loose less power. Shaft drive is pretty much maintenance free. Belt drives are fairly maintenance free, check tightness once a year, should last 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The 1800 HP is 85 at stock at the rear wheel, someone else can chime in on the 1300 (I think its 65 HP). Shaft is no maintanence compared to belt, but you do lose 15% of the power through the shaft/differential process. Get a stone stuck in your belt and you have to replace it due to damage; wide tire options are more plentiful.

Fuel injection is more user friendly than carburators due to fact you can make changes to the intake and exhaust and not have to re-jet. Most systems are open loop, while closed loop is best (O2 sensor monitors air/ful ratio and maintains optimum ratio at all times regardless of temperature and altitude, etc).

Ask your friend what kind of HP numbers the Yamaha produces. The early models were all torque and no HP; great for pulling a load but won't win at the track.

Dr X

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
1800 about 106 crank hp and 120ftlbs

1300 about the same as a HD 1200cc Sportster (60+) but a little more lowend torque. :thumbup:
Ask your friend what kind of HP numbers the Yamaha produces. The early models were all torque and no HP; great for pulling a load but won't win at the track.
Maybe not stock but Yamaha dominated the HotRod cruiser class for over 5 years on a semi street legal Warrior with DOT tires. I still havent seen ANY VTX match Patrick Racing's 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks...

still pretty down here - 70's and blue thru the weekend

gt

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what does "top gear roll on" mean?

howdy again...

i dropped by the spec' site that was suggested...what is "top gear roll on"

it sounds like the fun part of twisting thru the gears , my 13 will be rolling my 200 lbs at about 75-80 at 5th... in i reckon 5 -7 seconds or so (never timed it)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
howdy again...

i dropped by the spec' site that was suggested...what is "top gear roll on"

it sounds like the fun part of twisting thru the gears , my 13 will be rolling my 200 lbs at about 75-80 at 5th... in i reckon 5 -7 seconds or so (never timed it)
Top gear roll on from 60-80 = how long to get from 60 mph to 80 mph in 5th gear (or 6th if you're one of those other kinds with a 6th gear).
Just for grins, take a look at those numbers between the 1800 and the Valkyrie. I can verify that -- my buddy has a valk, and he'll walk away from me in 5th if I don't kick it down a gear. Of course, that thing is geared like a dump truck compared to the X. So while my 1800 is getting better than 40 mpg all day long, his 1500 is lucky to see 35 going downhill with a strong tail wind. But we're just about dead even banging through the gears head-to-head from a dead stop.

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
So...how much horsepower do after market pipes add to a stock machine?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Maybe not stock but Yamaha dominated the HotRod cruiser class for over 5 years on a semi street legal Warrior with DOT tires. I still havent seen ANY VTX match Patrick Racing's 1/4 mile times.
The Road Warrior being a 1700 pushrod motor, I'd be willing to bet it's belt drive has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Top gear roll on from 60-80 = how long to get from 60 mph to 80 mph in 5th gear (or 6th if you're one of those other kinds with a 6th gear).
Just for grins, take a look at those numbers between the 1800 and the Valkyrie. I can verify that -- my buddy has a valk, and he'll walk away from me in 5th if I don't kick it down a gear. Of course, that thing is geared like a dump truck compared to the X. So while my 1800 is getting better than 40 mpg all day long, his 1500 is lucky to see 35 going downhill with a strong tail wind. But we're just about dead even banging through the gears head-to-head from a dead stop.
The rev limiter on an 1800 will kick in at about 93 GPS MPH in fhird gear when using a 1300 final. Quite a pullnojoke

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
So...how much horsepower do after market pipes add to a stock machine?
All depends on the pipes, some will loose power like HK 3" Big Straights, some will not loose or gain, some will gain like Vance&Hines Bigshots and Jardine Drags. With the systems that gain, you are only talking in the area of 5-8hp.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The Road Warrior being a 1700 pushrod motor, I'd be willing to bet it's belt drive has a lot to do with it.
His track bike was chain drive but i understand your point. Its had much more to do with the rules of the class and now that class is officially gone from AMA racing.

Ken Stotz's VTX made over 200rwhp but was slower the few times it ran the 1/4 mile. Even with mods that were very far outside the class regulations including a turbo.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sure, I was ref. to the direct drive of a belt or chain vs. the shaft. If there was a reasonably priced kit available I'd love to convert my X to a belt. The rear would probably ride better also with less unsprung weight.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I installed a K&N air filter, opened up the air box, and gutted the stock C exhaust to pull 95 HP at the rear wheel.

Dr Xtreme

1 - 15 of 15 Posts