Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Arizona and ride in 90-100+ temps. If I stop after riding a half hour or so, the engine makes a very loud sharp metallic noise just before restarting. This happens when I stop, but only when its hot outside. My Bike is a stock 1300C no carb or exhaust mods. My Fans work fine and engine is not over heating. I think the noise I,m hearing is just pre-ignition detonation. Its just scary... Anyone else have this issue, and should I be concerned??? :roll:

G

·
I get the same noise.

It occurs as the starter is pushed and bike starts.

ONLY when hot, if it cools for a while the noise does not occur.

I am told this is " normal ", however mine did not start making the noise until after I went over some nasty BUMPS.

I plan on stopping by to see a mechanic and let him take a listen, also gonna research the starter in the service manual tonight.

I do not believe it to be 'pre-ignition' detonation as for me the noise is coming from the bottom of the engine - where the starter resides.

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Mine too. I get home in the early morning, shut it off to open the gate and it'll do it every single time I restart it to move it onto the patio.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
dbparti24 said:
I live in Arizona and ride in 90-100+ temps. If I stop after riding a half hour or so, the engine makes a very loud sharp metallic noise just before restarting. This happens when I stop, but only when its hot outside. My Bike is a stock 1300C no carb or exhaust mods. My Fans work fine and engine is not over heating. I think the noise I,m hearing is just pre-ignition detonation. Its just scary... Anyone else have this issue, and should I be concerned??? :roll:
Pair Valve Pump "relieving" itself maybe?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I get the same noise when I go in to open the garage and come back out to start it, never really bothered me to much but glad to hear other people have that noise

G

·
I've been studying the Starter in the service manual.

On a previous thread a user suggested that starter 'bendix' might be sticking.

What ever you do, don't call a dealer to order a starter bendix. They'll laugh at you. The VTX 1300 has starter operates through a clutch system. I suspect the noise might be coming from the clutch, but I am just beginning to tear into this.

Yeah it's a 'hot restart' issue only, it seems. But I do not recall it occurring early on. Of course maybe I didn't do a hot restart, but I believe I did.

I'm thinking I'll let it be for now - it's not a problem 'yet'.

Man I wish they still had Kick Starters on bikes!!! :D

G

·
UPDATE - July 14

Went by the dealer and mentioned this to them.

Man the words ... " Starter Clutch " couldn't come off the mouths of the Tech and the General Mgr fast enough.

Tech told me to come back, talk to the service manager and get it fixed under warranty. Not sure if I wanna do that or not. I will post an update on this after talking with the Service Manager.

Something within the starter clutch is causing the noise, I have an idea of what it is, but don't wanna tear down the bike just for a ' look see' .

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
This 04 has had that (sometimes not everytime)hot startup noise for at least 35000 of it's 44000 miles. Looks like no one here can really offer proof what it is. I think it sounds more like a combustion pop. I'm waiting to see if it's still there at 100000m.
It's your call but not positive I would hand over the bike warrantee or not to 'fix' something that doesn' seem to be broken,,,
just my spin on it, doen't mean I really know what I'm talking about,,,,
As Always Peaceful Cruisin’
BLACK POWER

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have the same noise. It hasn't gotten any worse in the last 15000 miles so i have to agree with Rob T. I have learned these bikes make a lot of strange noises like screaching clutch noises, engine knock under load, valve clatter as well as the starter noise. I haven't seen many posts of any of these leading to any real issues.

G

·
RobT said:
This 04 has had that (sometimes not everytime)hot startup noise for at least 35000 of it's 44000 miles. Looks like no one here can really offer proof what it is. I think it sounds more like a combustion pop. I'm waiting to see if it's still there at 100000m.
It's your call but not positive I would hand over the bike warrantee or not to 'fix' something that doesn' seem to be broken,,,
just my spin on it, doen't mean I really know what I'm talking about,,,,
As Always Peaceful Cruisin’
BLACK POWER
I hear what you are saying and tend to side with you, but this does not sound like a combustion pop. It's hard to describe bit it's like one of those " Cricket Clicker Toys " they had when I was a kid, you squeezed this spring tab and it went - " CLICK ".

I found it odd that when I described the noise they all said 'starter clutch'. I will have a chat with the service manager about it. May be he knows of an issue.

Before I let THEM tear into it, I want them to explain what exactly is the culprit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts