Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the procedure for putting Iron-on patches on leather. I've got a large "VTX mask" patch for the back of my vest and I want to do it right. The patch came with no instructions and I don't think I want to stitch it to the leather. Any help? As an off roader all my life, (I just bought an 05 VTX 1800F) I don't have any experience with leather. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
One guy on here said he uses gorilla glue :?: , I used a flexible leather glue that I got at tandys now Im not saying try it Im just saying its worked for me :lol: ,. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I looked into this same thing some months ago. What i found was ..glue or stich. glue will mess up a good jkt or vest and stiching will mess up a good vest or jkt. :shock:

I have a leather jkt that I just love it is so thick it will stand up on it's own ! I got it in New Orleans some years ago, it has sentamental(sp) value.
I will not glue nor stich on it. I bought a vest kinda cheep to put patches and pins on.
I know I didn't help any :?

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
haveme1 said:
I looked into this same thing some months ago. What i found was ..glue or stich. glue will mess up a good jkt or vest and stiching will mess up a good vest or jkt. :shock:

I have a leather jkt that I just love it is so thick it will stand up on it's own ! I got it in New Orleans some years ago, it has sentamental(sp) value.
I will not glue nor stich on it. I bought a vest kinda cheep to put patches and pins on.
I know I didn't help any :?
Well I can certainly appreciate your take on this, I dont dress up when I ride so everything is expendable. :lol:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I checked with a shoe repair shop. He had a sign in his window...
Leather sewing and repair. I need to take my patches in with my vest for a price, but he said probably not a bunch of cash :!:

·
Sith Lord
4,918 Posts
Yeah, one of the dry cleaners here will sew patches on for $4 for the smaller ones and up to $10 for some of the bigger ones.

Better for me...sewed a small..2x4 patch on my vest, by hand, and it took me close to an hour. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I didn't get back right away... I took the advice of the majority and had the patches sewn on. Took it to a taylor and they charged $10 for a large (10 X 12) and $4 for smaller ones. It looks great, very professional. So good that I had to take the 101 Mile Drive (Rim of the World Highway) thru the San Bernardino Mountains today. Lots of bikes in Big Bear, even saw a great looking red VTX 1300C.
Thanks again.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Tranniedoc said:
Sorry I didn't get back right away... I took the advice of the majority and had the patches sewn on. Took it to a taylor and they charged $10 for a large (10 X 12) and $4 for smaller ones. It looks great, very professional. So good that I had to take the 101 Mile Drive (Rim of the World Highway) thru the San Bernardino Mountains today. Lots of bikes in Big Bear, even saw a great looking red VTX 1300C.
Thanks again.
Glad you had a harmonius outcome. :lol:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I sew and do leather work. The best way to put patches on is by sewing. If they have that iron on crap on the back, make sure you iron it on some cheap piece of fabric so the glue won't get on the leather. Using glue on a patch is the best way to ruin a piece of leather.

It doesn't take a special sewing machine to put patches on. If you want to hand sew the patches, get some glover's needles. They are much easier to use, but still a difficult way to go.

For those of you who have taken sewn patches off leather, get some good leather conditioner and soak the little holes. Keep soaking them and gently tug at the leather. As the conditioner works into the leather, the leather expands and the holes will either disappear or become less visible.

For those of you with damage to your leather from glue, I'm sorry, but the only way to "fix" it is to put another patch over it. You can get the excess glue off, but it usually takes the surface of the leather off with it. You can try to re-dye it, but the damage is permanent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts