Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone out there. I made the mistake of putting my leg down when riding as passenger last Saturday and my snow suit melted on hot exhaust pipe. (I'm from Wyoming and just returned from snowmobiling for the day and wanted to let my son take my new (used) vtx for a spin, that's why the snow pants). Anyway I wiped some of it off when it was real hot and soft but after it cooled down it's baked on pretty good. Any suggestions that anyone has tried and worked? Thanks folks. Jed

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
First thing to try is Easy Off oven cleaner on the pipes when they're hot. Put something behind the pipes and don't overspray on your paint.
Others will chime in but this works, most everyone has melted a rain suit on their pipes at one time or another.

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me with my bubs. Hubby rode it to work one day and melted his snow pants that he wears in the winter when he rides on to the pipe. I scraped it off with a nickle. Cold exhaust. Didnt leave a scratch. I tried easy off and it didnt work.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me with my bubs. Hubby rode it to work one day and melted his snow pants that he wears in the winter when he rides on to the pipe. I scraped it off with a nickle. Cold exhaust. Didnt leave a scratch. I tried easy off and it didnt work.
I assume that "Hubby" got a lecture in what not to do on your bike....

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Go to the kitchen showroom of a Home Depot and get a sample chip of formica laminate for countertops. Best scratchless scraper available. Use on cold pipes.

Lou

·
Registered
959 Posts
+1 for Never Dull....It's worked well for me and shines up the chrome real nice too!

·
Registered
5,876 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wife got a piece of purse on my hot exhaust, talked to a detailer who suggested the finest steel wool I could buy with soap and water! Worked like a charm with no scratching!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey everyone out there. I made the mistake of putting my leg down when riding as passenger last Saturday and my snow suit melted on hot exhaust pipe. (I'm from Wyoming and just returned from snowmobiling for the day and wanted to let my son take my new (used) vtx for a spin, that's why the snow pants). Anyway I wiped some of it off when it was real hot and soft but after it cooled down it's baked on pretty good. Any suggestions that anyone has tried and worked? Thanks folks. Jed
Thanks again everyone who replied with suggestions to help me out. Your the best group of folks I've ever (never) met. Jed

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Metal on metal for cleaning is a no no, don't care how fine it is. Turtle wax chrome polish/rust remover ( Green and white can) with a little rubbing took off burnt rain suit of my pipes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I parked my bike at a friends house and went out of state. The SOB took steel wool and scotchbrite pads and cleaned my exhaust (other) because he wanted to send pictures of it to his Dad. I also think he was telling other people it was his. Either way, don't do that! Since then I replaced the exhaust but, it still pisses me off.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well you don't use it on your exhaust pipe ..... you use it on the shtuff that's on your exhaust pipe to the extent necessary to get it off!

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
I assume that "Hubby" got a lecture in what not to do on your bike....

:mrgreen:
You better believe it. I tried oven cleaner and nothing. I tried the never dull and where I swear by it for alot of things, it didnt touch it. I tried the white diamond, cuz I love it for chrome polishing, it didn't touch it. I tried sos and it started dulling the chrome. I did not try steel wool, and I'd heard about the nickle and so I decided what the heck, it was ugly and I thought the pipes were ruint anyway. It flaked off so nicely I couldnt believe it. And, like I said, didn't leave a mark. I was pretty impressed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts