Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how most lift their VTX. Many times I am alone and I find it to be quite the balancing act when lifting from the kickstand side. All advice is appreciated. I did see the video below, and I can't imagine being confident enough to lower the bike like this guy. FYI, I just bought the Sears Aluminum Jack so I hope that makes things easier!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eJk57F2XLs

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Pipe side.

edit: Just watched the clip. Not sure what that guy was trying to prove, other than that overweight guys shouldn't wear shorts that resemble capri pants, but for what it's worth, I have the same jack and I let my bike down more carefully than that. Just take your time and you'll get used to the operation quickly. The yellow jack is very fluid in it's operation, not at all herky-jerky like some jacks.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
That was a funny video...dude might as well have been in his skivies! :lol:

I lift it from the pipe side, as well. It's pretty easy to stand the bike straight up, slide the lift under it and start jacking it up. Once it's up, though...out comes the "pepsX" stand. I bought my lift at Walmart, but I only trust it to get the bike up high enough for the stand to go under, and then to get the bike off the stand and back on the ground.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I don't know what the hell that guy was doing....but I just slide it in on the right, and start jacking it.....(no wise cracks please)

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have the Sears red jack so either side is a challenge by yourself. I lift from either side depending on what i am working on.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So the yellow sears jack is better? (easyer)

·
Registered
868 Posts
scott051300 said:
So the yellow sears jack is better? (easyer)
Yes the yellow jack is a little lower than the red one. Sometimes I run my front tire up on a 2x6 to get a little extra clearance.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
How easy we have it today what with cel phones, tow cards and motocycle jacks. In the far far past I've had them fall off (Experience is Directly Proportionate to Equipment Ruined) the cinder block jack. So nowadays with all the jack technology I don't just slide that jack under there and start jackin', I double check my frame, jack a little and then triple check to be sure as it leaves the floor that it's solid on there. Having a bike take a swan dive off a cinder block is not fun. With a bike up in the air don't take anything for granted. Murphy's Law will Apply.
Just passing along my experiences, maybe someone will read this and think "I don't want that swan dive thing happenin' to me".
As Always Peaceful Cruisin’
BLACK POWER

·
Registered
278 Posts
That dude in the video is like a bull in a China shop, he must work out.

I have the red jack in a tight space that is not concrete, these guys are right, pipe side with a 2x6 under the rear tire so it's easy to get the jack under the bike. And don't ,muscle it around as much as the guy in the video, guarantee that bike falls over someday.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
DonvtxC said:
Not sure what that guy was trying to prove,
I got the feeling he was just trying to show how stable the bike is on the jack.

But....+1 to Murphy's Law.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a jack from Tractor supply that looks similar to the Sears red. I have no troubles at all from either side. With the foot pedals to lift and lower it's a snap. The only issue I had the first couple times using it was getting it under the balance point. Once I figured that out it has made shop life much easier.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I have a red jack.....not sears ....it was a gift but I wthink it was from a Costco type store....

Anyways, I put a BIIIG yellow pages book under the kickstand and the jack can then slide real easy under the bike from the right.

Just have to watch the positioning really carefully...the width of the jack JUST FITS my frame......

The jack also lowers kind of herkey-jerkey, as someone put it.....

But a little caution and so far so good.

BTW...I also try to remember to tie the bike down properly too......usually forget but on bigger jobs its a must.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
One thing, he is definetly not safety minded, wearing flip flops when working around a several hundred pound bike that is gravity fed, without the benefit of tie down straps to keep balance, jerking the handle around and then looking like he is dosie do-ing around his garage with the HD, then letting it down so fast I just cannot see how he would be trying to make any point ther than the fact ....

well I cannot think of what point he is trying to make

too morbidly distracted by the muffin top and moobs...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
I have a kobalt slides under the bike with no problem, go in on the pipe side and start jacking,has foot pedals. I admire you guys that go in on the stand side I just see no reason using that side of the bike..02 have a safe one.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
RobT said:
So nowadays with all the jack technology I don't just slide that jack under there and start jackin', I double check my frame, jack a little and then triple check to be sure as it leaves the floor that it's solid on there.
I should've posted this info, too, because that's what I do. I pull the bike up off the kickstand from the right side so that if my hand slips (or something else happens) and the bike starts to go over, the kickstand will be there to either break the fall a little or catch the bike and keep it up. I've never even thought about going from the left side...nothing is there to catch the bike should it go over. Also, the jack I bought has a removable handle, so I can do work on the right side of the bike without it being in the way.

But, like I said before, the pepsX stand always comes out no matter how simple or quick of a job I need to perform.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I pull the bike up off the kickstand from the right side so that if my hand slips (or something else happens) and the bike starts to go over, the kickstand will be there to either break the fall a little or catch the bike and keep it up. Writes MR. VTX

It's the right side for me to always, for the above reason.
BTW that guy in the video, with flipflops on his feet and nonchalantly pushing his bike around the garage and then allowing the bike to come down that fast,,, it can hurt and break bones at no speed to. He just hasn't paid his dues yet. Not that I think I'm finished paying mine, I just like to avoid paying more.
BLACK POWER

G

·
I don't know what it is like to have help when lifting the bike.

I life from the pipe side, with the kick stand down. ( figure if it leans my way, I can catch it ... if it goes the other way, hopefully the kickstand will help )

I begin to lift slowly till the jack begins to lift the bike. I grab the bike handle bar with my right hand and operate the jack with my left. Eventually the bike comes up on the stand and when it is stable I finish the lift.

Lowering it, I bring it down sloooooooooowly to the point where I can straddle the bike. I stand over the bike and finish lowering it like that.

I am more concerned when lowering than when raising.

I also use the Sears ALUMINUM Jack.

Funny thing ( sort of ), first time I lifted the bike on the sears jack, I knew the bike was off the ground when the bike and jack began to roll across the floor. Yeah there is a slight incline where I did this. At least I had the jack handle securely tightened.

Basically you have to lift in a way that you feel safe and confindent.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
RobT said:
How easy we have it today what with cel phones, tow cards and motocycle jacks. In the far far past I've had them fall off (Experience is Directly Proportionate to Equipment Ruined) the cinder block jack. So nowadays with all the jack technology I don't just slide that jack under there and start jackin', I double check my frame, jack a little and then triple check to be sure as it leaves the floor that it's solid on there. Having a bike take a swan dive off a cinder block is not fun. With a bike up in the air don't take anything for granted. Murphy's Law will Apply.
Just passing along my experiences, maybe someone will read this and think "I don't want that swan dive thing happenin' to me".
BLACK POWER
+1 on this!
I have a large gouge in my clutch cover from a day of not being careful enough. I didn't have the jack under the frame right, and it came over on me while it was in the air.
Let me tell you, it's plenty scary to have 700 pounds worth of bike falling toward you! I'm not a big guy, but I managed to keep it from coming all the way over long enough to let the jack down, and get things righted again.
Experience is indeed measured by equipment ruined.
I've left the gouge on the clutch cover as a constant reminder to be careful.

The guy in the video hasn't learned his lesson yet.
But he will.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts