Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
yep, stayed home... saved a bunch.

no parking issues, no long lines to get in,,, no long lines to cash out.. no STRESS.. no ANGER.

Reactions: RBS

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Totally disgusting. America should be ashamed and this crap should be stopped. Black Friday has gotten out of hand and now includes Thanksgiving Day. How can people do this? I feel terrible and ashamed if I have to go into a store on a holiday, this includes the corner gas station. These people (employees) should be home with family and friends.

And what did I do? Worked Thanksgiving and Friday.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
At 72 ,(single and no children) ....I couldnt tell u the last time I went shopping/let alone give a gift...adults in the family agreed to quit years ago...I give $$$$$ to my nieces and nephews...as there is nothing I could buy that they dont already have.. ...:thumbup:

PS..I can remember when the world stopped for a moment to actually celebrate Holidays....hell back when my city had Blue laws no 24/7 and the city shut down at 12:00 noon on Saturday...call me old fashioned....I miss it....

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Well, I broke tradition this year. I actually went to several 'Black Friday' sales. I had a number of items that I wanted and were on sale yesterday.

First, Lowe's had a 1/2" Craftsman cordless drill on sale for $49. Since I was in the first 300 crowd, I got an extra $10 off. There were not a lot of folks in the parking lot at Lowe's at 6:00 a.m.

Second, Harbor Freight. I love Harbor Freight. I got a 29 piece (drill) Titanium set for $9.99. I got 4 of them - two for my shop and two for my home shop. Next was an IR Thermometer which I will use for my 'resurrected' thermal vacuum former. $17. Finally, a fifty foot 3/8" retractable air hose. I needed another one to have near my Vacuum Former. $49.

Third, Northern Tool. A lightning strike hit one of my shop building's transformers about a month ago. I had to have the 240V/3P breaker box replaced!!! OOUUCCHHHH!!! That strike also killed three of my battery tenders I had on two of my autos I store in that building. So, Northern Tool had a BatteryMINDer Plus on sale for $18. I bought three.

I didn't mind getting up extra early yesterday. There was no traffic, no crowds, and it was quick and easy.

Oh, I live in Wichita, KS. Not LA.

Joe T.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well, I broke tradition this year. I actually went to several 'Black Friday' sales. I had a number of items that I wanted and were on sale yesterday.

First, Lowe's had a 1/2" Craftsman cordless drill on sale for $49. Since I was in the first 300 crowd, I got an extra $10 off. There were not a lot of folks in the parking lot at Lowe's at 6:00 a.m.

Second, Harbor Freight. I love Harbor Freight. I got a 29 piece (drill) Titanium set for $9.99. I got 4 of them - two for my shop and two for my home shop. Next was an IR Thermometer which I will use for my 'resurrected' thermal vacuum former. $17. Finally, a fifty foot 3/8" retractable air hose. I needed another one to have near my Vacuum Former. $49.

Third, Northern Tool. A lightning strike hit one of my shop building's transformers about a month ago. I had to have the 240V/3P breaker box replaced!!! OOUUCCHHHH!!! That strike also killed three of my battery tenders I had on two of my autos I store in that building. So, Northern Tool had a BatteryMINDer Plus on sale for $18. I bought three.

I didn't mind getting up extra early yesterday. There was no traffic, no crowds, and it was quick and easy.

Oh, I live in Wichita, KS. Not LA.

Joe T.
I went to Home Depot yesterday bought some HDX Plastic Storage Totes on sale (the black and yellow ones). The crowd was a little more than normal, not to bad. I think tool and home improvement stores are much safer on Black Friday compared to major department stores like the ones in the video.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I was at my local Menards store yesterday in line Bright and early to get these fleece blankets for animal shelter here as the wife bought quite a few. Loaded up 2 big garbage bags.Got there at 4.30 in the morning and there was around 35 people allready.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
My observations

I am not an average consumer in that I typically only shop when I have to and then only for what I need, passing up often what I might like/want, but don't need. This all being said, I see most of America as falling for the traps of over consumerism, especially those buying just for the thrill of something new, and with credit that eventually makes them a slave to the banks with compounded high interest rates. An example being my ex, who had a closet stuffed with almost new clothes but was constantly shopping for more.

While I applaud people who know how to find a bargain, Black Friday Sales are often a scam for the naïve (Read: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2016/11/17/black-friday-scam/93765616/ ). A little research on when is smart to shop for what will provide the smart shopper with ideal times to buy items at deep discounts— Example https://lifehacker.com/the-best-time-to-buy-anything-during-the-year-5973864

This post relates to my recent post that would put a real crimp in retail Black Friday sales if more people followed the suggestion posed within; https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/70-ote-off-topic-experiment/466470-needy-verses-you-getting-gift-year.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts