Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I was sitting in a Machine Design class and there is a student confined to a motorized wheelchair. His legs appear crippled. He speaks and understands things just fine, but he is barely able to write due to the contorted position of his hands and wrists. Understand, he is majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I think he is a bright guy. He takes notes, but you can see he has a hard time, physically. He has to have someone hand in his homework, which he completes himself, because he cannot unclinch his hands to grab the sheet. While I was sitting there in class thinking what a bit%$ it is that I have to scrape together money for a 240 kit because I haven't graduated yet, this guy is sitting over there fighting to control a hand that doesn't want to write "Chapter 5" like his brain is telling it to. He looks at the paper and his hand just jerks back and forth. He can't use a computer or drive a car.

I have a beautiful 4 year old little girl and a bouncing baby boy, a customized VTX1800, 2 cars, a house, a great wife, a good research job and I am able to do whatever I want, physically, within reason. This guy couldn't even hold his son, if he had one. I was suddenly aware of how well I have it. The other guys and I always leave that class talking about the awesome burnout we did or "can we supercharge that" or "where do you want to ride to?" We complain about work and school cutting into our riding time; we talk about paint schemes and raked trees; we complain about tests being hard or too much homework or having to work on the house......

I know he doesn't feel sorry for himself the way I seem to, probably due to a much stronger spirit. But, as I sat there feeling like a jerkoff, I couldn't help but think to myself,

I wish he could twist the wick, just one time!!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
yep, thats the way the cards get dealt sometimes. It sucks for them but I usualy admire their strength, they just deal with and dont let it hold them back.

why werent you at Hooters tonight?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey

I lost my right eye as a kid, my father way back then son just look around there is always people in the world that are worst off then you! So count your blessings!
It is amazing how parents get smarter as we grow older isn't !

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
......... said:
why werent you at Hooters tonight?
Actually, I don't come to Hooters because I have a young family who needs my time. I go to school more than fulltime and work, too. My little ones are in daycare 5 days a week, sometimes more than 8 hours a day. I have personally witnessed what absence can do to children and that won't be my kids. If I don't HAVE to be somewhere else, I am with my kids. When they are bigger and don't want me around anymore, then I will play. In the beginning of May, my wife and kids are going to see the inlaws in another state, so I will meet up with you guys then. Cool?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Great post. We are very fortunate. My brother died last year at age 40...he had Down's Syndrome and was not expected to live past age 5....well he beat that by 35 years. Probably the biggest blessing my family has ever been given. Every day, here is this full grown adult (as far as physically), with a 5 year old's mentality. Pure innnocence is a refreshing thing to be around. He always loved his mom and dad, loved the God he was told about as a child, and believed in Santa Clause til the day he died.
Wasn't trying to get off the subject, just reminiscing a bit. Point is, we ARE blessed, and it's a good thing to be reminded of it sometimes.

·
Registered
499 Posts
ncgrizz,
I enjoyed reading your post. I had a son with down's syndrome. His name was Luke. I remember the day the doctor called (my wife was pregnant with Luke at the time) and told us that our child would be born with down's syndrome. We both cried for days at what had befallen us we thought. After Luke was born we loved him at first sight. He was a beautiful baby boy with down's syndrome. Luke had a heart defect that about 50 to 60 % of children born with down's have. They operated on Luke when he was 4 years old to repair the hole in his heart. He didn't survive the surgery. When we first found out about Luke's down's syndrome we thought how are we going to cope with this. After Luke was gone we thought how are we going to live without him. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him.

·
Registered
323 Posts
GOD BLESS APACHEBELL.....I admire YOUR outlook man.

Now just when you think you have it bad...read this post.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
AMEN, all!!! Thanks for the heartfelt posts. We are truly lucky folks who can ride our VTX's and feel the wind. Count your blessings every day, and never take them for granted.

Apachebell, doesn't it make you want to find a way to take that guy out of his wheelchair and strap him on the back seat and take him for a ride? That would probably be a thrill of a lifetime for him.

Have a good one. :mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts