Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many amps available for add-ons/accessories for VTX 1300C

I have an opportunity to purchase Gerbing heated jacket/pants/gloves for a great price, but draws nearly 12 amps, I have been told that this may tax the charging system. Bike is strictly factory, no add-ons. This question ha probably been asked/answered before but help would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
This is from a previous post, but I believe the numbers have been repeated over the years. Dezzy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the 1800 is rated at 400W at 5K. The numbers below came from someone else's post in the past but I saved them.

VTX Power Budget
voltage13.8
wattageamp
headlight604.35
brake/tail261.88
front turn261.88
rear turn211.52
license plate50.36
fan604.35
ecu503.62
fuel pump251.81
instrument light50.36
turn signal indicator0.150.01
high beam indicator0.150.01
neutral indicator0.150.01
oil pressure0.150.01
pgm-fi warning indicator0.150.01
coolant temp indicator0.150.01
fuel reserve indicator0.150.01
total279.0520.22

The 1300 is rated at 360W but it also doesn't have a fuel pump so the 2 outputs for reserve watts are very comparable. I built a load tester so I can increase the load while monitoring volts and amps (= watts). On my 1300 I could get up around 110-120W with voltage dropping into the low 13's. An amount I would consider marginal, I'd prefer to stay above 13.5. I think my stator was getting weak but in general it seems to align fairly closely with the above numbers allowing about a 10 amp reserve, 20 used by the bike and 10 in reserve.

With all the electrical goodies people want to use like extra lights, heat, sound, I think every X should have a voltage monitor so you KNOW what is going on with the charging system. For example on my 650GS (400W), on a cold morning because of battery drain from starting the bike I won't run my heated gear until the monitor shows a good charge on the battery, maybe 5-10 minutes/miles. If I immediately turn the heated gear on HI the battery won't charge for a long time.

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
If you have the temp controller than you can also avoid 12 amp draw.
Low and medium should work in Mississippi.
You can also change to Led lights and get a bit more headroom.
Welcome to the VTXOA...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fellas

just the info I was looking for

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA from the southeast corner of NC.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LED bulbs

If you have the temp controller than you can also avoid 12 amp draw.
Low and medium should work in Mississippi.
You can also change to Led lights and get a bit more headroom.
Welcome to the VTXOA...
do you have a good source for quality LED bulbs for brake and turn lights?

·
Registered
10,792 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ebay is a good source for LED lights, that's where I got mine, for a fraction of what you can get elsewhere. LED headlight, very bright, goes for about twenty bucks there, and about seventy here. Reduced my electric consumption by at least half. I've got the Gebrings jacket as well, just got a voltage meter (again, cheap on ebay) that hooks up to the battery, and we'll see what she draws in real life. Also got a heated seat pad on ebay, had a local guy put it in, and heated grips. With a baklava on my head and ski pants on I've been fine down to about 38 degrees.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Led

I have an opportunity to purchase Gerbing heated jacket/pants/gloves for a great price, but draws nearly 12 amps, I have been told that this may tax the charging system. Bike is strictly factory, no add-ons. This question ha probably been asked/answered before but help would be appreciated
Hey, Bro. Remember what I told you; Hans And Feet knows what he is talking about!!!:grin2:
RR

·
Registered
506 Posts
My rear turns are '39 Ford style off ebay, but fronts I replaced with Pilot ones from Autozone...Brighter than the incandescent bulbs I pulled out, easily visible through the smoked lenses I have...Brake/tail I'm not sure where it came from, a buddy gave it to me, and he's since passed, so can't really ask him to find out...Headlight I got from Sam Beavin, who is on this forum but can't remember his screen name...Also have some LED H3's in my lightbar I got off Amazon...Never measured it, but I know that with all the lights being LED now, I haven't had any issues with the charging system running the two amps and head unit, powering 6 speakers on my bike...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts