Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why am i askin this because i had a different topic and some of the replies were sounding like its some big wild drug party, I have NEVER had a problem when riding out there ,yes you have to be careful DUH! but i think people have the wrong image of sturgis , i put on a thousand(1000) miles on the bike when im out there there is so many places to go and see.its one place to go that you dont wave at other bikers, your arm would fall off.Anyone have a bad time at sturgis,im not talking about Buffalo Chip either i wont go there.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Main St Sturgis during bike week is probably one the safest places
on the planet, there is cop just about on every corner and bikers everywhere, i notice alot of young local childen set up Kool-aid stands along some of the short cuts through town, most of the party takes place on private property ie. campgrounds where cops and minors are not allowed

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
exactly we also stayed at custer nice campground there with small cabins great people. we got a big cabin this time at Lead ever been up there?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I saw a an impressive bike show in Lead

Was even more impressed when i found out all the bikes belonged to
women

·
Registered
40 Posts
Buffalo Chip Campground

Is the Buffalo Chip campground easy to book a site and most important is it safe? Would not want to get mugged or have my bike stolen after a 1,700 mile ride.

G

·
I've seen your other post - and I understand your concern.

Sturgis is SAFE - but if I am not mistaken ( correct me if I am ) your concern is directed towards taking your child there.

I think a better question would be .... " Is Sturgis an event you would take you 14 yr old child to? "

I've never been to Sturgis so I cannot comment along those lines in relation to Sturgis - but I have been to many events and there are some where I know not to take my 12 yo old son, and the concern is not about physical safety directly.

I think maybe you could take your child, just be prepared to answer some of the questions they may ask! :shock:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dr. Peter, I've been to Sturgis going on 11yrs now (all on my ACE, this year will be the first on my X) and stayed at the Buffalo Chip all but once. The one time I didn't stay at the Chip I didn't have as much fun. In all of those years I've never felt I was going to get mugged or have my bike stolen so don't worry about that. You just show up, pick a camping spot and enjoy. I usually go to http://www.buffalochip.com/ to pre-book my camping.

Pro's
Lot's of Picture (00) opportunities!
Concerts
Food Choices
Free or Pay Showers

Con's
Lack of Sleep......

·
Registered
705 Posts
I go every year, as wild or as tame as you want it to be. The Buffalo Chip and Glencoe are at the wilder end of things but never a problem at either. Don't stay at bars where a lot of colors are being worn, cause the gangs aint always that friendly and you aint on a Harley which sometimes draws not so nice comments.

You can make it a family event if you want, just mostly avoid the Sturgis camp grounds. The entire south west of South Dakota participates and most of it is G-rated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
stugis

Been goin since99. no problems. Just like home , avoid the trouble. Just get out and enjoy the hills, Custer State park Iron Mtn Rd. Needled Hgy. Spearfish Canyon and the Monument, Stop at keystone, Crazy Horse. Lots of good restraunts, That should keep you busy enough that you wont have time to get into trouble.Good luck If I missed anygthing Im sure youll find it.Get one of the maps that has the whole area on it probably at a gas station or restraunt up there. ENJOY IT

·
Registered
933 Posts
I rode out to Sturgis twice. The next year my apartment was on Main St a half block from Junction Ave.

Downtown is fairly kid safe. The hot action is at the campgrounds and inside various clubs, i.e. Full Throttle et al....

If anyone wants a local contact for emergencies send me a PM and I can get you my phn #s.

I am not in Sturgis now but close enough for it to be an easy run.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went in '02 and '03. It's safe enough. The main unsafe factor is you have thousands of bikes everywhere you turn, so you have thousands of riders there with skill levels novice - professional. Sure I saw a couple of barfights, but they are quickly ( and I do mean quickly ) put under control. Hell, the wildest thing I saw in '02 was this couple walking down main with 3 ft. alligators on leashes stashed over their shoulders... had to take a second look to believe it was real! Lots of ladies skin being shown, boobs get flashed at the campgrounds, some drunk bikers. No different than any other rally.

I stayed at someone's house that rents rooms during the rally. Much more quiet than the hotels, folks are nice, and both places I stayed it was like a B&B, fed you out on the deck overlooking the hills. Loved it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts