Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - Newbie here,

I just picked up a Candy Apple Red 2002 VTX 1800R last saturday with 3600 miles - hypercharged and 3 inch aftermarket pipes. I have been riding a 750 Shadow - many what an upgrade. I am 6'4 and always felt the Shadow was too small, but it was a way to be on the road.

The Shadow is now going to my wife - she is taking the Safety class this weekend and should be licensed with a few weeks, but she is going back and forth on the idea of riding. She has been doing a lot of parking lot practicing and some slow back roading - Plus she rode dirt bikes until she was 12 and from what I have seen I feel very confident in her abilities.

Any advice that would help calm her fears?

She is hearing the normal - You are going to die - its so irresponsible and so on.

Did I mention I LOVE the VTX.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Very nice - I love the Illusion Blue.

I figure that if she get riding, the bug will bite her. Her Dad has been riding for 35 years, his brothers 8 of them all ride - all Harley's, plus two of them own a custom bike shop - Cool City Customs here in Portland.

Its quite a site to see when just the family goes out for a cruise together. I was proud to ride with them on the Shadow, but did fall behind at times due to the horsepower and torque issues, but I dont think I will have any problems with that now - not even with the V- Rods.

I cant wait till the wife and I can take a nice cruise to Lake Michigan.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My wife has been riding for 5+ years now and loves it.
She rides a 02 Spirit 750 she purchased it new and now has over 14,500K

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, we're not married (yet), but my gf of 3 1/2 yrs rides her own bike. It's one of the things that got me to fall for her. Her sister and her mom ride, too!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I bought my wife a Shadow Ace 750 for her birthday in April. She's been practicing in parking lots and just going around the block. She's taking the MSF class in August.

Cruisinelvis - check out http://www.MichiganXRiders.com

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The dirt bike experience will really help her. My wife rode an ACE 750 for a while but now rides an 1800 R. The 750 is a great bike to start on. My wife loves riding. Tell your wife not to hurry, and don't worry about what others say. My wife loves to ride.

Jack

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife and I Met riding. The wedding ring I gave her was the keys to her own sportster. She is a diehard Harley girl but I still love her :lol:

BTW: She has riden the X and if it had a harley sticker on it she would have her own in the garage.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wife rides an '06 1300C and I ride an '06 1300C :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
My husband and I ride together. I've been riding for about 2 years and have loged about 8500 miles and am on my second bike. I just upgraded to a 1300R which I LOVE. I've never had a spill but damn close a bunch of times, MSF has definately saved my life.

It's simple if she wants to do it she should do it. Perfect example... I had someone that I work with tell me that I was going to kill myself out there. Two months later SHE almost got killed with a car flying into her LIVING ROOM. Moral of the story, yes there is one.... when it's your time, it's your time you cant stand in the side lines thinking "what if".

Riding means the world to me, I love it...

·
Registered
700 Posts
My wife likes to ride with me, and she has mentioned a few times how she would like to get her own bike but doesn't feel comfortable with it yet. So maybe in the future, but I really enjoy having her with me on our rides.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Me! And my honey.

Started with a Volusia... started fighting over who rides it...
so I gave up and bought my own!

G

·
After 23 years of not riding (my last bike was in 1980) I decided I wanted another bike in 2003. My wife had expressed no interest until I went to the dealership, and she suddenly said "I want one too!" So we bought a Shadow 750 for her, and the VTX 1300 for me. We took the MSF together, and she loved riding. We rode every day after getting our bikes, and always together. She suffered a disabling injury (not on the bike) a few months later, and his been unable to ride since...but it is her dream (and mine) to get back on her bike one day. Its not the same riding without her!

The minister at the church we attended where we used to live rode a MC, and when the church board expressed concern about his riding, he said: "Riding can be dangerous, but so is living. I could live my life taking no risks at all, and still I will die...or, I could enjoy my hobby, riding safely and with skill and being responsible, and trust in God to keep me safe until it is my time to die. I think I'll keep riding."

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife rides her own bike. She has a Suzuki Boulevard S50. It is the perfect bike for a small woman. She feels very stable on it and can still for the most part stay up with me. She took the MSF class last Oct. and and it really made her feel confident on a bike.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
i'm no longer married but my GF still is

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Congratulations to you both! My first bike was a Honda Shadow Ace 750 and I loved it.

Have your wife check out www.sisriders.com as well. She can find a wealth of information and a lot of ladies that range from any age to any skill level.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Maybe if you get the wife some proper riding apparrel it will
help put some different thoughts in her mind :wink:

·
Registered
543 Posts
My oldest brother is 8 years older than me, when I was 8 he got an old Honda rebel that he fixed up.I started riding with him then. My Future husband rode a Harley when we started daing and I rode with him. After my daughter was born I decided I wanted my own bike. I bought a used VLX 600.I rode that bike for 2years and last April I bought a VTX 1300 R. I love it. It will take time for her to build up her confidence but she will and now my hubby and I ride together as much as possible, he has a Yamaha Road star
Lisa

1 - 20 of 56 Posts