Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, sure is an old thread but one that is still applicable since there are plenty of new riders to review for comparisons.

There's quite a range of fuel economy out there. I mostly ride easy at about 40-60mph on rural roads and my fuel economy ranges from a typical low of 52mpg to a high of 55mpg (Honda miles). I average about 53-54 mpg and think the lowest I've ever seen is 48mpg when I've been running it farther up the rpm range.

I usually hit reserve between 205 to 220 miles on the odometer. Bike is stock except for pair valve mod. 40psi in the tires and a Memphis windshield.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Yeah, sure is an old thread but one that is still applicable since there are plenty of new riders to review for comparisons.

There's quite a range of fuel economy out there. I mostly ride easy at about 40-60mph on rural roads and my fuel economy ranges from a typical low of 52mpg to a high of 55mpg (Honda miles). I average about 53-54 mpg and think the lowest I've ever seen is 48mpg when I've been running it farther up the rpm range.

I usually hit reserve between 205 to 220 miles on the odometer. Bike is stock except for pair valve mod. 40psi in the tires and a Memphis windshield.
Yup. But unfortunately what I get for MPG's and what you get isn't a great comparison for what rider "C" will get. There are so many subjective factors (road conditions/jetting type/wrist twist strength/wind resistance/geography/total weight on bike/tire inflation pressure/weather or not you've done something like speedohealer or whatever . . . to name just the big ones) that influence MPG readings. Are you listing corrected or uncorrected MPG readings?

I usually hit reserve at 150miles. One of my friends with a VTX1300 usually hits reserve around 170. . . So is there something wrong with mine? Are you measuring yours wrong? Subjective figures like MPG readings, what jets are "right", or what exhaust sounds best are just that... subjective opinions.

Hard to take a tank range number and equate it to anything real world. Unless you are getting dramatically less (like 100miles before reserve) the figure doesn't help to diagnose much outside of that.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
155-160 to reserve + 30 in reserve. I try not to go much further

Sent from stone tablet and chisel

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
All depends on your bike setup (stock) or modifies. And your riding chareristics.
Stock bike 136 to reserve.
Modified with pipes and Rejetting and decapped 140+
just scar mod 136 no increase in mileage.
Stock bike 32 to 36 MPG , some her may do a little better.
Rejetted , pipes , K&N filter and pipes 40 to 46 mpg.
Scar mod pretty much th same as stock.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I found a big drop over 65mph. I usally get around 43mpg at 2 lane speeds, and maybe 38mpg at Interstate speeds.

BUT...this weekend I adjusted my valves, since I haven't for about 15k. Back cylinder was very tight on intake side.
Rode back roads yesterday for about 300 miles at 60-65mph.
First fillup at 145 miles, used 2.5 gallons, which equates to 58mpg. I couldn't believe it.
Even if I stood the bike up, I may have gotten another 1/4 gal in, but that would still be around 52mpg. Anxious to see if this was a fluke.
I run 40/40 air in the tires and have Bub's exhaust and stock airbox at 2.5 tuns on AF screw. 25,000 miles on the bike with windshield. I weigh 225#.

P

·
Registered
20 Posts
gas mileage

I average 47 mpg at 65 mph....... 3 cap fulls of RXP every 3rd tank fill up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
64,141 Posts
Yep, no clear answer in these types of threads. Kinda like saying/asking what your favorite kind of ice cream is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depends

I have a 2007 1300 with over 110 k miles, ridden in every imaginable condition. Mileage can vary as much as 60 miles a tank, depending on speed, wind resistance, and even temperature. Ride over 75 against a cold wind, and you will get poor mileage; ride 55 or 60 an a calm, hot day, and you may get 45 plus mpg.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yup. But unfortunately what I get for MPG's and what you get isn't a great comparison for what rider "C" will get. There are so many subjective factors (road conditions/jetting type/wrist twist strength/wind resistance/geography/total weight on bike/tire inflation pressure/weather or not you've done something like speedohealer or whatever . . . to name just the big ones) that influence MPG readings. Are you listing corrected or uncorrected MPG readings?

I usually hit reserve at 150miles. One of my friends with a VTX1300 usually hits reserve around 170. . . So is there something wrong with mine? Are you measuring yours wrong? Subjective figures like MPG readings, what jets are "right", or what exhaust sounds best are just that... subjective opinions.

Hard to take a tank range number and equate it to anything real world. Unless you are getting dramatically less (like 100miles before reserve) the figure doesn't help to diagnose much outside of that.

Agreed. Nothing in my post suggests otherwise. However if some additional information is provided such as typical speeds driven, tire air pressure, mods done to bike (like I have done) it will assist others to provide a closer comparison for them.

To answer your questions:

As described in my post- "Honda miles" (uncorrected) from what the bulk of riders suggest the odometer is approx 4% high; speedo 10% high- therefore my actual fuel economy would be approx 4% less. There is probably lots of crossover on the site with how folks are measuring and correcting miles or not, and to what extent. I revealed mine. Speedohealers can't make both the odometer and the speedometer accurate so this bias has to be factored in.

I can't see how anyone could comment there is something wrong with yours if you're falling within the range others get. All of the things you list will affect your results. As to measuring mine wrong- no. Pretty simple to calculate fuel economy. One important thing is regarding my range to reserve: I straddle my bike and fill to the brim to get a consistent fill to make fuel economy checks more accurate.

I would consider the actual mpg I report as objective information. It's fact. My real world experience. Yes, there are the influencing factors such as what you list. Others may vary. The subjective part is how people view the influence these have since for most it's pretty hard to isolate each factor to measure only that part objectively.

From my post: Bike is stock except for pair valve removal and windshield and some minor accessories.

I am planning this winter to decap the air box, jet with factory pro, add glens permanent A/F adjuster and do the exhaust hole saw mod. I am curious to see how all this affects fuel economy and also the subjective seat of pants (butt dyno) power assessment.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
At about 140 miles I'd start looking for gas. After doing intake/exhaust mods that number didn't seem to change much, but the power gain was substantially better. 8)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was just wondering how many miles should I expect out of a full tank of gas from my new VTX1300. I guess I am asking an average. Probably mostly highway travel. Thanks.

OhioBob[/QUOTE
Going 65-70 miles per hour, I will get approx. 160 miles.
I've never tested my VTX for max range or had to switch to reserve. My average is around 43 MPG though. That's mostly riding to work with a ratio of 70-30 highway-to-city driving. I have recorded 50 MPG all highway (2 lane) when I took a general-get-my-head-straight type ride. I'm located in flat-ole-Illinois so factor that in.

You can visit this website which list Bikes along with cars for what people are reporting MPG on their vehicles. There are several owners of VTX reporting their MPG.

Jeff
Central IL

http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was just wondering how many miles should I expect out of a full tank of gas from my new VTX1300. I guess I am asking an average. Probably mostly highway travel. Thanks.

OhioBob
Hi there!

Took one for the team one year ago as far as Reserve goes...

I ran my bike on Reserve and got exactly 42 miles until it quit.

I have a 2004 1300S, this was for flat terrain (prairies) and one up.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ugosually run til I hit about 150 miles before I go and refill. It comes down to how hard you ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That 7.2 mod is a good idea. How much is it costing now I wonder.:yikes::twisted:8)

41 - 60 of 68 Posts