Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people here have put on after market exhaust and not had to re-jet? Also, the pair valve has to be removed...right?

·
Read Only
1,671 Posts
i have had 2 different sets of pipes on my bike, bubs and now hk strippers. i did not need to re-jet with either of them and i still have the pair valve.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
syhman said:
remove pair valve when you change air intakes
Sometimes the pair valves need to come out with just an exhaust pipe or muffler change. I put the Roadhouse slip ons on my bike and had decel popping. No changes to the air box or carb. Took the desmog stuff off and my exhaust sounds different and the decel popping went away.

·
Senior Moments
8,400 Posts
I have Vance & Hines Big Shots on my 1300. I did not re-jet, nor did I take out the pair valve thingy. Not a techy lady here, but is taking out the pair valve necessary? (Hubby and I installed the pipes)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Now, another question. I am looking @ the Samson Shotgun Rip-Saws and in my J&P Cycles catalog, it says baffles are necessary, but can't be used with the rip-saws or street sweepers. The both have a bend at the tips. I don't know why they would be necessary for the straight pipes but not the other two. Any info will help. :shock:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Having to Re-Jet depends on a lot of things... Altitude, humidity, heck, even barometric pressure can play a part in how your engine runs. For example, I did the Clayton mod on my 1300 S. I've had 0 backfire/decel pop and I've still got my pair valve. The bike gets better mileage, and seems to have more power on the low end. But, I've read on this forum where people have done the same mod, basically the same way, and are now having problems with decel pop to the point of either having to rejet, or wanting to plug back up the holes. Just because VTX001 in Arizona doesn't have to rejet his, VTX002 in Michigan, might have to.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
did not rejet, still have pair valve. did bump the A/F screw out a little though. But I felt it needed it before the pipes came along.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
A year ago last April I put on V & H BigShots, did the pair valve removal, and added the K & N filter. I thought I needed to change my carb but I ended up just putting the stock stuff back. I think we are at 1300' above sea level and the bike ran good all summer and fall long. This past winter it started to sputter from time to time and I WAS getting some decel pop. Went to the stealer and he said he suggested to just leave it alone and see how it does when the weather breaks for spring. Just last week I took the plugs back to him and he said they are about dead on in color. I had to remove the pair valve because I figure it's like PapaBear505 said, it is just something I had to do for my location. Opinions and unfortunately bikes vary.

G

·
I put on BUBs over a year ago and, aside from some popping because I, in my ignorance, didn't replace my crush gaskets at first (popping's gone now), they were fine without a rejet or any other work.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
aftermarket cobra's and no rejet....and the pare's still in there....no problems

·
Registered
125 Posts
ems_tim said:
Thanks for the replies. Now, another question. I am looking @ the Samson Shotgun Rip-Saws and in my J&P Cycles catalog, it says baffles are necessary, but can't be used with the rip-saws or street sweepers. The both have a bend at the tips. I don't know why they would be necessary for the straight pipes but not the other two. Any info will help. :shock:
Baffles are not necessary. There are several guys on the board that are running Samson’s without baffles.
You can install baffles in the street sweepers and ripsaws….see link.
http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm#rejettingroadbike
Instead of inserting the baffle from the end of the exhaust pipe, you slip in into the front of the rear pipe where it connects to the header pipe.

·
The BuB Guy
6,538 Posts
ems_tim said:
How many people here have put on after market exhaust and not had to re-jet? Also, the pair valve has to be removed...right?
Had my BuBs on for almost a year before I changed intake at that time I rejeted and did the pair valve removal...it was running fine ....

tomb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok..a slight variation on this question.
we will pick up a '05 1300 today with V&H Big Shots that has a stage 1 jet kit installed. I want to put the stock (read quieter) pipes back on. Will we have to un-jet the carb?
Oh yea...it still has the stock air kit and runs like s*&t!

·
Registered
553 Posts
ems_tim said:
If you go with those pipes, you may want to consider torque cones. Though not baffles, they protect backpressure and your valves. They fit into the exhaust where they fasten to the head of the motor........If you look at Samson/Shogun site, they have them listed. Kinda expensive, but I gotta Bud who uses them, and they work. Oh, and the pipes are louder than h e double hockey sticks....... :twisted:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would back pressure really be an issue with these pipes? The Samsons are only 1/4" bigger ( I think ) in diameter than the stockers. So these things are LOUD?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
vicegrip said:
Ok..a slight variation on this question.
we will pick up a '05 1300 today with V&H Big Shots that has a stage 1 jet kit installed. I want to put the stock (read quieter) pipes back on. Will we have to un-jet the carb?
Oh yea...it still has the stock air kit and runs like s*&t!
Not necessarily (especially if it is running like $hit from being a little lean). Just go back to stock & see how it runs before you change anything. You're not going to hurt it any by experimenting.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Cobra speedsters with re-jet still have pair valve have a K&N filter coming
no pop on decel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts