Honda VTX Forum banner

How many VTX 1800s and 1300s have been sold?

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  VTreX1800c 
#1 ·
In reading some of the problems encountered by VTX owners (as with any mechanical product), eg. rear flang bearing, etc, it would be nice to put this in perspective. What is the total number of VTX 1800 and VTX 1300 that have been sold? I would expect it increased a lot last year with the 03 incentive program being offered. Just curious if anyone has seen the numbers.
Kevin

#4 ·
Spike,
Yea, I am sure there are many more with no problems, but it is just one of those things someone like me in the automotive quality field likes to find out. PPM (Parts Per Million defective), and other quality ratings, especially when you see a trend. We actually supply both Ohio Honda plants, but nothing for the bikes yet.
Thanks,
Kevin

#5 ·
I wonder if NTSB, DOT or state motor vechiles would have any figure on how many are registered?

#8 ·
Chicago-Spike said:
Suffice it to say, there are many more VTXs that have no problems that have. 8)
But How many people are riding on bad bearings and don't even know it? :?:
Maybe we should do a pole about if you checked , yourself or by dealer??
When I bought my new Flange and it was rough feeling out of the box I was told it was normal. NORMAL?? :?: ??
After having a second one ordered and it came in rough also, same response. I couldn't wait for a 3rd one I leaving on a trip. I had them copy my mileage on the bike and told them I would be back after the trip.
See what it looks like after about 3000 miles.
Even if it is not a safety problem it is a defective product.

#9 ·
BigRedXer said:
Even if it is not a safety problem it is a defective product.
OK, I never said it wasn't an issue and there is a sticky at the top of the Tech page asking for people that have actually had bad bearings to give their information so that Tapper can send that to the NHTSA for them to look into this.
It still has little bearing(pun) on his question on "How many were made" Honda does keep that to themselves. 8)

#10 ·
Seems to me that the build number is in the vin number. This would tell you what number any particular bike was for that year. Mine for example, was around number 2000 in '02. We have enough people on this board and everyone should know their vin number, so it should be possible to get an approximate count. That is if someone cares enough to go through the effort :?: :eek: Not me :!:

#12 ·
The vin number may tell you how many have been produced but not how many have been sold, and are on the highway. This would give a better indication of the % of bikes having a given defect. I just thought it would be interesting to know. It also would give a good statistical sample to know how many people have had a failure vs the number of owners sampled. I will keep an eye on the poll numbers and see if I can put some numbers together.
Kevin

#13 ·
OOPs :oops: There wasn't a poll. I used the numbers for people who read the flange bearing poll vs the number of problems reported, (which would be skewed significantly due to repeat readers), and got around 7800 Parts Per Milllion defective, or less than one out of 100. But like BigRedXer said, how many don't know yet.
Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.