Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all,this is a great,informative site! I bought a new 06 VTX 1300s about two months ago, and have had a `rap` or knock on acceleration since I drove it off the stealer`s lot. By all I have read here,it seems that this is normal.I have let the dealer`s tech ride it, and he says that nothing sounds unusual.I am a auto tech by trade,and if I heard thid noise in something with four wheels it would be torn apart for inspection.I guess what I am looking for is some reassurance that this should not become a problem when the warranty runs out. I switched to Amzoil at 2500 miles.Shifts better now. Nice running bike,just a bit concerned about the noise.Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Some is normal. But no two I've ever rode sounded the same either.

Since you're an auto tech you could easily check the valve clearance yourself just to be sure. Plenty of "how to" instructions on the tech.vtxoa.com

It might just put your mind at ease to check them. Did the dealer do the first vavle adjustment at 600miles or did you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I adjusted the valves at 600 mi. They were all slightly tight.ait`s not a valve type `tick`, I have a bit of that,but that`s good.

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
I know these engines are a bit noisy but I've yet to hear one in the shop or with the groups I ride with here have anything like what you're mentioning.

Do you have more than one dealer in your area? Since it's under warranty still I wouldn't want to tear into it that far. But trying a different dealer or even talking to the service manager might net something.

Sounds kinda like a lower end knock? Like a bad main bearing on a Chevy V8?

It's under acceleration only? What grade gas are you using? Book says 87, but if it's knocking it wouldn't hurt to go up a grade or change brands.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It almost sounds like gear knock, maybe between primary and/or idler and counter balance gears. I can change noise intensity with amount of throttle applied. Tends to lessen at higher rpm.(or just blends in more)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had a lot of racket going on too. I've been whenchin' for 20 years so tore it apart to do valve adjustment and my noise is side to side play in my front cylinder's Intake rocker arm journals. Even with the play the arm still falls on the base of the valve stem and not on the spring keepers. Put it back together and tried to take advantage of my warranty by running the he double l out of it. That was 4 months ago. Still running great just gutted my exhaust and rigged my Ipod. Dont hear the racket anymore.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
When I had the stock pipes on - The engine thump is louder. The back pressure from the stock exahaust may cause some of thisnoise. I mounted Stock Harley mufflers - noticed the same noise.

After I drilled out the Harley mufflers for better sound - I no longer hear the thumping. Now people will say its because the sound is masked by the loud mufflers. My mufflers are not that loud. I can stealth out of my neighborhood - so my theory is the added backpressure from the stock exhaust can cause the thump to sound louder. One man's opinion.

G

·
Too Much engine noise !

Hi, You know your hearing bad engine noises when they are combined with metal to blacktop " Pinging " sounds ! Up to that she's good to go ! 8) ....WVleo

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
jeffsmith101 said:
First of all,this is a great,informative site! I bought a new 06 VTX 1300s about two months ago, and have had a `rap` or knock on acceleration since I drove it off the stealer`s lot. By all I have read here,it seems that this is normal.I have let the dealer`s tech ride it, and he says that nothing sounds unusual.I am a auto tech by trade,and if I heard thid noise in something with four wheels it would be torn apart for inspection.I guess what I am looking for is some reassurance that this should not become a problem when the warranty runs out. I switched to Amzoil at 2500 miles.Shifts better now. Nice running bike,just a bit concerned about the noise.Thanks in advance for your responses.
Not really sure how some people on a message board can reassure you regarding a noise they cannot hear. Why don't you take it to another dealer and let them listen to it?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well i'm glad i'm not the only mechanic who is thinking:
Sounds kinda like a lower end knock? Like a bad main bearing on a Chevy V8?
AND
if I heard thid noise in something with four wheels it would be torn apart for inspection
I've got 6200 miles on my '051300C and I gotta say i'm starting to get fed up! Mabey I worry to much but i'm starting to wonder if Harleys make this much noise!

Oh and as far as the pinging, I've tried every grade of gas and nothing seems to help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts