Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what folks think about how old your kids should be before you'd feel comfortable taking them for a ride on your motorcycle.

I've got 3 young kids and as they get older they're more and more eager to come for a ride on the bike.
My wife says never. I think a kid would have enough understanding of what's going on at 10 to come but I think I'm going to wait until 13 to allow the first ride.

I also told each of them I'd buy them their first bike when they get their license. Hopefully they have some dirt experience before that, though.

·
Old Goat
25,386 Posts
I have no children...dont know how I would handle it ,if I did...but back in the day rule of thumb on here was not until their feet could touch the pegs...and their may be local laws..????....others will be along ...Good Luck and keep them safe... (y)

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
The bad part is you can't be inside a kid's head at all times, and how are they going to react to certain situations w/o endangering themselves or the driver?

·
Registered
1 Posts
my son was 8 years old when he became my copilot,i taught him the basics of biking like lean with me and above all,hold on tight as you can.i rode very carefully with him aboard and just let him experience the wonder of riding,now he is a teenager and still loves to ride,i am sure when the old 1800 gets too heavy for dad that he will pick up where i left off.been on two wheels for 40 plus years and now my son will be my next gen rider

·
Registered
959 Posts
My nephew was 9.5 when he came out for the first visit. Sat him in front of me (yeah, I know....we were both young then). Rode with BACA for a while and we were always taking kids on rides. No need to over think it. A short "you go where I go" conversation is all it took. PS I never want anyone back there who doesn't want to be.

Reactions: Blast

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
IMO, it really is an individual situation. Physically, being able to set their feet on the pegs (as TennX pointed out) is a must. My children wanted to ride with me starting at about 8 or 9 years. Susan was a very attentive child, very good at doing as she was told. She was probably 11 when I first took her along on a short hop. Erik, on the other hand, is/was kind of a daredevil. Always pushing it on his bike and skateboard and, sometimes 'forgetting' established boundaries. He was closer to 13 when he finally got to ride with me. Erik loved to ride with me til he was about 16, then it was no longer 'cool'. Susan will still hop on at the drop of a hat, and she's 36 now! A rail (sissy bar) makes any passenger more relaxed.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
And a helmet that fits properly too. An oversized helmet may be more dangerous than none at all. I had assumed PPE was taken for granted. Boots, gloves, long pants, and at the very least a sturdy denim jacket. If they enjoy it, and are going to ride with any regularity I would strongly suggest 'real' MC gear.

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
also No Children.

my long time riding buddy Bill S. . had 2 boy's and one girl ( the youngest )

when the young'ens feet fit on the pegs.. for his girl he moved the pegs up higher on the frame ( she was 8 )

check you state laws.. then you and your wife "TALK" about it.

Reactions: rangers4u and Blast

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It is legal and then personal decision. One thing to consider is that some kids go to sleep too easy and you can't have that either. My grandkids have ridden more with me than my kids ever did.

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
It is legal and then personal decision. One thing to consider is that some kids go to sleep too easy and you can't have that either. My grandkids have ridden more with me than my kids ever did.
View attachment 176446
not that a child is like an adult.
before you say anything..
My Wife was 5 foot 2 inches tall and back then 110 pounds

my Wife was a better passenger when asleep.. for Hours on the Goldwing
or she read paperback books on the bike.
backrest,outrigger armrests. she could not fall off.. just bang my helmet often.

duel headphones.. so I could tell if she was sleeping.. ( she Snores )

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Consider that statistically you and a child on a bike are many times more likely to be involved in a crash and many times more likely to die or be injured. Consider that adults are morally responsible for protecting children and not exposing them to unnecessary risks of death or serious injury.

Have I ever ridden any kids on my motorcycle. Yes, those old enough to ride legally and after seriously gearing them up. Where you ride and what speeds you'll be going should play a big role in your decision to ride or not. Should kids be passengers on a busy freeway? I think not. How about a busy town, but at low speeds? I wouldn't. Country roads with almost no traffic? Probably OK. A short ride around your neighborhood at low speeds? Probably OK.

I have a few memories of being ridden on motorcycle at age 12 and they were terrifying and fun at the same time. We all love the idea of giving a kid a thrill and sharing the fun of a motorcycle ride, but any decision must be weighed against risk. Also Mom's must be totally OK with it too.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
23 Posts
My kid was 6.5 when I first let him get on the back of the bike, but he’s was and continues to be the tallest kid in the class, so I would probably go a couple year later with an average sized child. We also wear all the PPE and helmets as well.
When I first started him out, we would just go around the block a couple times and over the course of the first season, we would build up to going around the block to across town, and now we are up to highway speeds for about 35-50 mins at a time, enough to get to the next town over and back. If I had some land, I would consider buying a little 80-100cc and let him try riding by himself.

·
Premium Member
7,139 Posts
My son was 8. He got his first bike at 9. He ride with me on the VTX, and later the Harley until 14. Then he got his scooter. 50ccs of 2 stroke freedom. Got his VFR at 16. The message is that teaching children who are interested in how to be a passenger, makes them a better rider. Becoming a better rider, makes them a better passenger.

I remember when I bought him his first bike. A brand new, out of the crate, KX65. A real competition bike. I'd already had him track instructed on PW50s and he was ready for a clutch and some real power. My wife was mortified, he'd break an arm or a leg or something. I told her that he's a kid, he will definitely push it too far and find the limit. If we're lucky he will walk away with a new respect. If unlucky, he could get seriously hurt. But he's a kid, all boy, you can't bubble wrap them. He'd already been jumping his BMX bike off of the deck, no way was I going to stifle what is, and should be, every kid's dream. Of course he had to show me responsibility and understanding, but he had earned some freedom. Several dirt bikes later and then his scooter, another fearful moment for my wife, and another very positive experience in freedom and responsibility for a 14 year old. BTW, he paid for the scooter with his own money and although needed dad to help him wrench it to a safe and reliable state, he worked for it, and earned it. Then came his street bike, a riding course, a license, and now he is a safe responsible rider who likely will ride for life.

The message is, the right time is as soon as it is legal, and as soon as they are ready, showing a desire to, znd mature enough to take it seriously. Time on a bike with dad, or grandpa is a gift of experience you can give kids that they will carry for the rest of their lives. Possibly you will encourage the next generation of riders, who will influence their circle of friends to share in the freedom and enjoyment that only riding can provide. Follow the kid's lead on this though. If they are interested, as much as they want. If not, then find another common interest to fill in the gaps. Whatever you do, let them live like a kid. Don't bubble wrap them, don't isolate them. Risk taking and risk mitigation is an important life skill that not enough children learn these days. Kids should be allowed to fall and scrape their knees. They should be able to find the limits and possibly get hurt. That's part of being a kid. Teach them about right and wrong. About being responsible, and respectful. Kids should be allowed to be kids.

·
Super Moderator
6,634 Posts
You can buy, or fashion a harness for them yourself. They should be able to reach the pegs. The harness is there in case they fall asleep.
I had a pair of grab bars on my VTX for when my kids were young. They bolted right onto the backrest and luggage rack. I believe they were Hondaline if memory serves.

·
Premium Member
7,139 Posts
If you are concerned with them falling asleep, invest in some Bluetooth headsets. For shorter pleasure rides some kids will natter away as long as you prompt them every once in a while. Not every kid is a talker, and until you're sure they'll stay awake a harness us a good idea. I never had to worry about it, mine was on an adrenaline rush from when he heard the 1800 throbbing with it's Nascar cadence, until we pulled it into the garage, and every minute in between. Sleep? I could go for a ride too close to bed time ... he wouldn't settle down and go to sleep ... Lol.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Not every kid is a talker, and until you're sure they'll stay awake a harness us a good idea.
Good idea, just make sure the harness is to you not the bike. :oops:

·
Premium Member
7,139 Posts
Good idea, just make sure the harness is to you not the bike. :oops:
Good point. And as you had mentioned, if a harness is needed, further precautions to mitigate risk should be considered. No one condones reckless endangerment, only quality time for the kids.

Reactions: Blast
1 - 20 of 23 Posts