Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1300 final drive and am excited about changing it out. I've done tire changes before. Is this a matter of 4 bolts and oil? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Pull your wheel as normal. Pull your left shock off the bike and make sure you transfer the backup washer on the finals shock mount to the new final. Brake loose all four acorn nuts on the final and pull 3 of them off. Support the final in one hand and pull the remaining acorn off. Slowly pull straight aft and the final should come off along with the driveshaft still attached. If the shaft stayed in the swingarm, pull it out and inspect the seal on the finals end for any damage.

The driveshaft is held in the finals coupler by a small snap ring on the end of it. To seperate the driveshaft from the final, hold the final flat on a bench and give the driveshaft a hard jerk or pull out...................the driveshaft should snap out. Dont drop it. The end is very fragile...............dont ask, but I know this!:roll: The driveshaft also has a small spring which installs into the end of the driveshaft. Make sure that spring did not stay in the old final. That spring, seats in a bore on the end of the driveshaft................

Two schools of thought here. One, you can install the driveshaft in the new final now, and then install the final as an assembly back into the swing arm as a unit. Two, you can install the driveshaft into the swingarm seperate, and then carefully pickup the driveshaft while installing the final using the finals coupler to grasp the shaft. I perfer this way as I can feel the driveshaft insert into the u-joint first. If you do it seperate, as you push the final on, the driveshaft will click into place. If you dont hear it, dont sweat it, it went.

Axle alignment is next. With the new final installed and the acorn nuts semi tight, install the axle now without the tire. Shove it in through the final and through the other side of the swing arm. With the axle in, now torque up the finals nuts. This aligns the drive line by making sure the axle and the final drive are square to the other side of the scoot. There is a lot of radial play at the finals mount and this step aligns it.

Next is the shock install with the transferred backup washer, and the wheel as usual..................................

Last note:
Make sure the new final has a spacer collar installed in it. The collar is a distance collar for the wheel. If it is not there, the wheel will bind as the axle is tightened......................

Show

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Show!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
For alignment, I just do the final tightening of the acorns last, after wheel and axle is installed and torqued.

·
Registered
735 Posts
No matter who shipped the final to you, be sure and check the fluid level in the final prior to riding. I was told mine was shipped full as it came off a new 08 bike. I checked it after the install and:shock:. I think it took 120cc of hypoid:yikes:. It had all leaked out of the vent during shipping. Maybe UPS guys used it to practice for a turkey bowling tournament:dontknow:

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
Looks like Show took care of U.. Its really pretty straight forward..

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would it be easiest to take the shocks off while on the ground or on a lift? I have one of those HF motorcycle lifts. Again thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Would it be easiest to take the shocks off while on the ground or on a lift? I have one of those HF motorcycle lifts. Again thanks
Shock(s) pull off easiest with bike on lift but just before tire leaves the ground, no compression or tension. When the wheel is off they come off easy anyway.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
VTX1800NR
No matter who shipped the final to you, be sure and check the fluid level in the final prior to riding. I was told mine was shipped full as it came off a new 08 bike. I checked it after the install and
. I think it took 120cc of hypoid:yikes:. It had all leaked out of the vent during shipping. Maybe UPS guys used it to practice for a turkey bowling tournament:dontknow:
:agree:I'm The guy that shipped the final, and glad to hear you got it Psalmist. Hope the FedEx guys handled it OK.

NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO REFILL THE FINAL FROM ME; I DRAIN EACH ONE BEFORE SHIPPING
Sorry for yelling :popcorn:

Anyone interest in a 1300 final, have more but have not posted them.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
VTX1800NR

:agree:I'm The guy that shipped the final, and glad to hear you got it Psalmist. Hope the FedEx guys handled it OK.

NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO REFILL THE FINAL FROM ME; I DRAIN EACH ONE BEFORE SHIPPING
Sorry for yelling :popcorn:

Anyone interest in a 1300 final, have more but have not posted them.

What do you get for them? :dontknow:

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
ReRide sent me the first request for a final so this is the list for choice of 1300 finals. (let know if your interested)
1) ReRide
2) M.E.
3) HiVoltg

Sorry for the scrape the trike monkeys put them on pallets and the paint is scraped up. These are off of new 07 and 08 1300s.
If you don't have bags and not into touching up or refinishing the final you may want to buy the one's from

nuttingcustomtrikes they look perfect by the picture. If you have bags or can touch up, paint or polish alum, take a look at these.
I'm just trying to earn a hair cut. Here's 2 for sale shown in 2 angles each.

About the same condition, just pick which scratchs you prefer.

Either of them $220 Plus $15 shipping [lower 48 only]
like the others some scrapes, If I locate a perfect one it would be $250.
So I figure your shop time at about $15 a hr and subtract the time from the premo price($250).
Just tring to be fair :thumbup:

I will post 2 more later this week:popcorn:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Any regrets?

Have been reading as many posts as I can about changing the final drive on an 1800 to a 1300 final. I think that I want to do this!!! Just wondering if anyone that has done it, has any regrets and what they are????? I am always looking for that next gear, but just trying to make sure that it is the right thing for me. Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have no regrets, love it, especially in first gear, stock was too low for me. I think someone may prefer the 1800 gears if they ride 2 up, on the heavy side, with full gear most of the time, and towing a trailer, in a hilly area. I haven't seen or heard any regrets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1300 final drive

VTXHOGG
Do you have any more final drives? I want one if you do. Let me know how much and when you think I could get one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts