Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just trying to be prepared for when I get my stuff back from BD's. I need to remove the petcock from my old tank and install it in the new one.

Kfox

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Remove the screws...take it over to the new tank...install new gasket and re-install screws. :wink: The hard part is getting the jetting on the new tank dialed in. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New gasket. O.K. that's the kind of thing I was wondering about. Did I need to get anything to be prepared.

Thanks,
Kfox

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Just unhook the fuel and vacuum lines and use a crescent wrench to remove it. (Of course make sure the tank's empty). Installation is just as simple. There is no gasket to my knowledge and mine doesn't leak. There is a pic of something under the screen, when looking at HDL's fiche, but it doesn't list it as a gasket per se, and it's available only as part of the screen assembly.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Tomorrow I'm going to redo the soldering I did the other day [email protected]$$%$%#@##!!!! Then I'm going to do the valves since it's time anyway. Then I just have to wait 2-3 more weeks to get my tins back. I'm not sure what's worse. Redoing the soldering or waiting for the tins. I've never done the valves myself, so I don't know how much of a pain that is yet.

Kfox

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Valves are a piece of cake, provided you've de-paired it. Otherwise I'm sure all that plumbing could be obtrusive. I can only vaguely remember it all since I removed it soon after getting the bike. Just take your time and be patient and you'll be fine. Have you picked up a service manual?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure I have a manual. I just have to find it. That may be harder than doing the valves. I have removed the pair valves.

Kfox

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Sinned said:
You sure you want to go with the stock petcock when you can get one of these?

Does that Pingel have a vacuum port? I've been checking them out. Do you have a pic of it mounted? Part number and cost?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
DonvtxC said:
Sinned said:

Does that Pingel have a vacuum port? I've been checking them out. Do you have a pic of it mounted? Part number and cost?
I haven't installed yet, but yeah it's straight gravity fed, so you block the vacuum line.

http://www.ridevmc.com/items.asp?Cc=VTX1300EF

Down at the bottom of the page, there's 2 to choose from, diamond (the one I have) and round. Will post pics when I get ti on

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Sinned said:
DonvtxC said:
Sinned said:

I haven't installed yet, but yeah it's straight gravity fed, so you block the vacuum line.

http://www.ridevmc.com/items.asp?Cc=VTX1300EF

Down at the bottom of the page, there's 2 to choose from, diamond (the one I have) and round. Will post pics when I get ti on
I'm all over that. Never did like the oem unit. Have to order an A/F screw from Hick and do a little tuning anyway, so I'll do it all at once.

·
Registered
100 Posts
pingel

Sinned said:
You sure you want to go with the stock petcock when you can get one of these? does that mean with the new pingel you will have to shut the valve off everytime you are done rideing, and does that mean you will have no reserve. thanks

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Re: pingel

cleancar said:
Sinned said:
You sure you want to go with the stock petcock when you can get one of these? does that mean with the new pingel you will have to shut the valve off everytime you are done rideing, and does that mean you will have no reserve. thanks
They do have reserve and yes, you're supposed to turn it off when turning off the bike, but many don't, with no problems. I'm putting mine on next weekend.

·
Registered
100 Posts

DonvtxC said:
cleancar said:
Sinned said:
They do have reserve and yes, you're supposed to turn it off when turning off the bike, but many don't, with no problems. I'm putting mine on next weekend.[/quote thanks donvtxc i will be ordering one also]

·
Registered
4,724 Posts

cleancar said:
DonvtxC said:
cleancar said:
Sinned said:
They do have reserve and yes, you're supposed to turn it off when turning off the bike, but many don't, with no problems. I'm putting mine on next weekend.[/quote thanks donvtxc i will be ordering one also]
I wouldn't order it from Viking. There's a thread on them (recent....do a search) and you may not get your valve for quite awhile. I called Pingel directly and they were out of the Diamond one, so I got the last one from Dennis Kirk. But Pingel called the next day and said they'd come in, so I'd call them. They'll ship the same day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
pingel

To late don i already ordered it. as long as i get it i dont mind the wait, wish i would have known earlier but i ordered it the first thing this morning. went for a ride early. thanks for the info don

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
can we see some pics of the finished install?

I have had my stock one fail and I'd rather take it off and not give it another chance to leave me stranded at 4am

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Kfox said:
How the heck can a petcock fail?

Kfox
the vacuum actuated diaphram can stop working...Mine was replaced under warranty.

I would just rather take the vacuum element out of the loop.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Crap. I was going to leave it stock because the stock one doesn't bother me. Now I'm second guessing that.

Kfox

1 - 20 of 21 Posts