Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Sorry if someone answered this already, but I did a search and could not find the answer. I am in the process of flushing the coolant on my 2004 VTX 1800C and my model has the metal tip at the end of the main fuel line instead of the rubber hose that connects to the left bottom of the tank like the newer models.

Do you guys have any tips on how to connect an auxiliary fuel tank so I can run the bike without the tank to burp the system?

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Not familiar with 1800 fitting...but perhaps a Matching Female fitting with enough tailpiece for rubber hose to connect to aux...tanks...I have a plastic tuners tank that I use to do mine...rubber hose with 3/8 fitting that slides into my 1300 gas line...good luck

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
You don't need to mess with that line to change the coolant. The tank can be manipulated (once unbolted) out of the way of the filler neck. A new ATF funnel will make refilling the system easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not familiar with 1800 fitting...but perhaps a Matching Female fitting with enough tailpiece for rubber hose to connect to aux...tanks...I have a plastic tuners tank that I use to do mine...rubber hose with 3/8 fitting that slides into my 1300 gas line...good luck
The 1300 is a lot easier for what I've seen. But thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need to mess with that line to change the coolant. The tank can be manipulated (once unbolted) out of the way of the filler neck. A new ATF funnel will make refilling the system easy.
Hey Blast, I already took the tank out because I'm doing the desmog, valve adjustment, ground fix and the coolant flush. If I don't find a better way to do that, I might put the tank back on and do that. Let's see if someone has figured out another way

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If you want an identical metric sized banjo fitting you can get one with a barb for push on hose at a hydraulic supply jobber. Grab a caliper and get the i.d., o.d., and thickness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want an identical metric sized banjo fitting you can get one with a barb for push on hose at a hydraulic supply jobber. Grab a caliper and get the i.d., o.d., and thickness.
Thanks! That's a great idea. I measured the inside of the banjo on the tank and it's 12mm. I found this one online and it's fits a 8mm i.d. hose

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I siphoned most of the fuel out of the tank, was able to lift it high enough to access the rad top, filled it , & put the tank back down .

I started it to "burp" it with the remaining fuel in the tank.

Reactions: Harkon and dsbarros

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
An 04 1800C has the fuel pump in the tank. Anything you use will need to be pumped. I did the same as the Doctor above. For the number of times it needs flushing, it's not too big of a pain to just use what you already have on hand. It is easier if you have the bike in a wheel chock, so that it can stand verically instead of on the kick stand.

I would not compromise the fuel hose with a different end. It is FI hose and the ends are intended to be crimped on due to the pressures. I, personally, would not mess with it. You do not need to be cruising around town and have the fuel hose blow off. It's not inconceivable you have turned your bike into a weenie roast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An 04 1800C has the fuel pump in the tank. Anything you use will need to be pumped. I did the same as the Doctor above. For the number of times it needs flushing, it's not too big of a pain to just use what you already have on hand. It is easier if you have the bike in a wheel chock, so that it can stand verically instead of on the kick stand.

I would not compromise the fuel hose with a different end. It is FI hose and the ends are intended to be crimped on due to the pressures. I, personally, would not mess with it. You do not need to be cruising around town and have the fuel hose blow off. It's not inconceivable you have turned your bike into a weenie roast.
Thanks Harkon. I wans't going to mess with the bike's fuel hose. I was going to use a new hose. But you brought up a good point, if the fuel pump is in the tank, if I connect a gravity-fed line to the bike, it won't have pressure. I'm starting to think that the best option will be to connect the tank and run the bike with it.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
I just wanted to thank everyone's help. I managed to do everything I needed on my bike... desmog, valve adjustment and coolant flush. I'd love to post the video I recorded here, but I'm not sure it's allowed.
Congrats and its allowed...maybe post in Maintenance forum or how to...or hell right here ...good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts