Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so i recently purchased a 2006 vtx 1300R and connot for the life of me find the compartment with the tool kit in it. I want to use this more for keeping my registration and insurance in then for the tools themselves because i heard they were a joke anyways. is it possible any of you could post a picture of this said compartment so i know what i am looking for? i tried youtube but to no avail. http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_tool_kit_on_a_Honda_vtx_1800 this is the most helpful thing i could find but even with this info i cannot see what they are referring to

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its behind/attached to the battery box under the left side cover.... the side cover pops off.
is there any way possible you could snap a picture of it for me? i see the plastic under the seat and behind the ignition kind of but cannot figure out to get it off. not alot of room to work with and limited visibility.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If your lucky theres a tool kit there and if there is the tools are pretty much junk. I built my own and put it in the space. But its a Honda?

·
Super Moderator
6,743 Posts
The previous owner may have mounted a fuse/relay terminal box over the lid of the storage compartment. That's where I put mine, and I carry the tools in a tool bag that is mounted to the back of my backrest.

Just remove the left side cover and look for the "key" hole slot. If you can't see one, it's been covered. It is NOT under the seat....

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just grab the cover on both sides and pull. Held in place by pins thru rubber grommets, check to see if the grommets stayed on the bike or came off with the pins. If they came off with the pins you will have to put them back on the bike first. I put a little o-ring lube in the grommets so they don't stick to the pins.

The wiring to the left on mine is a speedohealer. Normally the owners manual is stored in here too but in place of it I have that zipped case.

Another pic I already had uploaded, mostly shows the speedohealer but you can see the closed toolkit too.

·
Registered
31,126 Posts
On my 07, I have to pull out the rear of the side cover, then move the cover forward to remove.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Like stated above, make sure you have the rubber grommets from the rear of the cover AND the rubber inserts from the front of the cover.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just pop the left cover off. It should have three rubber grommets holding it on. Just grab in the top left corner and pull with steady even force and it will "POP". Then do the rest one by one. I re-purposed mine (I have another tool bag and hard bags) I didn't need it in the way it was designed. Here is a picture of my new "device charging station".
WP_000829.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks you guys! I was able to find it as soon as I got home from work last night. Everything was in there a bunch of old tools and the owners manual in a ziplock bag along with the previous owners insurance and registration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since we are discussing 1300R tools, anyone know of a good tool set to replace the original? Bought my X used and I'm pretty sure the toolkit is missing some stuff... :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's not much of a tool kit I went to harbor freight and for less than $50 put together a nice toolkit including a bag that can actually be used to perform some real on road repairs. I'll leave it up to the individual as to what constitutes a useful kit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts