1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 VTX1800S
Cobra slashcut exhaust,
Power Commander

Currently I'm getting about 100 miles between fills (87 octane) before the gas light comes on, maybe a little less depending. Thats only 25 miles to the gallon, a little dissapointing.

Where should I look to increase gas milage?

Would a better Power commander map help?

I am about 200 pounds, and shift at about
25-45-60-80
and into 5th for long stretches on the highway where powerband isn't concern. And my mileage is a mix of highway and city.

How will sitting on the bike when filling give me better MPG? is it just because you can get a little extra gas in the tank with it upright?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Park it? :lol: :p :lol:

Actually, if it's a C model that is about average.

Oops, I see it is an S which is 5.3 gal? :oops:

Must be the wrist!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Re: How to increase gas mileage?

venarius said:
03 VTX1800S
Thats only 25 miles to the gallon, a little dissapointing.

Where should I look to increase gas milage?

Would a better Power commander map help?

How will sitting on the bike when filling give me better MPG? is it just because you can get a little extra gas in the tank with it upright?
Way low based on how you say you ride, I would look for 35+ with your weight/shift points.

No sure on how well your pipes flow but they are not the root of the problem. I say unless your PC is custom mapped then disconnect it. Did this decrease occur after pipes and PC or has it always sucked?

Definitely!

Holding it upright will get a tad more gas in which is way more important to us C riders then you R folks. Won't improve your miles but with the MPG's you're getting it can't hurt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Slow down seems to be the concensus here and I have to agree. I'm usually in 5th gear between 40 and 55mph depending on speed limt. I'm getting bout 35mpg when i'm riding hard and bout 44 cruising at 70. Slowing down will help but so will shifting sooner.

chucksvtx1800R

·
Registered
10 Posts
100 miles is the same I am getting on my bike. When the light comes on you still have 30 or more percent of your gas left.

I have modified my exhaust and airbox only. I cruise in the country mostly under 55 mph. I never go into 5th gear until over 60 mph my bike lugs before that in 5th.

The real question is do you want to get better milage because of the gas prices? If this is the case drive slower and shift sooner with no high rpm use at all. This is kinda boring on a bike if you ask me....but you didnt lol.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I am only getting abot 120 per tank with my new 2004 1800C and thats srictly stock, no mods at all yet. Thats only about 30 mpg.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't drive 55.....went on a ride a few days ago with a buddy who only drives the speed limit and got 45 mpg......normaly we drive 80 plus

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check your tire pressure. If your running about 33 psi you'll lose about 3-5 a gallon. I had that problem, and now run my tires at 40-41 psi and put a K&N kit on it. All together I got about 10-12 more a gallon, but I'm running a (R). Also do you ride when it's really windy? Do you have a windshield or not, That can also effect it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's your PCIII that's killing your milage. You've probably got a map for performance in there...can't have both with the computers we have on the bike. I get around 40avg with my Techlusion Fuel Nanny set really low on only the bottom end pot. If I turn the midrange pot on at all, I'm down to 30-32. I have gotten 45 with the Nanny on low but just once, I've done 44 quite a few times...and those are actually running pretty hard (75-100mph) and gunning it a good bit. Seems the worst milage is running slow in town, stop and go stuff. A PCIII will push a lot of unburned fuel out the pipes when you're cruising to ensure you have it when you gun it. That's how it works, just based on RPM, not load. Least that's my opinion,some more knowladgeable folks on PCIII may know something I don't.

And BadAxe, how many gallons are you putting in at 120mi? My light usually comes on around there but I'm only putting around 3 Gal in...that's 40mpg...check how much fuel you're adding cause the light comes on with more than a gallon left on most of the X's that have checkid it.

G

·
0 Posts
Tire psi. is one thing you must keep an eye on, the next step would to lean your pcIII down, if you don't mind messing with it, I was getting a solid 34 MPG. and I leaned down 1 led on the low side, 3 on the mid, 1 on the high and before that some one told me it smelled like it was running rich when they were behind me, I now get 40.xx with a little in town riding ( mostly highway miles )

G

·
0 Posts
sabrechuck said:
Slow down seems to be the concensus here and I have to agree. I'm usually in 5th gear between 40 and 55mph depending on speed limt. I'm getting bout 35mpg when i'm riding hard and bout 44 cruising at 70. Slowing down will help but so will shifting sooner.

chucksvtx1800R
I agree with this 100%.
Gary

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
EricR said:
It's your PCIII that's killing your milage. You've probably got a map for performance in there...can't have both with the computers we have on the bike.

That's how it works, just based on RPM, not load. Least that's my opinion,some more knowladgeable folks on PCIII may know something I don't.

And BadAxe, how many gallons are you putting in at 120mi? My light usually
What? Not even close... true, a bad map can kill your mileage but performance is not something that you have to sacrifice for mileage... At cruise- I'll probably gain around 10mpg and I picked up another 10 hp just by letting someone that knows what they are doing tune my bike over the entire range of operation... The PCIII lets a knowledgeable person tweak the AFR for a given throttle position and RPM... I'm starting to get beyond my knowledge so I'll stop here. I hope someone will chime in here soon. Bare? Johnnycheese? Someone?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
thunderone said:
I can't drive 55.....went on a ride a few days ago with a buddy who only drives the speed limit and got 45 mpg......normaly we drive 80 plus
Ditto... I just checked the mileage, after a good tuning by Johnnycheese, and after cruising at 85 for most of the straight stretches (about 70 - 80 miles) and yanking and banking through some twisties that I found... and checking the upper limits of the bike (to verify things :) )... and riding thru a bunch of little towns... I still got 38mpg. That's up from 30mpg at 85mph cruise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mileage

Get the HPP. I have an 03 1800R and always got around 35 mpg. Installed the HPP and HK 3in Big Straights and now get 39 mpg and that's riding the crap out of it. If I slow down, I bet I hit better than 40mpg. :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: Mileage

MrKev said:
Get the HPP. I have an 03 1800R and always got around 35 mpg. Installed the HPP and HK 3in Big Straights and now get 39 mpg and that's riding the crap out of it. If I slow down, I bet I hit better than 40mpg. :D
Agree,

You want performance, get a PCIII. You want better mileage and a little better performance, get a HPP. Had my HPP for over a year, and love it. I can get over 40 if I want, but I can keep up with the best of them also.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The HPP subtracts fuel. It doesn't add. From what I saw on the dyno yesterday, sometimes the engine needs more fuel (like when you are trying for max performance) and sometimes it needs to have fuel removed (cruise). I had 0's in my PCIII map. It's been running that way since I left for Blythe earlier this month. The AFR, with the ECU in stock configuration, was FAT (which is why the HPP is a fuel subtractor and not a fuel adder. They designed for 14:1, or close to that, in all conditions.)

The HPP can't add fuel so I don't see how it can result in more performance. It's an old arguement though... That said, it's probably a good fuel manager for all around riding conditions. So is the PCIII. Once mapped, you're pretty much done with it. The ECU does the fine tuning for you. The PCIII smooths out the AFR curve.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
EricR said:
And BadAxe, how many gallons are you putting in at 120mi? My light usually comes on around there but I'm only putting around 3 Gal in...that's 40mpg...check how much fuel you're adding cause the light comes on with more than a gallon left on most of the X's that have checkid it.
My light comes on at about 90 miles, and I can get to about 120 before I start to stall out. When I fill er up I am getting about 3.9 to 4.3 gallons in there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts