Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was fortunate enough to receive some Kury universal bullet lights for VTX-mas. These lights are the 2305's that Kury advertises as "Universal". They are a 35 watt SINGLE FILAMENT quartz halogen bulb and come with nice convenient 3/8" hollow mounting bolts.

These lights are basic and very easy to install pretty much anywhere on your bike for use as aux. lighting. I wanted to use them to replace the bulky, stock VTX lollipop signal/running lights that are mounted to front forks. In stock form, these new lights just would not work as they came. There is only one wire lead coming off of each one and if I wanted to use it as a turn signal and running light, I would need two wires to make that happen.
Fortunately, there is a way to get it done by use of what is called a "Diode Rectifier". These things are cheap and can be picked up at Radio Shack for less than $5.00. Their function is to only let current flow one way. Using these, I can connect the signal wire and the running light wire both to the single wire that feeds the light. This allows both wires to function without interfering with eachother. Here is a pic of the Diodes. Radio Shack Part # 276-1144.

Now that I have the diodes, wire, connectors, Heat-shrink wrap, some tools and a soldering iron, I am ready to go. I chose to solder these connections, but you can also use crimp-type connectors. The issue I had is that all of these connections must fit into the headlight bucket so soldering them reduced the bulk of the job and made access easier.
First of all, I bought me some Kewl Metal Light brackets to mount these Kury Lights to. Let me just put my product plug in here. These things are beautiful. Easy to install, convenient and great quality. There are other items out there but, as far as looks, I liked this one the best. It just ties the lights together in one neat and appealing package right next to the headlight. It looks factory to me-that's how nice these are. Pic of them here.

First order of business, you need to remove the lollipop lights and unplug them from within the headlight. So, remove the front face of the headlight assembly by unscrewing the two screws on the inside lip of the shroud and also the one screw on the bottom it. Take care to not scratch or damage anything as you do these steps. Some folks use a soft blanket to protect any delicate hardware or surfaces.

Once the face of your headlight is off, you will basically need to unplug six wires total. They are pretty easy to find by following the pig tails of each light assembly into the headlight housing. You will unplug - 2- green ground wires (one on each side): 2- orange wires (left side light): and 2- Light Blue wires (right side light). Here is what the colored wires look like unplugged. Notice that one of the wires of each colored pair has a white stripe on it. The striped wires represent the running light source and the solid wires represent the turn signal source.

Once all of the wires are unplugged, pull the lollipop assemblies and their corresponding wires completely out from behind the headlight case. Now we can move them over to your work bench.
Next, install your light mounting brackets (mine are the Kewl Metal brackets) onto the bike by following the directions. They should look something like this on each side. (Note:I have a headlight extension bracket installed on mine but you can still get the point of the install with the pic).

Now move over to your work bench and begin the modification of the Kury Lights. First, completely disassemble the Kury lights and expose all of the wiring.

The Kury lights come with the ground wire connected to the housing by means of a hex screw. I chose to change this set-up for the future. If, for any reason, I wanted to install a switch in these lights somewhere, I would want the ground available. So, I removed the little ground wire and put an extension on it so I could plug it in to the stock ground location just as the Lollipop's did. I recommend you do this as well. Just unbolt the ground wire from the inside of the Kury housing using a hex key.

Next, cut the attached connector from Kury ground wire, add an extension wire to it, and heat-shrink wrap it.

Now we can fabricate our diode leads that will be used to connect the new Kury lights to the stock wire connectors inside the headlight. Connect two of your new diodes to the end of a piece of new wire. The wire doesn't have to be too long but give yourself enough to be comfortable with. You can always cut them to proper length later. Trim the bullet connector ends off the lollipop leads so that we can reuse them and maintain the stock connections. Connect one of each of the same colored pair to the diodes and wrap each connection. I use styrofoam to hold delicate wires for soldering. It works good and costs nothing. Hows that for C.R.A.P. methods?
In the two below pics, one of the diodes is installed wrong. I snapped this pic before I corrected the arrangement.
Clarification: When using the diodes, the banded end must always point away from the current source. Think of the banded end as the gate that will not let anything back through the wrong way.

Heres what your final diode products should look like.

Now that you have your pre-fab done, gather all of your parts together and move back to the bike.

Now we need to install the Kury lights. The reason we do it in this order (and not after we solder all of the connections onto the New lights) is because you need to fish the two Kury wires through the 3/8" mounting bolt. Now that you have added an extra ground wire, it's kind of a tight squeeze-but not impossible.
Install the lights and fish the wiring back into the headlight casing. From there, we will be able to complete the connections and plug them all back in.
Fish your wire through the 3/8" bolt and install it into the bracket.

Don't forget to add a little locktite (if you have any) and tighten them down!

Once the lights are installed and the wires are pulled in through the back of the headlamp, you can now solder the diodes to the power wire feeding the lights and also connect the ground wire to the green bullet connectors that you clipped off the lollipop lights. This pic is a little dark but you can still see all of the connections that are needed.

Once all your connections are done and wrapped up, plug the wires back into the bullet connectors-being careful to match the wires with their mate. The ground wires can be plugged into either one but the colored wires need to be matched. No exceptions here!

Once they are all connected, put the headlight back together and test her out.
This pic shows the lights in normal operating mode. Man, they are BRIGHT! :D

Here's a shot of the lights operating with the left turn signal engaged. Looks a lot better than those darn lollipops don't they?

After completing this job, my final verdict is that it was well worth the work. The front end is cleaned up nice and the brackets by Kewl Metal worked great. The Kury lights have an eerie resemblance to Honda's stock headlight and it looks as if they were born together. Just a great match-up between form and function IMHO.
Sorry this post is so long, but I wished that I had a post like this to help me when I wanted to install these lamps. I hope that it helps someone else out there in the future. Later for now! 8)

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Nice write up and good pictures

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
An absolutely great write up. And the pictures support the cause.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the props folks.
"It's all done for the greater good of the Brotherhood!" :lol:

Seriously though, I have been luckyenough to get a lot of killer information on Mod How-To's from here...I just thought I would contribute as well.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
70 Posts
great post. its just crazy i was going post to see if any one has installed these lights that kury makes for a HD because I love the look of them. http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=2589

I love the look of them and like you said they match perfect with the headlight and thats what i've been looking for but i couldn't figure out how to do it. the lights look great.

I have an 06' retro and I want to do this for my rear lights. Does any one know how to do this?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Can someone explain the orientation of the diodes? I see one positioned in each direction (silver band up and down). I'm electrically handicapped and it doesn't make any sense to me. I know the diode is like an electrical check valve, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a good eye "VTXpylut". You are not handicapped. The photographer is! LOL..

That was a mistake on my part. I put it together and took the pic before I realized that the diode was backwards. After I took the pic, I corrected the diodes.

Clarification: When using the diodes, the banded end must always point away from the current source. Think of the banded end as the gate that will not let anything back through the wrong way. I will put a clarification in the post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This post was great. I replaced the rear turn signals with the Halogen bullets and have been searching sites to see if this can be done on the front. Every parts store said it can only be done with a dual circut lamp. I ordered the lights and will be installing this Wednesday. I have read the post on this and just want to be clear before I have a wiring mess. The banded end of the diode goes toward the bullet light . Correct ? Which would be away from the power source from inside the lights.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts