Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
2006 VTX1800N3 Stock except for Barnette Clutch Springs
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second 1800. I had a 2004C 10 years ago but sold it. Always regretted that. Iv recently bought a 2006 that had 7000 miles on it. Not many for how old it is. I think maybe enough miles that it didnt allow anything up to dry up substantially. It seems to have been garage kept for the most part. I do see some rust here and there but not bad, and you have to look to find it. In changing the clutch plates Iv found that the rubber gaskets on the right crankcase cover were not in the best of shape. Iv ordered replacements. The clutch fluid was gross and Iv bled that. Iv not looked at the brakes yet. Of course I did oil, final drive, filters. Im sure the tires are original but there seems to be nothing wrong with them visually, but they are 15 years old. Should they be replaced? What else should I do right now?

Registered
YES, replace tires. Lubricate shifter linkage, clutch and brake lever pivot bushings and other moving parts.

Congrats on being back here. 馃嵒

Registered
^^^^AGREE^^^^ ALL rubber gets hard with age, develops micro cracks & dry rot. Regardless of amount of tread, tires are NOT safe. Is your safety worth 2-3 hundred bucks? There is a 4 digit sidewall code: For example 1015 would mean they were mfg'd. in the 10th week of 2015, and as such should be replaced. Over 4-5 years. I started changing out my cooling hoses awhile back. No leaks, but I would not drive a car with 17-18 year old radiator or heater hoses. Asking for trouble. My $.02.

Registered
After you change the tires, continue flushing the hydraulic (brake) systems. Follow sequence/procedure outlined in SM. Run an eyeball over all the soft brake lines. Be nice to get each wheel of the ground and give 'em a spin. Get a read on the wheel bearings. They typically last a LONG time but, it's nice to know. And yes, as ranger and crAzyAce mentioned, replace all coolant/vacuum lines. Lube pivot points in linkage as Jim Travis suggested. Have fun. These are great bikes.

Registered
2006 VTX1800N3 Stock except for Barnette Clutch Springs
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: crAzyAce

Registered
I'll take two sets of tires for 2or3 hundred bucks LOL:LOL:
^^^^AGREE^^^^ ALL rubber gets hard with age, develops micro cracks & dry rot. Regardless of amount of tread, tires are NOT safe. Is your safety worth 2-3 hundred bucks? There is a 4 digit sidewall code: For example 1015 would mean they were mfg'd. in the 10th week of 2015, and as such should be replaced. Over 4-5 years. I started changing out my cooling hoses awhile back. No leaks, but I would not drive a car with 17-18 year old radiator or heater hoses. Asking for trouble. My $.02.

Registered
2008, 1800C
What upgrades did you do if you don't mind me asking?
Racetech front springs & YSS RZ362 shocks. We struggle to get most brands of shock in Australia yet YSS have a huge following here (Australia is a southern asian country demographically regardless of what people think) . Oddly people here don't like progressive whereas the US seem to love them. I had a suspension shop set it all for me with my weight on it. You have to ditch the top bearings in the OEM as the YSS are slightly smaller on the top mount. The bike used to drop/fall into slow corners now it sits rock solid. My OEM suspension only had 35k miles on them & id nearly lose a tooth filling on speed bumps now its great. Also lost that rear wobble at highway speed when you hit a whoop in the tar, now its sits rock solid at any speed & rides straight through those random dips in highway corners. Best thing ever, its now a great bike & the hard bit is trying to remember I no longer need to concern myself with whoops in the road

Registered
Racetech front springs & YSS RZ362 shocks. We struggle to get most brands of shock in Australia yet YSS have a huge following here (Australia is a southern asian country demographically regardless of what people think) . Oddly people here don't like progressive whereas the US seem to love them. I had a suspension shop set it all for me with my weight on it. You have to ditch the top bearings in the OEM as the YSS are slightly smaller on the top mount. The bike used to drop/fall into slow corners now it sits rock solid. My OEM suspension only had 35k miles on them & id nearly lose a tooth filling on speed bumps now its great. Also lost that rear wobble at highway speed when you hit a whoop in the tar, now its sits rock solid at any speed & rides straight through those random dips in highway corners. Best thing ever, its now a great bike & the hard bit is trying to remember I no longer need to concern myself with whoops in the road
Your YSS may be better than Progressive, IDK. FYI, Progressives are only assembled in Calif. Their parts, or at least some of them, come from over your way. Thats why when they told me last Mar. 15 when I ordered them, 3-5 weeks, and I didn't receive them until June 29. A 'part' was keeping them from assembling any of their products.

Reactions: Tankslapper

Registered
Did you install the RaceTech gold valve or just the springs? I have had RaceTech before and they are great and to work with. Also did they give you the springs for the rear? Most rears come set with a set spring.

Registered
2008, 1800C
Did you install the RaceTech gold valve or just the springs? I have had RaceTech before and they are great and to work with. Also did they give you the springs for the rear? Most rears come set with a set spring.
No I left it to see how it feels with just the front springs & rears. Im honestly so very new to cruisers & need to get some confidence up on it pushing it a bit harder & learn more first. I feel a lot better on it now so maybe in a few months I鈥檒l put the golds in. No extra rear springs.

Registered
2008, 1800C
Your YSS may be better than Progressive, IDK. FYI, Progressives are only assembled in Calif. Their parts, or at least some of them, come from over your way. Thats why when they told me last Mar. 15 when I ordered them, 3-5 weeks, and I didn't receive them until June 29. A 'part' was keeping them from assembling any of their products.
Yeah I can only go on what I鈥檓 hearing from 2 suspension shops swapping progressives out for YSS & there seems to be a lot of progressives for sale in local ads which claim to be relatively new. Of course this is the Harley crowd. I鈥檓 yet to see another vtx on the road here since I鈥檝e owned mine yet Harley鈥檚 are damned near every 2nd bike here these days. The Harley dealership here is the 2nd oldest in the world & it looks like a money printing press to me. They appear to enjoy high sales

Registered
Yeah I can only go on what I鈥檓 hearing from 2 suspension shops swapping progressives out for YSS & there seems to be a lot of progressives for sale in local ads which claim to be relatively new. Of course this is the Harley crowd. I鈥檓 yet to see another vtx on the road here since I鈥檝e owned mine yet Harley鈥檚 are damned near every 2nd bike here these days. The Harley dealership here is the 2nd oldest in the world & it looks like a money printing press to me. They appear to enjoy high sales
Actually, it's the 2nd oldest Tshirt selling place that also happens to sell HD motorcycles occasionally.

• Haha
Reactions: Tankslapper

Registered
Yuuup 馃憤 I鈥檓 not into them yet I hear good things about the Milwaukee 8. I鈥檓 not sure the bar was very high though
Milwaukee 8- was that the ones in the Rittenhouse trial who voted to acquit? LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts