Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I need some advice on how to quieten the exhaust on our VTX's with going back to stock pipes. OK, so I'm 59yo and the friend is 60yo but we can still hear (unlike the loud pipes guys).

The situation:
I own a 2002 VTX1800S with 2" Samson Long Cannons. I installed a set of V&H quiet baffles that helped by 3-5dB but I still need to lower the sound more without killing it entirely. I have a 2005 GL1800A for quiet pipe riding.

My friend owns a 2003 VTX1300S with 2.5" HK Classic Starights. A set of Roadburner baffles were ordered Monday but have not been received yet. The HK's are loud enough to attract LEO attention here in Michigan.

What can we do to reduce sound a little more?

When people pack fiberglass in pipes, exactly how is it done?
Do you just roll up some fiberglass and put it in front of the baffles?
Or is the fiberglass wrapped around the length of the baffle?
Any particular kind of fiberglass or will anything do?

·
Super Moderator
64,344 Posts
Wrapping the baffles will do little, as you've said 3-5 dB. No matter what material you use, they will still be loud, just changes the exhaust note is all. Those Sampsons are about the loudest pipes to begin with, you won't get them much quieter. You want a little louder than stock and nice notes from a pipe you go to Roadhouse Brand. They are a little louder and sound good to most

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
OK, so I'm 59yo and the friend is 60yo but we can still hear
That's why I stuck w/stock. @ 50yo I like to hear what's going on around me as I transverse secluded two lane roads, meandering through hills n valleys. It's also why if I ride w/some1 w/loud pipes i'm either in front or trail 1/4-1/2 mile behind...........................

·
Registered
272 Posts
+2 on Roadhouse

·
Registered
773 Posts
Loud pipes

I have been building my own baffles for my bikes. I use the same process that we used to make silencers for our pistols. for the bikes I use large washers spaced out and welded in a tube that fits inside the existing pipes. The spacing of the washers and size of the hole will allow you to control the sound. You may have to machine out the center hole of the washers to limit back pressure, but the method produces a nice tone. Don

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Don that's a interesting little set-up ya got. Does anyone make a slip on that isn't any louder than oem? I was thinking somewhere down the road of dumping the catalitic combo but don't really want anything any louder. I have been aflicted w/OFS.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Maybe 4 you n them that sew the patch on but 4 me experience, payin' attention instead of sight-seein' n being able to hear saves my butt.

·
Registered
984 Posts
bobmeinet said:
A friend and I need some advice on how to quieten the exhaust on our VTX's with going back to stock pipes. OK, so I'm 59yo and the friend is 60yo but we can still hear (unlike the loud pipes guys).

The situation:
I own a 2002 VTX1800S with 2" Samson Long Cannons. I installed a set of V&H quiet baffles that helped by 3-5dB but I still need to lower the sound more without killing it entirely. I have a 2005 GL1800A for quiet pipe riding.

My friend owns a 2003 VTX1300S with 2.5" HK Classic Starights. A set of Roadburner baffles were ordered Monday but have not been received yet. The HK's are loud enough to attract LEO attention here in Michigan.

What can we do to reduce sound a little more?

When people pack fiberglass in pipes, exactly how is it done?
Do you just roll up some fiberglass and put it in front of the baffles?
Or is the fiberglass wrapped around the length of the baffle?
Any particular kind of fiberglass or will anything do?
You have a PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.