Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how to best remove the EOM grips. i bought the Kuryakyn Iso Grips and i all can find are alot of coments that say it is easy to do as soon as you find out how to remove the old ones. can someone help me out on how to do that?

D

·
0 Posts
I think there is a link to Bareass's web page regarding the grips..I too have to take mine off and a little nervous because I have to disconnect the throttle and stuff.I would like to know if there is another way of doing it..

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
Check Bareass site for info. The only thing I remember is the throttle end on the OEM grip unscrews. It is best to unscrew it so you don't have to super-glue the throttle sleeve back together :shock: Otherwise, I think I just cut them off with a very sharp carpet knife. Of course being careful with the remainder of the throttle sleeve :shock: I am pretty sure you don't have to disconnect the throttle :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just cut them off. Remove the end caps and then use a good quality razor knife, carpet knife.

Left is easy. Use both hands (so all your fingers stay connected to your hands). Score the grip slowly, then make another slightly deeper cut. Repeat till you are completely through and peel it away.

Right is same as left but you are more careful to ensure you don't dig into the throttle sleeve. Take your time and gently score. You will see the plastic sleeve when you are all the way through. It's not hard to do. Peel away the old grip... you are done.

Now clean off the old glue on both sides. ALL of it. This is important to get a good fit on your new grips AND to ensure the new grips can easily slide into place. "Dry" practice your fit to ensure your new grips will be in the position you want them. If you screw up and don't have an easy slide and the glue sets with 2" of bar showing you are screwed.

Remember that on the throttle side you don't want to run the grip all the way to rub the throttle housing. I cut a piece of plastic coffee can lid in a "horseshoe" manner to fit the bar. When I pushed the grip on up to the plastic it left me with just enough space.

"RTFI" that come with the grips... then read 'em again before you start. Read the part about which grip goes on which side a few more times.

Some use the supplied glue and others use their own glue. Whatever you use, COVER your bike... especially if it's spray glue. :oops: Trust me!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Take the caps off, use a small screw driver or flat blade to work between the grip and glued surface work it all the way around breaking the glue loose then take an air nozzle and insert it between the grip and handlebar or throttle sleeve, apply air and pull the grip off. Takes about two minutes and you can save your old grips if you want to.

·
Registered
182 Posts
sho-me vtx said:
Take the caps off, use a small screw driver or flat blade to work between the grip and glued surface work it all the way around breaking the glue loose then take an air nozzle and insert it between the grip and handlebar or throttle sleeve, apply air and pull the grip off. Takes about two minutes and you can save your old grips if you want to.

I did it almost the same way. I used a .20 feeler gauge between the grip and bar with a WHOLE bunch of WD40. Broke loose real easy then washed the inside of grip with soap and water then used weatherstripping cement to re-install. Holds real tight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts