Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be nice if you could save the stockers as sometimes guys need them, and the end caps can be used for the key mod. good luck
Courtesy of the Madco camlock site.

1. Unscrewing the chrome/plastic end cap by turning counter-clockwise (looking
at the end of handle bar).
2. With an ice-pick, 16d nail, Phillips head screw driver or similar probe, insert
between rubber & white plastic to separate.
3. With the probe still in place, squirt some WD40 into the opening through the
small red tube.
4. Repeat #2 & #3 at additional locations around the grip.
5. Wiggle the probe at the various locations until they join and the probe can be
rotated all the way around the glue joint.
6. Slide the rubber grip & chrome/plastic trim ring off the white plastic tube.

Alternative Removal Method: If compressed air is available substitute #3 & #4
above to read (3) With probe in place blow air into opening at glue joint. (4) Move
probe as necessary & repeat above at new locations

The cap on the clutch side pops off, then repeat the above steps

·
Registered
22 Posts
Installed my ISO grips last night - thank you for great instructions with pictures.
I am glad you liked the pictures. I decided to take pictures of my install because I learned a lot from the riders on this forum before I did my own install. I also added a few tips that I learned the hard way. Like trying to buff off glue from the chrome. ;)

I really like the reverse install of the Throttle Boss because it doesn't get in your way when you are really "Turning and Burning".

If you guys and gals have other tips, please send them my way and I will add your hard learned lessons and tips to my website. I also think it would be helpful if someone would try Windex on removing one grip and WD-40 on the other. I don't remember a problem removing the WD-40 so let me know what you think.

You will LOVE the grips and they still hold up well after many years of riding.

Glen

http://www.grmorris.com/pictures/vtxoa/kuryakyn-grips-install/index.htm

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Excellent info and pics thanks. Four questions for you.
What tool do you use to get the air inside the grip when you are using an air compressor?
How do you position the grip ahead of time? Isn't it hard to get it on there in the first place or do you slip the larger grip on the smaller side first to get the positioning? Is there a review of grips somewhere? It looks like most people have the Kuryakyn ISO grips but I was looking at a set from Avon that looked pretty cool.

Pull the end caps off. Jam the rubber tip of the blow gun just under the grip....between the grip and the bar. Quickly blow the air and pull.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just thought I would add my .02.
I read the instructions & watched the video.
I then went out to change the grips. I slid the screwdriver in and worked it around but they WOULD NOT budge. I had no Windex or WD-40 but I did have Greased Lightening.
Unreal ! I raised up an area with the screwdriver, squirted the Lightening in and they literally fell off!
Clean too, no oily mess to clean up. I cleaned the old glue off and used Gorilla Glue. Waiting on it to dry now.
Also used an old end cap for the key mod while I was at it !

·
Read Only
86 Posts
Toooo... Super Glue!

Left grip fit went well, but got caught fitting the new throttle grip side and was not quick enough!! and the super glue set rock hard with it only half on !!
Ended up having to cut it all off with a hacksaw etc - not pretty, put original back on to get by and had to send over to you guys for another pair !!!
This time I used normal contact glue (Gorilla Glue) you get more time to fit and adjust and it does the job just fine.

And thats my advice to anyone else too - leave the super glue supplied in the tubes - its too mean a brew for the job and is overkill for the purpose, giving you no slack time at all. (Hell, Honda only put a squirt of contact glue in the originals)

Nice grips tho for $160 !!
Anyone wanna buy a left side ???

Cheers Phil
(wonder how many others get caught, but never say? c' mon now, step up- don't be shy )

·
Registered
70 Posts

Pull the end caps off. Jam the rubber tip of the blow gun just under the grip....between the grip and the bar. Quickly blow the air and pull.
:agree: Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Also what is the mod referred to in this thread? I tried a search but no luck. I hope this refers to being able to remove the key after starting the bike without killing the engine.

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
Also what is the mod referred to in this thread? I tried a search but no luck. I hope this refers to being able to remove the key after starting the bike without killing the engine.
It's How To remove the stock grips, that's the mod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just Great!!!

I used the above method to switch my grips. It worked great, Thanks so much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts