Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemma. I have been bed-ridden (after almost losing my leg) for 3 months now and really miss riding. My VTX has a thin layer of dust and some cob-webs on her, I am sad to admit.
With the cooler weather that has finally made it down to Texas, I cannot wait to go riding again. I should be able to hold her up and operate all controls just fine in a week or two. Though I still can't walk very well. So I'd need crutches with me anywhere I go.
So if you were as hot-headed (about riding) as I am, how would you transport your crutches? (the tall ones, not the French kind)

I have a sissy-bar on the back so one of the ideas that popped into my mind was to attach the crutches to it upside down. Use multiple bungee cords and tighten the piss out of 'em. It might look funny but I am not one to really GAF.
Attaching the crutches along the side of the bike might not be viable due to my big saddle-bag boxes. Plus it would hinder my use of legs too.
Heck, strapped diagonally across my back, like a bow?

So fellow riders, how would YOU transport the crutches if you had to?

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
Tough call brother. Sideways ain't gonna happen so length wise or vertical. Ideally they could be something you could break down. I've seen golf bags that are strapped from just behind the right heel and up at about a 45. Of course the owners of these bikes build mounting for that. The vertical method might be best if you can figure a way to offset from the back rest to the side. You could drop then down to about mid rear wheel so they don't get too much in the air.

Post a pic of how you rig it ... I'm curious now ... Lol. And yeah, don't GAF ... just ride and be safe.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Do you have to use crutches or can you use a cane?

I have a replacement hip and knee from my motorcycle accident in 2003, I don’t always need a cane, but I carry a folder kind in my handlebar bag For those times when I do.

Really irks people as I have disabled plates on the bike, then I whip out the folding cane and people have conniption fits over me riding a motorcycle and being disabled.

·
Registered
39,095 Posts
I have a dilemma. I have been bed-ridden (after almost losing my leg) for 3 months now and really miss riding. My VTX has a thin layer of dust and some cob-webs on her, I am sad to admit.
With the cooler weather that has finally made it down to Texas, I cannot wait to go riding again. I should be able to hold her up and operate all controls just fine in a week or two. Though I still can't walk very well. So I'd need crutches with me anywhere I go.
So if you were as hot-headed (about riding) as I am, how would you transport your crutches? (the tall ones, not the French kind)

I have a sissy-bar on the back so one of the ideas that popped into my mind was to attach the crutches to it upside down. Use multiple bungee cords and tighten the piss out of 'em. It might look funny but I am not one to really GAF.
Attaching the crutches along the side of the bike might not be viable due to my big saddle-bag boxes. Plus it would hinder my use of legs too.
Heck, strapped diagonally across my back, like a bow?

So fellow riders, how would YOU transport the crutches if you had to?
Here you go, Lou.

Carex Adjustable Lightweight Folding Crutches Set Of 2

Search ''Foldable Crutches'' many different prices, types, etc.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have to use crutches or can you use a cane?

I have a replacement hip and knee from my motorcycle accident in 2003, I don’t always need a cane, but I carry a folder kind i my handlebar bag For those times when I do.

Really irks people as I have disabled plates on the bike, then I whip out the folding cane and people have conniption fits over me riding a motorcycle and being disabled.
For now, I still need crutches. I am hoping to downgrade to a cane by Christmas. (it is a very slow progress recovering from attempted murder by Biden's jab)
Don't worry about haters hating you for having a motorcycle. That's what they do, that's how they live, they hate. They don't know any other way of life.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everybody, for the ideas to use a scabbard or folding crutches.
Either would work. My current crutches would disassemble, no problem. Just more labor to get on & off the bike.
Gotta weigh my options and see what I end up doing. I might just stay at home and sit on my ass like a good obedient cripple. How dare I want to ride motorcycles when I cannot walk, right?

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Thanks, everybody, for the ideas to use a scabbard or folding crutches.
Either would work. My current crutches would disassemble, no problem. Just more labor to get on & off the bike.
Gotta weigh my options and see what I end up doing. I might just stay at home and sit on my ass like a good obedient cripple. How dare I want to ride motorcycles when I cannot walk, right?
Don't take any risks prolonging your recovery time, which means you may have to WAIT.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
For now, I still need crutches. I am hoping to downgrade to a cane by Christmas. (it is a very slow progress recovering from attempted murder by Biden's jab)
Don't worry about haters hating you for having a motorcycle. That's what they do, that's how they live, they hate. They don't know any other way of life.
oh I think it is hilarious when they approach me and say something. (even had a D.A. do it once at a court house). my response is usually very simple. I have a right leg injury, motorcycles are mostly hand controls, would you prefer I use my hands to control a deadly machine or a malfunctioning right (aka gas and brake) leg while you and your kids are on the road with me.

usually shuts them up, except fort he occasional Ken or Karen, at which point I might mention that my cane doubles as a weapon and I have no issue going back to prison.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... except fort he occasional Ken or Karen, at which point I might mention that my cane doubles as a weapon and I have no issue going back to prison.
LOL That is good. Especially with a .45 on my hip, they might STFU and just back away slowly. Or they might start screaming "gun! he's got a gun!" and cause mass panic. Doesn't matter to me, I don't GAF (Texas has OC laws, btw).

I too used to walk with a cane (from when the doctors fked me up the first time) so I have a folding one in my saddle-bag. It won't currently be enough to support my leg but eventually I shall resume its use.

Funny tidbit (since this is my thread, I can drift it any way I see fit, dammit :) ) from work:
a co-worker once commented on my cane that it would be so cool if I got a sword-cane.
The very next day, I come to work and he's all freaking out showing me his phone: "You remember we talked about sword canes yesterday? Look, LOOK! An ad for a sword cane popped up on my phone today! See? They ARE listening!"
Without batting an eye, I answered with one syllable "duh". :D
Poor guy freaks out about it every time I remind him.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have a sword cane. keep it next to the bed "just in case" can't have a firearm (I wasn't kidding about the prison thing) so a sword (several actually) is what I gots.

I also have a spike ball mace and a nice Celtic axe and a 200 year old Claymore sword (family heirlooms being we are from Scotland) hanging on the wall by the front door.

·
Super Moderator
64,383 Posts
Any twisting or torsion on either leg is going to be extremely painful and damaging to the healing. Broken bones don't do well with twisting and even if you could stand the pain, just one wrong move, one misstep, one misplaced foothold and you're back in the OR redoing the whole process and out until next fall. I know missing riding is hard, but if this were me, I'd wait

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a sword cane. keep it next to the bed "just in case" can't have a firearm (I wasn't kidding about the prison thing) so a sword (several actually) is what I gots.

I also have a spike ball mace and a nice Celtic axe and a 200 years old Claymore sword (family heirlooms being we are from Scotland) hanging on the wall by the front door.
Oh man, I knew Crazyfornia was bad but this is really insane.
Though I am surprised that your overlords allow you to own such weapons of mass destruction. A mace? An axe? A sword? Just wait until your neighbors call the red-flag mafia on you and you get committed (involuntarily) in an asylum as danger to yourself. :D
I am not trained with any swords or other medieval weaponry. They also seem pointless to me if a thug is flashing his ghetto glock at me from 10 ft away. Can't throw my cane at him and run off. :)

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Just wait until your neighbors call the red-flag mafia on you and you get committed (involuntarily) in an asylum as danger to yourself.
If I understand correctly he is done with school-age children and therefore is no longer involved with school board or PTA meetings, so he won't be on top of the FBI most wanted terrorist list.
:D

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Oh man, I knew Crazyfornia was bad but this is really insane.
Though I am surprised that your overlords allow you to own such weapons of mass destruction. A mace? An axe? A sword? Just wait until your neighbors call the red-flag mafia on you and you get committed (involuntarily) in an asylum as danger to yourself. :D
I am not trained with any swords or other medieval weaponry. They also seem pointless to me if a thug is flashing his ghetto glock at me from 10 ft away. Can't throw my cane at him and run off. :)
well technically it is the federal gov't that prevents me from owning a firearm.. convicted felon and all.

as for the medieval weaponry. its mostly for décor. family heirlooms as I stated, been handed down for 250+ years. though I have had the instance to go after someone once with the axe. punk trying to break into my car in my driveway at 2am. made the dude piss himself, nothing like a crazy old red haired "get off my lawn" guy running at you with wild eyes and an axe.. of course he didn't have a gun or any weapons, was just walking the neighborhood with his idiot friends breaking into cars.

my neighbors are all LEOs (4 immediate and 2 a few houses down), they are well aware of my past and my eccentric personality.. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
If I understand correctly he is done with school-age children and therefore is no longer involved with school board or PTA meetings, so he won't be on top of the FBI most wanted terrorist list.
:D
you know I was banned from the local school board meetings 6 years ago for calling out the superintendent. moved my kid to another district outside of the city as a result.

told the SI at a city meeting that she as a pathetic useless teacher (but not so nicely) when I had her for world government in the 8th grade and she is a pathetic useless SI now. she had me banned from further meetings.

today she would have had me listed as a domestic terrorist I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts