Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there, this is my first posting as a new member and first time trike rider too, "I'm finding things are way different on a Trike".

My last bike was more than 10 years ago, was just surfing the web in Oct. of this year and came across this beauty (love at first sight).
Especially odd since 1. I had never ridden a trike, and 2. this one was in Wisconsin and I was in Texas.

Anyway I purchased the bike from a dealer there and had it delivered here, I have to say that actually my new trike intimidates me a little.
My last bike was a 750 Yamaha Seca, and this is an 1800, then you add in the completely different riding style.

I have read almost every article I could find to try an learn from: Don't put your feet down, Don't counter steer, Use a push and pull technique, and so on.
But I don't remember seeing anywhere where that, when your in a turn, the trikes momentum try's to slide you off the seat.

I have also been working on a buffeting issue, I've tilled the batwing fairing up as I can (see I'm 6 foot tall, with a long upper body "trunk").
Still getting some buffeting up from around the tank area, I'm working on some lowers to attach to the front forks, that I have read should fix it though.

So much new stuff to learn, from the trike kit (American Trike), it has 4 chrome coil over shock under there along with a Wilwood disk brake, but no parking brake.

To this big VTX 1800, tons of power: I found a box plastic box module about 4x4x1" "no labels on it"(nothing on the circuit card inside ether) it has 2 groups of wires that it's plugged into and a couple of micro-switches on it as well, I believe its for fuel management.

All in all I love the trike, just got to learn how to ride all over again.

Anyway thanks for having me and giving me a read.

David Hilton Retired US Navy ETC/SS (Electronic Technician Chief/ Submarines)

·
Registered
8,858 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

from a former Ohio rider..

new to Deep South Texas...

I rode a trike once.. but I have a few riding friends that do have them..

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey David, welcome from north of the 49th.
That's a great looking trike you got there. I can only imagine how different 3 wheels would be compared to two. I'd like to try one some day too.
It appears that you have a stock seat on your trike. An aftermarket seat like a Mustang or Ultimate seat will tend to help hold your butt in place, and will be infinitely more comfortable than that stock seat.
The VTX 1800 will give you many, many miles of ear to ear smiles.
Enjoy, ride safe.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Welcome from Sunny California. That's s striking trike you picked up. I took a refresher riding course when I picked up my bike two years ago, but I'm not sure much would apply for a trike. Be safe, have fun, and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
Hello David, welcome to the VTXOA! Thank you for your service!
My brother in law, a former VTX rider was in a sub for awhile.
He convinced me to buy a VTX.
Trike will be my choice when I get too weak to hold up the X.

A plastic box?? Wires go to ??? Led pods or alarm or fuel manager?
What year is your VTX? Two generations of 1800, fuel pump in tank is 1st Gen, external FP is 2nd Gen with a few more changes.
Some fuel managers have connectors at the Fuel Injectors, some have a connector(s) at the ECM.

A lot of wind from the front wheel/fender blows up around the fuel tank, put those lowers on.
I need some also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello, I got a trike so I wouldn't be invisible, to the Cagers who never saw me on my bike.
I put a photo of my trike, shes beautiful.

Thanks, take care out there on the road.
David Hilton Retired ETC/SS

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello, and thanks for the greeting, the VTX is an awesome bike.

Take care on the road out there,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello and thanks for the greeting, I think the VTX is an awesome bike.
I agree the seats look and feel like stock, I have been reading about the Ultimate and Mustang seats.
I have also read quite a few posts about sending the stock seat out to get reshaped with memory foam or gel inserts or both.
I am definitely thinking on doing something just not sure which way I'll go yet.
Thanks again,
David Hilton ETC/SS

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, thanks for the greeting, I was born in Orange County CA, grew up in Riverside CA. love the state just crazy over crowded for me now days.
Yeah, trikes are cool looking but way different to ride, like on a bike when your riding thru a corner the momentum plants you in the seat, on a trike the momentum try.s to slide you off.

It's just different is all.
Take care on the road out there,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello, and thank you for the greetings.
The VTX 1800S is a 2006, I'm not sure about the generation it would fall in.
I got a manual just haven't had a chance to trace the wires going to the black box yet, I'm going with the fuel manager as it's a clean install (no cut wires all plug connectors).
I have made some lowers (metal/formed/welded/painted and installed "I'm kind of handy") just haven't had to chance to try them out yet.
After I try them out I will see how it all works and put a post.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
902 Posts
Welcome to the VTXASG (VTX Addition Support Group) .... where we gladly support each other's addiction. :D

And it seems that you have found your newest addition! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts