Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my hypercharger/jet kit installed by a dealer about 2 weeks ago. I have put about 200 miles on the bike since. My gas mileage has gone from 38.5 mpg to 28. After filling up on Sunday, when downshifting at a stop, I get a great deal of popping from the pipes. I also has the pair valve removed using the sherman coasters. Anyone have any ideas? I talked to the dealer this morning and he said that the gas mileage was expected and that he installed the jet kit just like the instructions told him too. He wasn’t very helpful needles to say. Anyway, if you have any ideas, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
dynajet

I have an 04 retro with the hyper pro and slipon jc whitney pipes...I installed my hyperc as per instructions and wasnt happy so i got the dynajet jet kit and set it up with needle on 3rd notch....200 main jet....and 2.5 turns out on mix screw....runs great with good throttle response in all positions and mpg only dropped to about 38 from 41

·
Registered
371 Posts
unfortunatly taking your bike to a dealership to have work done does not mean they know any more about it than you do. Usually it takes a little fiddleing with various combinations of jets needle settings and adjusting screw to make a bike run the way you want it to. You should have gotton several differant size main jets with the jet kit along with spacers and clips for the needle valve. Do some searching and educate yourself a little about how to rejet and save yourself some money and make your bike run right again. The process of rejetting and adjusting is pretty straight forward and a lot of people on this board can help you.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
That gas mileage seems pretty bad, if they put the 210 main in, I would drop down to the dyno 200 main jet 4th notch on the e clip that is where the majority seems to land. AF around 2 1/2 turns out. Also bluevtx has a video tape you can purchase for $13.00 that will walk you through it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advice. As you can probable tell....., I am the best mechanic.... but I hope to know a little more about jetting but the weekend. Papa..... I will be getting the vid too...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
papa said:
That gas mileage seems pretty bad, if they put the 210 main in, I would drop down to the dyno 200 main jet 4th notch on the e clip that is where the majority seems to land. AF around 2 1/2 turns out. Also bluevtx has a video tape you can purchase for $13.00 that will walk you through it.
the Hyper kit doesn't use a 210 main and the main is not what causes bad MPG I have said this over and over and over again

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am pretty new at all this as you can tell. But I am trying...so please be patient with me.....

I found a few things that the dealer did wrong and I thought I corrected them. 1. The bottom from bolt for the hypercharger was just started and not tightened down at all. Thought that it might be letting in to much air. 2. The front right pair valve cover was not tightened at all. I corrected those problems and was going to attempt adjusting the carborator but did not have the correct adjustment tool.

I put the bike together and started it up..... Had a pretty hard time getting it stareted but it finally did. After it warmed up it idled pretty well so I took it out on the road. the gurlgle sound and the backfire is still there and the bike seemed to run pretty rough.

The jet kit that was installed was the one that came with the hypercharger and there was only one main. I am pretty sure I need to get a new jet kit. Where do you think I should go from here. If you think I need a jet kit, which one would you recommend?

Thanks again for all the help.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had the stealer install hypercharger and included jet kit. Bike ran like total sh*!. The plugs were black and bike did not want to idle. Gas odor was terrible. Took the bike back and two days later the put the stock jets back in and bike runs fun except decel popping, no back fires just rumbling-popping sounds. I had previously installed HK 2.5's no rejetting and bike ran great. Still working out the kinks, probable new jet kit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So are teh Dyno jet kits better then the one that is included with the Kury Pro Hypercharger? I have one on the way from HDL and was planning on having the stealer install it with the re jet kit, but after reading this thread I am a little apprehensive.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Do Not Install The 'Included jet kit' that comes with the Hypercharger.

Buy a Stage 1 kit and do what most of us have have successfully done.

Stage 1 Kit max main jet is 200, some use it some find the .210 is better. Call Dynojet directly and they will ship it (.210) to your front door for $8 total.

Some like the 200 main, 3rd clip needle setting 2 1/2 turns out.
This is what I have but it runs great but not excellent, so,

Im going to what seems to be the majority opinion

.210 main jet
4 clip needle notch
2 1/2 turns out

.210 jet arrived from yesterday 3 days after I ordered it.

This is where I ordered my stage one kit:

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/mer ... de=DJ-1192

Then you can go to Dynojet.com and call them and order a .210 if you choose.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I dont know what I would do without this board :D

Thanks!

I am not much of a wrench, so the 2 million dollar question is: Is the install of the Hypercharger and re-jetting with the Dynojet kit something for the novice? I saw a post about BlueVTX (I think that's right) having a video for sale for $13 that shows you step by step the process for the re-jet. I am starting to lean towards getting the video and trying it myself, I just dont want to totaly screw it up.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
With the kury Hypercharger the 210 main may be a big to much, Start with the 195 main, Needle on the 3rd or 4th groove and 2 1/2 on the mixture screw.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KnuckleHead said:
I saw a post about BlueVTX (I think that's right) having a video for sale for $13 that shows you step by step the process for the re-jet. I am starting to lean towards getting the video and trying it myself, I just dont want to totaly screw it up.
All I can say is BUY THE VIDEO. My dealer charged me 3 hours shop time to screw up my bike with the same install. I will post a summary of what I found wrong on my bike when I am done. I am in the process of fixing it myself and am confident that with the advice from the people on this board and the video that I will have it up and running as soon.

Best $13.00 I have ever spent. Well there was that one time :D :D .... nope that was $20.00. :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
154 Posts
jdandt, when are you planning on doing the .210? Please let us know how it goes after. I think I am going to try this myself...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I installed the Kury Pro and left the jet where it was. I'm at or around a mile high. Doesn't altitude have something to do with it also? If I don't re-jet what may the consequinces be?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Elevation, and climate (temp & humidity/arid) all have a part in the choosing of your jets and settings. Do a search on rejettting, and look for people that live close, or at your altitude, and climate conditions, and see what they are running. That will give you a pretty good starting point. Also if you see that they ran their setup on a Dyno, its a reliable setup for their conditions. hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is my last post on this topic. a BIG BIG thanks for all the advice..... I am now a proud member of the DynoJet club. Words of advice for anyone feeling a uneasy about taking on this job..... buy the video from BlueVTX. Before starting this project I had never even removed the gas tank..... What an eye opener......

My configuration:
mixture screw at 2.5 turns (cut the D Head with a dremel tool)
the needle at the 4th clip
install the DJ 195 main jet

The bike is more responsive than it ever has been. Thanks JC!

·
Registered
27 Posts
HyperCharger Pro has Landed!

I just picked up my V TX1300R with a Hypercharger Pro installed at my local shop. I already had VH Big Shots and a K&N filter. So the bike sounded good and performed well to begin with. I had the bike DYNO'd also. Didn't have chance to speak with the tehc who did the work since I picked up the bike on Sunday. Will call tomorrow for more details.

First off, it LOOKS KILLER! Secondly, the SOUND! Wow!!! The bike has a different exhaust note now and it RULES! Don't know what is so different, but the sound of Pipes with the Hypercharger is incredible!

It was sort of a nasty, rainy day, so I only rode the bike home. Haven't had a chance to really ride much. But my Butt sure noticed some differences in the powerbands. Not night and day, but definitely a little different.

Lastly, my right leg does kick out a little more now, but after 5 miles, I didn't really notice it. Will wait and see if it bothers me on longer rides.

More to come! Gary

1 - 20 of 20 Posts