Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK OK since all you guys (and Gals) are a wealth of info....I was thinking about the Pro Series Hypercharger. I do have aftermarket Cobra Pipes and like the look of the Hypercharger but does it really provide anything more than looks? Is there a noticeable difference in performance?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hyper charger

When I bought my bike last year I did three things...new pipes, Hyper Charger and PCIII. I don't regret any of those things little pricey but well worth it. Everything together makes a huge difference in performance and looks cool. As far as does the Hyper Charger really add anything to the horse power some say yes an no. Anything that opens up the stock intake making the big twin inhale larger amounts of air will add horse power, how much, is the big question. I asked a mechanic who put a bike with similar modifications on a dyno he programed a custom map for the bike and it was pushing almost 100 RWHP, but every bike and setup is different. The main thing is whether "you" feel it makes a difference but remember 5-10 added horse power on a bike is a bigger deal than on a car.
:thumbup:

Mr C

·
Registered
70 Posts
No real difference in performance other than the k&N filter. Go to bare's site and do the K&N mod for 70.00+/- total and you will have better performance. I had my bike on the dyno with a custom map and the the butterflies and cover actually caused problems.Once I removed them and ran the bike again it perfomed a lot better. I run the mod from bare's and went back on the dyno and it runs even better now. I am at 98 HP at the rear wheel with 120 PFT on an 02 C with long shot pipes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bares Site

What or where is the "bares site"?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I see by your profile line that you are riding a 1300. Since the 1300 has carbs instead of FI be prepared to re-jet to get any real performance benefits. Any time you improve breathing, particularly at both ends as you are doing you will need to read your plugs and be sure that the the mixture is correct. Sure don't want to lean it out too much and damage the engine. Do a search on doing plug chops and you will find many threads on how to do it and what the plug readings will tell you. Many will respond without noticeing what you are riding so it is best if you state in you messages what you are working on.

·
Registered
205 Posts
http://www.bareasschoppers.com/

I believe most of what is on Bare's site is 1800 related although there is some 1300 information. You might want to post this same thread on the 1300 board on the forum. The 1300 folks don't have a tech forum like for the 1800 but I believe they post the tech questions/replys in the regular 1300 board. You would avoid having 1800 types (like myself) replying with information that may not be totally correct for the 1300.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
The hypercharger might add 3-5hp (depends on the dyno and the optimism), A Baron BAK or similar might grab 5-7hp (again, depending on who's running the dyno and whatnot. . ).

IMO, I prefered the looks of the H/C vs the other intakes . . . every aftermarket intake will boost your air flow and at the end of the day it's your bike so get what you like, what you want, not what others tell you is "best".

Good luck.

(for the record I've got a Pro-R H/C and love it)

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
The hypercharger might add 3-5hp (depends on the dyno and the optimism), A Baron BAK or similar might grab 5-7hp (again, depending on who's running the dyno and whatnot. . ).

IMO, I prefered the looks of the H/C vs the other intakes . . . every aftermarket intake will boost your air flow and at the end of the day it's your bike so get what you like, what you want, not what others tell you is "best".

Good luck.

(for the record I've got a Pro-R H/C and love it)

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Its more for looks than anything else. Its open on the bottom so its not truly a ram air, but with it being open its got good flow. Looks cool. I get a lot of compliments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Here you go. Here's a thread that was going about a week ago on the 1300 board. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209544 I had a Hyper Charger and switched to a BAK. I would recommend trying to find a X with one on it before you make up your mind and see if you can sit on it. For me the HC just stuck out to far. I love the BAK it is lower profile and a little better performance wise.

If you do go with the HC, ditch the jet kit that comes with it, it sucks. Get jets from Factory Pro. Much better.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Here you go. Here's a thread that was going about a week ago on the 1300 board. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209544 I had a Hyper Charger and switched to a BAK. I would recommend trying to find a X with one on it before you make up your mind and see if you can sit on it. For me the HC just stuck out to far. I love the BAK it is lower profile and a little better performance wise.

If you do go with the HC, ditch the jet kit that comes with it, it sucks. Get jets from Factory Pro. Much better.
That's about the only thing H/C's have going against them in my book.

Course I'm 6'5 so with my height/longer legs I don't have any issue going around it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts