Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have a 1300 yet, but plan to buy one by the end of the month.
Sorry, I tend to do too much reasearch and get way ahead of myself...

there are two modifications that are on the top of my list when I get the bike.
1 is to set up leds on the bike because it looks pretty cool and also will make me more visible at night.
2nd, and what I am asking about, is what I believe is called a hypercharger. It looks like those hood scoops on the old muscle cars that had blowers installed. I think it looks badass for this very reason and have got to do this when I get my bike.

So what options do I have for these. Is there only one box to choose from or is there multiple models and manufacturers? Also where could I find them for a good price? I am new to vtx and new to bikes in general so I don't know good websites to find these things like I do for cars.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
What you're talking about is a Hypercharger made by a company called Kuryakyn. While the cool factor is high with them, most that have them haven't really reported any kind of performance enhancement. FYI, anytime you alter the Induction side of your future scoot, it will require a modification to the carb as well (a/f mixture adj, or rejet). Exhaust mods don't really have much of an effect on the bike, and any tweaking is typically done with the mixture screw. There are a few reputable places for LED's. Probably the most well known are Lizard Lights, although they are a bit pricey. This was a topic the other day on this board, so if you use the search function, you should be able to find a lot of what you're looking for. Ebay is a good place to look once you know what you're looking for. DLP, the sponsor for this site, matches prices, and you can usually get free shipping. If you buy directly from Kuryakyn, or Showchrome, you're gonna pay more than if you go through DLP, or cruisercustoms, or some other site. When I first set out looking for eye candy like you, I watched the board for what I liked, and then just did a Google search for the part by name and/or part number from the manufacturer's site. That typically brought up a bunch of online vendors. It pays to shop around, expecially during the winter. If you need any help, just come on back here, and ask...we'll be glad to help spend your money! Good Luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
HyperCharger

I have an '06 C with a Kury Hypercharger. I love it. My wife once asked me,"What does it do?" I told her it doesn't have to do anything....it's chrome!!
The boys are right about tweaking the carb, I had to put a shim under the needle. You may not have to re-jet if you just put the hypercharger on without changing the exhaust....just some tweaking.
Others with more experience will chime in.:popcorn:
RedWing

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Also beware of your state laws. Many do not allow accessory lighting to be to be on while riding. And even tho, it still looks badass. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive seen a couple around town with the lighting... doesnt necessarily mean theyre doing it legally though..

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I had to buy another one I wouldn't I was the worst mod I ever did. Cool ness factor 10 but comfort on the right knee a 0. Just my to Cents

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Hypercharger Pro's: Looks cool, Can put LED's in housing to increase cool factor, Butterflies work like old school muscle car hood scoops, I found mine pretty simple to install, Lot's of compliments.

Con's: If you are shorter or have shorter legs, you might have an issue with your knee around the hypercharger (I'm 6'5, didn't have any issue at all), Some claim no performance gains (which is kind of impossible since it opens the intake up for more air to flow).

My review I'm sure is slightly biased toward the hypercharger, I got mine because it was the most radical, coolest looking intake I could buy. Most of the complaints come from people expecting significant power increases (I don't know if they were expecting ram air induction performance, which the hypercharger will not do, or what). Some complain about the amount the unit extends, which is aobut a half inch to inch further then the stock airbox. All aftermarket intakes will improve air flow. At the end of the day, you need to get one that you like, and one that you think looks good. After that, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'm with 1300cnME. I've got one, and I think it's awesome just on looks. Not really much as far as performance gains, maybe a bit though. It will require tweaking the carb, but it looks SO COOL :doorag:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with most,looks about a 7 cause if you search bikes are alot of other options,it will put your leg way out there,so comfort is 0. but look at me if I was looking for comfort i wouldn't be riding the bike I have!But I will settle for all the looks my bike gets!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Here's the thing, and yes, I'm biased towards the Hypercharger because I love my Pro-R. If you have to change the carb a little bit, guess what? The new intake has changed how much fuel your bike needs because it's getting more air.

There's other intakes that will provide a bit more performance, but none of them have the cool factor those butterflies have when you're sitting there idling or going full throttle.

And if that's what you like, and it doesn't negatively affect performance, then it's a no brainer anyway. I'm 6'2 and never had the knee issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'll agree, the Hypercharger looks cool, but I guess because I'm CHEEP
and wanted more performance I went with the Xtreme Revolution Ultraflow Air Filter.
It's under $200 and looks pretty good too. (No knee problems either)

-Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mr Bill,

Have you had any issues with the filter being exposed to the elements like getting caught in the rain or anything like that?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mr Bill,

Have you had any issues with the filter being exposed to the elements like getting caught in the rain or anything like that?

xCaboosex,
I haven't had to deal with the "elements" since changing my air box, I did it late in the season. I'm going to look for a cover that I can throw on in the event of a downpour.

-Bill

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
xCaboosex,
I haven't had to deel with the "elements" since changing my air box, I did it late in the season. I'm going to look for a cover that I can throw on in the event of a downpour.

-Bill
The beauty part about the H/C, it already has a case to protect it from rain. I've been in torrential downpours with no ill effects (other then rider getting soaked thru). :thumbup:

Like I said before, to each his own, but that filter you have looks kind of unfinished (IMO).

:doorag:

·
Registered
11 Posts
xCaboosex,
I haven't had to deal with the "elements" since changing my air box, I did it late in the season. I'm going to look for a cover that I can throw on in the event of a downpour.

-Bill
Mr. Bill what did you replace your air box with? I'm thinking about changing mine and I like the way that looks on yours.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I got a std hypercharger on my 05 vtx. Bothers my knee a little bit but its not terrible. it looks awesome with the valves moving with the vacume. It also looks sweet cuz the carb is more exposed. I used the supplied jets and it runs great. As the the led situation try looking at the fusion led kit. Its on ebay. Either that or electropods.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts