Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a fairing recently. Woody's :bowdown: (Love it) I have wired the stereo and it works great. Here is the thing. The fairing has a power cord going back to the battery. I have one wire on pos+ one on neg- and a third going under the right side cover to the tail light so that the stereo only works when the iginition is on. All works pretty well except when I have the stereo going and then turn the bike off. When its time to start the bike back up, after turning the key, the radio starts to power up and the bike has a harder time starting. so I then turn the radio off and hit the starter again and BAM she comes to life. Is this normal. I have read alot of threads and I still don't get what a relay is, where to get one, what it does, where I would put it in the wiring scheme, and if I even need one for this application. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks but the one wire going directly to the battery is for the station preset and clock memory. I do have a fuseblock coming but still don't understand the use of relays and their application. I did a google search on it and it is not sinking through my thick skull.:dontknow:

·
Old Goat
26,595 Posts
Thanks but the one wire going directly to the battery is for the station preset and clock memory. I do have a fuseblock coming but still don't understand the use of relays and their application. I did a google search on it and it is not sinking through my thick skull.:dontknow:
I forgot about the preset...my bad....good luck
I will remove my post....:thumbup:

·
Registered
15,774 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Poison, that makes perfect sense now as to how they work. Since a stereo / extra lighting/ etc are triggered by turning the key do you recommend that those things be on a relay? I would assume that the ignition wire would close the relay and then the power would come direct from the battery? Thanks again

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
You can use whatever trip circuit you want, and then power comes/ fused hopefully, from the battery. Light wiring is used often for tripping relays since it shuts everything off to start bike. I prefer a toggle switch to trip relay. That wat I choose when things run and when they dont. I use the ignition switch, toggle to trip relay.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
If you use the blue/white wire going to the headlight as the trigger, it will open the relay as soon as you press the starter button. That way the battery is only powering the starter and not any extra accessories.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.