Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always try to keep my chrome looking good. The air box cover is the biggest "In your face" piece and it's gotten to the point that polishing it wasn't helping. So after scrolling YouTube I saw a video on wrapping trim pieces of cars in leather and told myself that I could do that. Visited my two craft stores today and did not find the size of soft leather that I needed and picked up a yard of marine grade vinyl and contact cement and got busy. It's not perfect, but I like it. I've been contemplating doing some black trim work on the bike to offset some of the chrome that needs help and this is step one.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive design

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Looks good! Well done.

Reactions: unit505

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
Your bike,your rulz…(y)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Nice job. Looks like it should be that way.
Maybe get some chrome 12pt screws to hold it on.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
It's not perfect, but I like it.
Don't lose sleep over it. Only you can see the imperfections because you did it. Others cannot see them. I can't see them from the pictures.
But yes, it is a pretty common phenomenon for DIY projects: only the author can see the imperfections.
Again, don't beat yourself over it, they are not visible.
I've been in your shoes. With every project and every imperfection. Not worth fretting over it. It looks good, enjoy it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I like that a Lot!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I always try to keep my chrome looking good. The air box cover is the biggest "In your face" piece and it's gotten to the point that polishing it wasn't helping. So after scrolling YouTube I saw a video on wrapping trim pieces of cars in leather and told myself that I could do that. Visited my two craft stores today and did not find the size of soft leather that I needed and picked up a yard of marine grade vinyl and contact cement and got busy. It's not perfect, but I like it. I've been contemplating doing some black trim work on the bike to offset some of the chrome that needs help and this is
I always try to keep my chrome looking good. The air box cover is the biggest "In your face" piece and it's gotten to the point that polishing it wasn't helping. So after scrolling YouTube I saw a video on wrapping trim pieces of cars in leather and told myself that I could do that. Visited my two craft stores today and did not find the size of soft leather that I needed and picked up a yard of marine grade vinyl and contact cement and got busy. It's not perfect, but I like it. I've been contemplating doing some black trim work on the bike to offset some of the chrome that needs help and this is step one. View attachment 195235 View attachment 195236
DUDE! Amazing outcome. Putting the high priced customizers to shame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts