Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been a wrench, but I've been hanging out learning a lot from this board. I picked up a big nail in my rear tire a couple of weeks ago and decided it was time for new tires. With the confidence gained from Bare's site and the VTXOA Garage, I decided it was time to take up the tools and try. I did my own front and rear wheel removal and reinstall after new Metzlers were mounted. I was even able to replace brake pads front and rear before putting the wheels back on. I know, not a big deal for some of you but quite an accomplishment for me. Thanks for all I've learned so far--next comes a valve check. Oh, I didn't have to rejet!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
The first time is always the hardest... 8)
Great job and it feels good to know you did it yourself :lol: :lol:

Paul

·
Registered
869 Posts
now go get a service manual and u can take the whole bike apart and put it back together :lol:

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Feels good don't it. I will always remember my first wrench job on one of my first bikes. Since then do all my own wrenching, and even managed to build an old school chopper. Keep on wrenching. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
136 Posts
`Big Deal

You said it might not be a big deal for some. If you subtract your cost from the dealers cost you will see it is a big difference in your favor , making it a b ig deal for anybody.Like you,with the help of this forum I have the confidence to tackle any mechanical problems I might have with the X.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I was never much of a wrench either, until the X. I've had the front and back both torn off. If feels really good to be able to tinker with it yourself. Plus like Sessums said, I've done things that would be to cost prohibitive at shop charges. Not to mention the felling you get when you say, "Yeah, I did all the work myself." See if you can find a VTX brother that lives close by that can also help if you need it. I know in H-town we have an awasome group of guys that always lend a hand (or stand) if someone needs it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts