Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw him while stopped for a quick chat and quickly got on to catch him. We played back and forth a bit and [email protected]#$!!!

He pull away from me like I was on a moped. Once he slowed down and I pulled up next to him, I could see the Tornado air intake and pipes. He said he had a computer upgrade and cam work done. I would love to know what else.

I feel like a HD rider.............

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
There's always a bigger, badder, bike waiting down the road!! Untuck your tail from between your legs and get back out on the road. :twisted:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I took my tail out...........

I kicked the Harley A$$ the rest of the way home. I STILL ride first in my normal group!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I got smoked by a crotch rocket today, and loved every second of it. I don't even know what brand it was, because when it blew by me, he had to have been doin' 120 or more. I have been passed by rockets before, and very fast rockets, but nothing like this. Absolutely incredible how fast he was goin, and I had no idea he was comin'. I think that is the only time I have ever been passed and couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Speed is intoxicating.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to admit, I thought it was cool when the Kaw smoked me. We were both flying. When we stopped after the event and I asked my buddy why he didn't join in the fun he said he didn't want to go to jail..........

Gotta love a Saturday afternoon like that! The sound of an X at 120+ is kinda cool..

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
No matter how fast your ride will go, there is always something faster. I know this because I've ridden with a friend in his 900+HP Supra, and been passed. At speeds that still pucker my butt to this day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello St. Louis Dave

Hey Dave,

What area of St. Louis you ride? I'm from the Fenton area (south county), I usually ride the Highways 270, 70, 55, 21 etc. I've seen a few other X's around, but they've always been going the other way, never stopped and talked.

I used to live in North County, my rides up there were Northern St. Charles, Alton route 3, Great River Road etc.

Been exploring the Jefferson/Franklin county areas lately, beautiful riding down this way. Maybe some day we'll meet up.

bigjim56

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Talking about smoked, I got it last night by a Wing 03- 1800 we were both two up BUT i was pulling a trailer. It was still real close until we got to 115 and he started pulling away. Just the same I got smoked.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I had a group of crotch rockets fly past me one night. I was in the left lane, and one of them passed me in my lane. Don't know how he didn't hit me. All of his buddies passed to the right of traffic in the service lane. I got to meet them briefly around the next turn because one of them went down. Wasn't hurt bad. Stopped to see if he was OK, then on my way. Over 90 percent of our M/C fatalities here are crotch rockets and that's the main reason we have to wear helmets now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The wing is still a fast bike...

As for the opportunity to ride in a 900 hp Supra....

:evil: I'm jealous :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big Jim

I am living in Grand Rapids Michigan now, but recently left STL.

There is an incredible group of folks starting to get orgainzed as a club based out of the STL area. Check out their website at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gatewayvtx/

I was one of the founding members, but got transfered back to Michigan. Good group with no attitudes.

Tell them I said hello!

·
Registered
306 Posts
i still giggle to my selph when i ride next to my buddy with a striped down 113 s&s motor and i have at least 400lbs on him with tons of chrome .both bike are very very close.

G

·
0 Posts
115 mph!

Hey Mike OK,

You were pulling a trailer and 2 up doing a 115mph?!! Whoa!!!!
You're a braver soul than me!!!

I used to drive fast in my younger days with my cage, topping out at 140mph, and I was always by myself. But I guess I've lost my nerve in my older age to ride that fast on 2 wheels!

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Re: 115 mph!

cobrakidx said:
Hey Mike OK,

You were pulling a trailer and 2 up doing a 115mph?!! Whoa!!!!
You're a braver soul than me!!!

I used to drive fast in my younger days with my cage, topping out at 140mph, and I was always by myself. But I guess I've lost my nerve in my older age to ride that fast on 2 wheels!
'Brave' was a very nice way to phrase it!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Call it whatever you like. We all ride the speeds were comfortable with. and when were riding this fast, we make certain that were the only ones on that part of the road. Years ago when my licence was being revoked for the 5th time due to speeding, the OHP thought that I need to see a mental doctor for my addication to speed. The wife said yes he does.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
RJRpig said:
I had a group of crotch rockets fly past me one night. I was in the left lane, and one of them passed me in my lane. Don't know how he didn't hit me. All of his buddies passed to the right of traffic in the service lane. I got to meet them briefly around the next turn because one of them went down. Wasn't hurt bad. Stopped to see if he was OK, then on my way. Over 90 percent of our M/C fatalities here are crotch rockets and that's the main reason we have to wear helmets now.
I somewhat disagree, the stats I read, and it was very eye opening, was that older inexpirenced mid life crisis types are more likely to get injured or killed in a M/C accident. They targeted the baby boomers (40 and older?) who have a bank roll, and jumping on the Harley bandwagon. They get these big cruizers, with tons of power, and don't have a clue on how to ride it. Makes sense. I don't know one metric owner that hasn't been around bikes for awhile (except one guy at work who has a Rebel, and he is scary), but I do know 4 people personally who the first bike they ever threw a leg over was a Harley. Not picking on Harleys, but that is the brand mentioned.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
SurfriderNC said:
RJRpig said:
I somewhat disagree, the stats I read, and it was very eye opening, was that older inexpirenced mid life crisis types are more likely to get injured or killed in a M/C accident. They targeted the baby boomers (40 and older?) who have a bank roll, and jumping on the Harley bandwagon. They get these big cruizers, with tons of power, and don't have a clue on how to ride it. Makes sense. I don't know one metric owner that hasn't been around bikes for awhile (except one guy at work who has a Rebel, and he is scary), but I do know 4 people personally who the first bike they ever threw a leg over was a Harley. Not picking on Harleys, but that is the brand mentioned.
While I would agree somewhat with what surfriderNC said, I am more inclined to believe the stats about crotch rockets:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/4387956/detail.html

This is an article from our local tv station here in Atlanta , the accident happened last night on I-285, our perimeter highway. I work in and have to commute to Atlanta everyday, and as the weather warms up so do the crotch rockets. A motorcycle fatality is almost a common occurance around here and yes, the vast majority of them are crotch rockets. The folks I see on cruisers, be it,(gasp) Harley, Honda etc, are typically riding along minding their own business, enjoying the ride, and just, well Cruising. The sport bike crowd is just flat out dangerous. Face it, the bikes are built for one thing, Speed. In a large metroploitan city such as Atlanta, there is no place for that kind of activity, Heck, our rush hour starts at 5 am and doesn't end until sometime in the evening, usually around 8 pm. But on a lighter note, as long as they continue to act the fool on these sport bikes, it will at least keep the gene pool cleaner.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Cody450 said:
SurfriderNC said:
RJRpig said:
While I would agree somewhat with what surfriderNC said, I am more inclined to believe the stats about crotch rockets:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/4387956/detail.html

This is an article from our local tv station here in Atlanta , the accident happened last night on I-285, our perimeter highway. I work in and have to commute to Atlanta everyday, and as the weather warms up so do the crotch rockets. A motorcycle fatality is almost a common occurance around here and yes, the vast majority of them are crotch rockets. The folks I see on cruisers, be it,(gasp) Harley, Honda etc, are typically riding along minding their own business, enjoying the ride, and just, well Cruising. The sport bike crowd is just flat out dangerous. Face it, the bikes are built for one thing, Speed. In a large metroploitan city such as Atlanta, there is no place for that kind of activity, Heck, our rush hour starts at 5 am and doesn't end until sometime in the evening, usually around 8 pm. But on a lighter note, as long as they continue to act the fool on these sport bikes, it will at least keep the gene pool cleaner.
It is a fact that the 35 to 55 yr. old cruisers riders are having more accidents than the crotch rocket crowd. Although the crotch rockets do get a lot more attention and their crashes usaully make better news stories (far more dramatic). The typical cruiser crash is missing a curve. Usually only 1 bike involved and usually alcohol related.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
It is a fact that the 35 to 55 yr. old cruisers riders are having more accidents than the crotch rocket crowd. Although the crotch rockets do get a lot more attention and their crashes usaully make better news stories (far more dramatic). The typical cruiser crash is missing a curve. Usually only 1 bike involved and usually alcohol related.
Not around here!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts