Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It should work normally...until it sticks again. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tap on the pump a few times with a plastic hammer? This after you dig up a fully charged battery. I sure would hate to be on a trip and have this problem.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
:wink:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Huh ?????

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is part of this thread missing, Hal's initial post doesn't seem to have any relation to the other posts.

Probably just me :oops:

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Markx said:
Is part of this thread missing, Hal's initial post doesn't seem to have any relation to the other posts.

Probably just me :oops:
Sledge the crap out of church pews and then weld 'em back together I think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I try and post info from Honda that might help folks. So if you have a 2005 VTX1800 and you have a fuel pump problem and your bike is out of the warranty period you will have to visit your dealer to find out what the easy fix is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the info was valuable. I thought this gave me some insight into Honda's service commitment. And I was disappointed with the solution.

Certainly I am not in the know in regards to how Honda devolps service advice. But my guess is they saw a high number of pumps returned that either worked, or needed to be tapped on to get them unstuck. This also smells of warratny avoidance. I doubt Honda would be telling their tech community, "We are selling way too many fuel pumps. Maybe they are being diagnosed wrong."

My next thought was, How does that affect the customer, and thought of the following senario.
1. You're in the garage ready to ride. You turn the key and ..... nothing.
2. You go to the board, do some searching and maybe start a new post.
3. Once you redo the grounds for the umpteenth time. You turn the key and .... nothing
4. Now you call your dealer, and maybe he can get you in sometime late in the week or the following week.
5. How do you get the bike to the dealer? At minimum you are loading it on a trailor or borowing something to haul it on. Or you have to pay to have it hauled.
6. Then you go to pick up the bike. The service manager says "It was just a stuck fuel pump. You're all set"

Everyone has their own opinion. Some will be glad to have their bike going again. Others will be thinking wat a minute, is that right? Either way, what kind of confidence are you going to have in the future, that it is going to start when you want to ride?

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Hal,

The information was valued. I'm sorry that I made a wise crack It was not directed at you. I apologize and hope I did not offend you.

Dan

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I was directing it at Honda who should replace it, not come up with a temporary fix. I'm not sure why you thought we were bashing you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you do when you are in the middle of nowhere? Wouldn't that info be helpful.

The bulletin implied it was a permanent fix.

What if your bike is out of warranty? Wouldn't it be nice to have this option?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I doubt Honda would be telling their tech community, "We are selling way too many fuel pumps. Maybe they are being diagnosed wrong."
Honda does do that. When we were buying swingarms from them to modify we used to get calls all the time wanting to know if there was a problem that they needed to address.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
What do you do when you are in the middle of nowhere? Wouldn't that info be helpful.

The bulletin implied it was a permanent fix.

What if your bike is out of warranty? Wouldn't it be nice to have this option?
Who's to say it won't do it again if it does it once? Tapping on the fuel pump while applying juice to it sounds like a temp fix. If they made it a recall, then there wouldn't be a need for warranty. Just replace them with the 2006 pump.

You should still post it back up because it IS good info, I just think Honda should fix it before someone does get stranded. I've had warranty problems with Honda before. They stuck me with a $550 bill after they said they would cover it. I know how cheap/shady they are. It should be a recall imo.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Hmmm wonder why only the 2005 VTX1800 when we know other earlier years had the problem too. I think we were the only ones with a thermostat problem with our 04.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Kinda silly to remove info that might help someone out because you get miffed at someone else. :wink:
Harry

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Thanks for the info Hal, never can have enough info!!

By the way my brothers Dodge Dakota pickup died one night at my house. I called a mechanic friend of mine and explained the problem. His answer "bnag on the fule tank a few times, the pump is stuck" Worked perfectly and never did it again????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.