Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen,

I'm a new forum member from Europe. A proud 2007 VTX 1300 Spokes owner, despite the annoying NOISE issues that this great motorcycle has given me and which I'd like to report here and ask you all for help. I will also post pictures soon so you see all the things I've done to this bike, but right now I urgently need help with the noises that I'm getting from my American-made beauty.

This forum has been my lifesaver with this bike as the mechanics where I live are complete amateurs when it comes to heavy weight cruisers. I've almost given up on this bike, only to spend hours reading this forum to find a solution. I'm new to getting my hands dirty with motorcycles, and I've learned so much thanks to you folks! I'd like to join discussions in this forum as I've done so many things to this bike (except engine/carb mods) that I'm happy to talk about the VTX 1300 all day!

Here are the NOISE issues that are driving me crazy and making me consider selling the bike. I don't want to sell the bike but I just don't enjoy riding this bike anymore due to the noises. It's a long post, so please let me know if you'd prefer a briefer explanation of these sounds.

Noise number 1:

The headlight makes the most-annoying buzzing sound. I've taped the inside with several layers of electrician's tape. I've also covered the tab at the bottom of the headlight casing that inserts the casing back into the nacelle (I also used electrician's tape to cover the tab and cushion it). I even went as far as to buy a new lightbar! I had the NC lightbar, so I got the BBP lightbar in case it was the lightbar. Nope, it's isolated to the main headlight that keeps vibrating and making a loud vibrating buzzing noise.

The vibrating buzzing sound comes under acceleration from 1st to 2nd gear. As soon as I go into 2nd, the vibration disappears, but as soon as the revs go up, it starts again. The vibrating noise also comes under acceleration (high revs) and it sounds really mean and loud. It drives me crazy and it's reason enough for me to sell the bike if I don't fix it, as much as I like this bike. I don't enjoy riding this bike anymore because of the noises. I like to ride this bike hard and I won't shift into 5th until 65-70mph like many of you recommend, so I need this bike to not produce any vibrating sounds from milking out each gear.

So I taped the inside of the headlight housing, but, when I rev the bike in neutral while stationed, the sound seems to come from the actual bulb or bulb housing. In fact, if I rev the bike hard enough, ANOTHER noise which is a very loud and mean as hell BUZZZZ appears to come form the top part of the bulb housing (plus the reported buzzing noise from somewhere in the light bulb housing). I haven't dissembled the bulb housing and I'm hoping that's what going on and it's an easy fix.

This bike didn't have this nasty buzzing sound when I bought it. It developed it after my mechanic installed the many accessories I bought for the bike. My mechanic has removed the tank, headlight housing, front forks, front and rear tires (put new ones), and more, and I'm aware that the tank can be a source of vibration noise. The speedo doesn't produce any noise and it has a leather tank bib from Mustang.

I'm 99% that the noise is coming from the bulb housing. What surprises me is that all the reported buzzing noises in this forum have all been reported to come from the inside cables rattling and/or the metal tab that inserts into the nacelle. I've fixed those, and when I rev the bike with the headlight open (and I can see the inside), the cables do not make any noise. It's all coming form the bulb housing somewhere.

The headlight nacelle can also be moved by about 1/8 inches up and down. As in, there's some give from the headlight nacelle when I press it down from where it inserts to the triple tree. Should I tighten the bolts so that the nacelle has ZERO give? Should I place some rubber grommets in the screws that attach the nacelle to the triple tree?

Where do you folks think that the noise could be coming from? I haven't dissembled the light bulb housing as it seems to be very delicate and I didn't want to open it up before asking you folks.

I also have a video of this sound in which you can clearly hear both noises. I'm going to try to upload it somewhere if possible.

Noise number 2:

Every time that I go though a bump, I will have a metal noise of something being loose somewhere in the front forks, triple tree or front fender. This bike had the All Balls mod done and the Progressive forks done (as well as new fork oil put and a new Bridgestone Exedra tire), but I seriously don't trust my mechanic to have done right, not even the fork oil. Perhaps there's a loose metal washer somewhere inside the forks?

When I get on the bike when it's stationed, and I repeatedly press against the handlebars up and down so as to simulate a bump (so the forks compress and uncompress) the noise seems to come from somewhere in the front fender according to my girlfriend. I had her putting her ear close to all the parts in the front of the bike (tire, fender, front forks etc) and she said that the noise is coming from the front fender or lower forks. She said the noise was from the left side, and not the right side which has the brake caliper.

Does anybody know what this noise is? It always occurs when I go through a bump, especially at low speed. It's a noise similar to what you'd expect from a loose metal part to jump from the bump and make the metal-clunking noise before it returns to its original position, which is why I thought it'd be some loose metal washer in the front forks. At first I thought it was the cable for the 12v external housing (Kuryakin), but nope.

I'm taking my bike to a new mechanic whom I've heard good things about and I'm going to ask him to dissemble the front and review everything, including the All Balls/front forks mods that my previous mechanic did. Unfortunately I live in a place where big bore cruiser bikes are extremely uncommon and sport bikes are very common. It's hard to find someone who knows what he's doing with these kind of bikes. I would love to hear your input before I take the bike to this new mechanic.

Please, anyone know about this second noise I'm reporting?

Noise number 3:

When I'm in 3rd gear cruising at 30 miles per house and I brake with the front brake lever, pull in the clutch, go into 2nd gear and then open the throttle (e.g. I'm downshifting because traffic is stopping), there will be a loud knocking/clunking noise coming from what seems to be the front tire/fender/brake caliper. I cannot replicate this noise by opening the throttle WITHOUT braking with the front brake level. I have to first actuate the front brake level, pull in the clutch, change gear (downshift) and then open the throttle. A CLUNK noise I will then hear.

The noise seems like it's some kind of reactivating noise as in the bike saying "Ok, you now braked with the front and changed to 2nd gear from 3rd and you also want to continue in 2nd, let me tell the front tire/forks/brake and the transmission to wake the f*ck up" and then a CLUNK noise comes front the front. It seems to come right after the front forks compress lightly due to the braking of the front brake and I then give the bike some gas.

This noise is similar to the transmission sound that the bike makes when I shift. I'm hoping that this isn't a noise coming from the transmission and nothing to do with the clutch system.

Anybody know about this noise? This noise worries me particularly as it sounds like its something serious somewhere on the front or tranny.

Noise number 4:

There's this buzzing looping noise coming at exactly 50 miles per hour in 3rd gear. It's a surprisingly nice-sounding looping sound like "BRRR, brrrr, BRRRR, brrrr" and it comes from the rear of the bike and will last for as long as I'm doing 50 mph in 3rd gear. I cannot replicate this sound in 4th gear or 2nd gear at 50 miles per hour. Surprisingly it's only in 3rd gear at exactly 50 mph, if I go to 55 mph, the looping sound disappears (and then the headlight buzzing sound appears LOL).

When my girlfriend is on the back, the sound almost disappears (it gets way less louder). I have Progressive 12.5 inch rear shocks, plus Tsukayu fiberglass hard bags and Tour trunk. The hard bags are as tight as they can be (great hard bags, by the way) and so is the tour trunk.

I haven't removed the helmet lock yet, but people report the helmet lock making a chatter loud noise. The noise that I get on the rear of the bike at 50 mph in 3rd gear is more like a relaxing low-key buzzing sound that just loops on and on at exactly 50mph.

I don't want to sell this bike, but...

As you can see I'm living with so many noises that I'm considering selling the bike and getting a Vulcan 1600 or 2000 (V2k) since I have the 900 and they're great bikes. I want to keep this VTX 1300, but I just don't enjoy riding this bike anymore. I ride with my girlfriend all the time and we use intercoms, so I don't want to wear earplugs. These noises should not be on this bike and I want to fix them instead of masking them.

By the way this bike has NOT had the engine/carb modded. It's still in its virgin state, and I don't plan on modding it due to the super strict emission laws we have here in Europe. I'm seriously considering the V&H big shots but we have very strict noise laws too so I risk getting a big fine from the sound of the pipes. The bike currently has 16,000 miles and I bought it with only 12,000 miles.

I would appreciate any help, input or experience on all these noises. I don't want to get rid of this bike. It's a great bike and it has convinced me to also seriously consider adding a VTX1800 Retro to the stable in the near future (instead of a V2K). But riding my VTX 1300 is my "mental therapy" and I love riding motorcycles for hours and hours with no destination in mind. I just don't enjoy riding my 2007 VTX 1300 Spokes anymore due to these annoying noises.

Many thanks, fellow VTXers!

·
Super Moderator
63,943 Posts
Noise 1; next time you're out riding, push on the chrome dash on the tank. If the noise stops, then you have the dash buzz and you fix it by putting tape on the 3 tabs that hold the dash onto the tank. Take out the 3 dash screws, remove gas cap then push the dash forward to pop it off the gas tank. Then tape the tabs

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA.
Put pressure on anything and everything you can touch when it is vibrating.
Source of noise is difficult to pinpoint.
A windscreen will reflect back noises..
The headlight bucket has rubber bushings on the mounting--there is some movement. Normal..

Fork covers on R/S models can make rattling sounds. Some parts to keep them centered.
Speedo cluster can make noise on the cover, as C-Spike said tape works well under the screws or on the tank at mounting points..
If the speedo was removed there is a possibility that one of the rubber pieces is missing.
Tongue on tank>rubber>speedo with notch has fallen off a few times when speedo removed/installed.
Rear shock covers sometimes will vibrate against the springs--remove the tension and try turning the cover some.

Parts fiche>> http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2007/VTX1300S+A/parts.html

·
Registered
502 Posts
My 1800F has a helmet lock and it rattled and clanked over every bump. A zip tie through the lock and around the frame solved it.
Can someone in a car drive next to you while you ride and "observe"? Maybe they can video?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pictures

Thanks for the replies so far, folks. I'd like to address some of your comments, but, first I shall post just a couple of pics of my 1300. I've also uploaded 2 videos of the noise from the headlight, so please see the new post below this one to hear the noise.

These pics are from a couple of weeks ago. The bags are Tsukayu's specific for the VTX, and yes, you're seeing rear guards in this baby along with the huge Tsukayu bags. The seat is a Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, only that I removed the backrest in the pics. Can't live without the backrest as it really helps with comfort if riding for hours on end.

Two of the pics are outside a metal shop (in their crap yard) as I was waiting to get the bike inside the shop to get the tour trunk fitted, so ignore the crap around the bike in the pics. The other picture is with the bags and tour trunk on. I have some more chrome on the bike right now and I'm adding more stuff as we go along. I'll try to post some pics as I only had these three in my PC.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are some comments of mine to your input so far:

1) The speedo has a leather tank bib underneath. I've pressed everywhere on the speed, including the plastic glass on it and the buzzing sound isn't affected. I'm almost entirely sure that the speedo is not creating any noises.

However, I bought some Honda genuine tank pats, like the big rubber grommets in the front of the tank, which I have a suspicion that my mechanic has done something incorrectly when installing the tank back. I've bought lots of rubber parts for the VTX 1300's tank and headlight from another website that is a Honda dealer.

2) I'm planning on removing the helmet lock. When I checked it, it seems to be screwed in to the rear fender somehow. I know that there are some metal parts under the rear fender to hold everything in place. How would you recommend that I remove the helmet lock? What tool should I use? I've got lots of tools now which I bought after reading hundreds of thread on this forum and the other one. I even have an epic torque wrench, which I didn't know what it was until a week ago.

3) So the fork covers can be a source of noise? What's the fix to that? As said, the sound coming from the forks seems to be like some small little metal bit is jumping and hitting another metal everytime that I go over a bump. The noise seems to be located in the lower forks or top part of front fender.

I've talked with my Honda dealership and I machine-gunned them with questions. Turns out that they're better prepared than I thought, so I've decided to take my bike to them. Unfortunately, the waiting time is of at least a week before they start working on a bike.

Anyway, I still have time to either do some of the fixes myself with your help or be able to tell the Honda mechanics of the things/solutions that you recommend. My bike is extremely rare where I live, and I was told that the VTX 1300 is a bike that they hardly service since so few people have it. On the other hand, they said that they'd get to the problem even if they didn't know the solution by calling other Honda mechanics in other provinces.

Videos of the noises:

Folks, I've uploaded 2 videos that I recorded of the buzzing sounds coming from the headlight. I had open the headlight nacelle to tape the inside, and I simply placed my phone next to the headlight (right by its side) to record the noise. Notice the high-pitched "BRRRRRR" noise, which sounds like "metal on metal" noise and seems to come from somewhere in the lightbulb's house.

The sound on the video is loud, so please turn the volume down if you have headphones.

Any guesses as to what the noises in the video could be?

Many thanks for the help so far.

P.S. To the moderator approving messages: I took the time yesterday to join in on the forum's discussions and I made 4 more posts, yet my posts have not been made public. I only have 1 post so far (my first post on this thread), so I'd appreciate if you could please approve my other posts in case that you hadn't notice them yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Fender has a metal stay mounted each side inside the back section.
The metal usually has rubber ends on it to reduce noise and they wear.
Lightly tap the side and you will hear the vibration.

On the headlight bubble shipping wrap is your friend.

Reactions: TurnOne2000

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome Euro.
That front end clunk #3 sounds like the brake caliper sticking after being released??? That is the one that is concerning because it is a driveability/safety issue. The #2 issue is also concerning (possibly same issue)The other vibrations sound like superficial plastics and metals missing grommets and mounting hardware issues as previously stated. Lol keep taping things until you isolate it. I like the idea of bringing it to a HondaDealer, they have the network and can speak with the factory trained tech team when and if they have questions.
It really is a beautiful bike from the pics, I hope you get it ironed out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
There must be a dozen aftermarket parts bolted on that bike. Start unbolting them and then ride it. As you take parts off check for rub marks, missing rubbers or washers. Tap everything with the handle of a screwdriver before you remove it. If that doesn't fix anything, wash it, polish it wax it and bolt it up.
That's what I would try.
I think posts 8 & 9 are golden.

·
Old Goat
25,544 Posts
Over the 10 years Ive owned mine , pretty sure Ive addressed all the vibes....LOL...but I wear ear plugs and have V$H pipes....short of a engine blow up I don't hear much....good luck

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update - Tapped the bike with a rubber mallet

Thanks again for the replies so far, folks. This is looking more like an investigation, but, seeing how many people have complained about vibration noises on the VTX 1300, I hope that this thread is of use to others too.

Here's an update:

I tapped the bike today with a rubber mallet. I hadn't seen the posted advice yet about tapping the bike, but I had read about this piece of advice in other forum threads weeks ago. It's why I purchased a rubber mallet, and it has paid off as I was able to get further insight on the noises.

Fork covers

Without a doubt, there's something making a noise under there. When I tap the lower end of the fork covers, it makes a "clunk" noise. If I tap the rest of the fork cover (middle and top end), there are no discernible noises. It's only in the lower end of the fork covers.

Specifically, the left fork cover is much noisier than the right fork cover, and one of the clunk noises that I've reported when I go over road bumps does indeed come from the left fork somewhere. I guess that I've isolated that "somewhere" now.

Front fender

The rear area of the front fender makes a low-tone "buzz" type of noise when I tap it. When I tap the front area of the front fender, there are no noises.

I tapped the rest of the fender and surrounding parts, and it's only the rear area of the fender making the buzzing-type of noise. Specifically, it makes the loudest noise when I tap the most-bottom section of the front fender's rear. I'm aware that there's some kind of metal support under the front fender, and last time I put my hand there (some days ago), the metal seemed to be fixed tight with no give or movement.

Should I try to put some silicone or gasket sealing between the metal support and the fender? Is there supposed to be some rubber from the factory that's between the metal support's rails and the fender?

Headlight

I can almost say for sure that the vibration is coming from the lightbulb housing and NOT from the nacelle or from the cables. The only vibration I got when tapping all of the headlight and nacelle was from the headlight's plastic glass (i.e. the plastic glass in front of the bulb - not sure what it is called).

Specifically, the buzz-like noises came when I tapped the upper sides of the headlight's plastic glass. That's where I've reported that a very-loud nasty vibration noise comes from when I open the throttle and rev the bike (even while in neutral).

I've used electrician's tape to tape the inside of the nacelle so that the cables didn't rattle against the inside of the nacelle. I also used tape to cover the tab insert for the headlight to fit into the nacelle.

The above two tricks (taping the inside of the nacelle and tab insert) helped to reduce some of the vibration noises from the headlight, but there's still the aforementioned nasty vibration noise coming from inside the lightbulb housing somewhere. In fact, you can hear that nasty noise in my two videos. It's a high-pitched BRRR type of noise and it comes only when I crack the throttle open.

Passenger floorboards

Now, this one, I've read it reported in a few threads and not just in this forum and on this bike. Since my girlfriend rides with me every day, I've left the passenger floorboards somewhat loose. They are screwed in solidly, but the floorboards won't stay up when folded up. I didn't have the tools to tighten them, but, now that I do have the tools, I'm going to tighten them and possibly add some washers in there.

Left side cover

When I bought the bike, I didn't inspect the inside of the side covers as they looked to be inserted tightly as expected and I was used to my Vulcan's locked side covers. While the side covers as are as shiny as they can be, the left side cover doesn't have the rubber bits that go in the side cover's inserts. It's a very-trivial issue, but it may just as well be adding to the noisy vibrations.

I haven't done anything about the left side cover because, when I'm riding my bike and I press against the left side cover, it has no effect at all in the vibration noises. I'm aware that the rubber bits for the inserts are very easy to lose. Anyone have a fix for that? I thought about some "wall solid glue" (what you use to stick posters to walls) as it is malleable.

What didn't vibrate/make a noise when tapped:

Here's a list of what didn't vibrate or make a noise when I tapped it with the rubber mallet:

- Windshield
- Tank
- Speedo housing (the tank has a thick leather bib that cushions the speedo's housing against the tank)
- Front brake caliper (I was relieved to see how tapping all of the front brake's parts didn't produce any vibrations. In fact, the front brake sounded solid and tight).
- Rear fender (I could not get at the helmet lock due to the bags, but I'm removing the helmet lock very soon in any case)
- Engine (I tapped everywhere and it all sounded solid)
- Handlebar
- Lightbar (I love how my BBP lightbar has that meaty bar that makes the whole front look thicker)
- Engine guards (both front and rear)
- Bags/tour trunk (they're as solid and tight as they could be)

My bike will very likely not be serviced by Honda's technicians until 2 weeks from now as they have some crazy waiting times. They're the only official Honda dealer here, unfortunately. So that gives me some time to try to fix some of the noises with your help.

Questions

1) What do I do to kill the clunk noise coming from the fork covers? I've looked at the parts' diagrams for the forks but I do not know what could be making that noise. The sound seems to come from under the fork covers (bottom area of the front covers). Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this noise?

2) What should I do about the noisy vibration from the front fender's rear? Any of you have succeeded in killing this noisy vibration?

3) What could possibly be causing that nasty vibration (as per the noises in the video) that's coming from the lightbulb housing? I've isolated the noise to the upper sides of the plastic glass from the headlight's front.

4) Should I tighten up the passenger floorboards until they're hard to fold up? Should I stick some rubber/metal washers in there?

I'm not giving up on this beauty, even though I no longer enjoy riding her due to the vibration noises. All I'd wish for Christmas (and hopefully before that!) is that the noises are gone and I can ride her hard and go on trips with her and my "other" (human) girlfriend.

Thank you again, folks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You didn't mention what model you have. On my 1300R the fender was rubbing on the brake caliper. Took the fender off and used a Dremel tool to trim the fender down. Check the inner fender bracket mounts also. Also had buzzing from speedo glass. Ran a bead of silicone around the bezel. Front forks have spacers. Lift the front off the ground and see of you expose the white bushings when the forks extend. You will need to rebuild the forks seals and bushings to replace the spacers if they are broken. One of my spacers fell out and cover made the noise you ae complaining about.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I would check triple tree bearings for tightness, since braking causes noises.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thanks again for the replies so far, folks. This is looking more like an investigation, but, seeing how many people have complained about vibration noises on the VTX 1300, I hope that this thread is of use to others too.

Here's an update:

I tapped the bike today with a rubber mallet. I hadn't seen the posted advice yet about tapping the bike, but I had read about this piece of advice in other forum threads weeks ago. It's why I purchased a rubber mallet, and it has paid off as I was able to get further insight on the noises.

Fork covers

Without a doubt, there's something making a noise under there. When I tap the lower end of the fork covers, it makes a "clunk" noise. If I tap the rest of the fork cover (middle and top end), there are no discernible noises. It's only in the lower end of the fork covers.

Specifically, the left fork cover is much noisier than the right fork cover, and one of the clunk noises that I've reported when I go over road bumps does indeed come from the left fork somewhere. I guess that I've isolated that "somewhere" now.

Front fender

The rear area of the front fender makes a low-tone "buzz" type of noise when I tap it. When I tap the front area of the front fender, there are no noises.

I tapped the rest of the fender and surrounding parts, and it's only the rear area of the fender making the buzzing-type of noise. Specifically, it makes the loudest noise when I tap the most-bottom section of the front fender's rear. I'm aware that there's some kind of metal support under the front fender, and last time I put my hand there (some days ago), the metal seemed to be fixed tight with no give or movement.

Should I try to put some silicone or gasket sealing between the metal support and the fender? Is there supposed to be some rubber from the factory that's between the metal support's rails and the fender?

Headlight

I can almost say for sure that the vibration is coming from the lightbulb housing and NOT from the nacelle or from the cables. The only vibration I got when tapping all of the headlight and nacelle was from the headlight's plastic glass (i.e. the plastic glass in front of the bulb - not sure what it is called).

Specifically, the buzz-like noises came when I tapped the upper sides of the headlight's plastic glass. That's where I've reported that a very-loud nasty vibration noise comes from when I open the throttle and rev the bike (even while in neutral).

I've used electrician's tape to tape the inside of the nacelle so that the cables didn't rattle against the inside of the nacelle. I also used tape to cover the tab insert for the headlight to fit into the nacelle.

The above two tricks (taping the inside of the nacelle and tab insert) helped to reduce some of the vibration noises from the headlight, but there's still the aforementioned nasty vibration noise coming from inside the lightbulb housing somewhere. In fact, you can hear that nasty noise in my two videos. It's a high-pitched BRRR type of noise and it comes only when I crack the throttle open.

Passenger floorboards

Now, this one, I've read it reported in a few threads and not just in this forum and on this bike. Since my girlfriend rides with me every day, I've left the passenger floorboards somewhat loose. They are screwed in solidly, but the floorboards won't stay up when folded up. I didn't have the tools to tighten them, but, now that I do have the tools, I'm going to tighten them and possibly add some washers in there.

Left side cover

When I bought the bike, I didn't inspect the inside of the side covers as they looked to be inserted tightly as expected and I was used to my Vulcan's locked side covers. While the side covers as are as shiny as they can be, the left side cover doesn't have the rubber bits that go in the side cover's inserts. It's a very-trivial issue, but it may just as well be adding to the noisy vibrations.

I haven't done anything about the left side cover because, when I'm riding my bike and I press against the left side cover, it has no effect at all in the vibration noises. I'm aware that the rubber bits for the inserts are very easy to lose. Anyone have a fix for that? I thought about some "wall solid glue" (what you use to stick posters to walls) as it is malleable.

What didn't vibrate/make a noise when tapped:

Here's a list of what didn't vibrate or make a noise when I tapped it with the rubber mallet:

- Windshield
- Tank
- Speedo housing (the tank has a thick leather bib that cushions the speedo's housing against the tank)
- Front brake caliper (I was relieved to see how tapping all of the front brake's parts didn't produce any vibrations. In fact, the front brake sounded solid and tight).
- Rear fender (I could not get at the helmet lock due to the bags, but I'm removing the helmet lock very soon in any case)
- Engine (I tapped everywhere and it all sounded solid)
- Handlebar
- Lightbar (I love how my BBP lightbar has that meaty bar that makes the whole front look thicker)
- Engine guards (both front and rear)
- Bags/tour trunk (they're as solid and tight as they could be)

My bike will very likely not be serviced by Honda's technicians until 2 weeks from now as they have some crazy waiting times. They're the only official Honda dealer here, unfortunately. So that gives me some time to try to fix some of the noises with your help.

Questions

1) What do I do to kill the clunk noise coming from the fork covers? I've looked at the parts' diagrams for the forks but I do not know what could be making that noise. The sound seems to come from under the fork covers (bottom area of the front covers). Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this noise?

2) What should I do about the noisy vibration from the front fender's rear? Any of you have succeeded in killing this noisy vibration?

3) What could possibly be causing that nasty vibration (as per the noises in the video) that's coming from the lightbulb housing? I've isolated the noise to the upper sides of the plastic glass from the headlight's front.

4) Should I tighten up the passenger floorboards until they're hard to fold up? Should I stick some rubber/metal washers in there?

I'm not giving up on this beauty, even though I no longer enjoy riding her due to the vibration noises. All I'd wish for Christmas (and hopefully before that!) is that the noises are gone and I can ride her hard and go on trips with her and my "other" (human) girlfriend.

Thank you again, folks.

#1.......................51402-MEA-671 GUIDE, CASE. It is about 2" up inside the fork cover. jack up the bike to extend the forks and you will see it.

#2......................fender rubbing on brake caliper.

#3.....................the two screws are shouldered bolts not aligned properly.

#4....................I just let mine flop.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for the extra replies and help.

I managed to get the Honda dealership to take in my bike this Wednesday (in two days from today). I'm excited about it as I'd be so happy if they manage to fix all the noises on this bike! However, when I talked with the manager, he didn't know what my bike was and he said that they do get the 750 Honda Shadow bikes frequently for fixing. I believe that the VTX shares many parts with the 750 Shadow if I'm not mistaken, so perhaps they will be able to work on the VTX using the 750 Shadow as a guide?

Anyone know if both the VTX 1300 and 750 Shadow share the same parts and their installation and fixing are similar?

#1.......................51402-MEA-671 GUIDE, CASE. It is about 2" up inside the fork cover. jack up the bike to extend the forks and you will see it.

#2......................fender rubbing on brake caliper.

#3.....................the two screws are shouldered bolts not aligned properly.

#4....................I just let mine flop.
Thank you for this reply. I'd like to ask you if you could please expand a little on the noises, as I'm going to be telling the mechanics ALL that you folks are telling me.

#1 How should this 51402-MEA-671 guide be fixed to remove the noise from the bottom of the fork covers? Should there be some rubber in there that perhaps isn't at the moment? Could you please tell me what to do so that the noise disappears? I have the Clymer manual, by the way.

#2 What's the fix to this? Should I try some silicon sealing between the brake caliper and fender? Rubber? Tighten any bolts?

#3 Sorry, I'm not quite understanding this. I see that there are two holes above the lightbulb housing that have no bolts in there. I don't know if there are supposed to be NO bolts there or what.

Here's a picture of the headlight taken out of the nacelle. I removed the two bolts at the top of the headlight and at the bottom. You can see how there are two holes at the top of the nacelle, on each side that have no bolts there. Are you referring to this?

Incidentally, the noise that I'm reporting seems to come from INSIDE the lightbulb housing and from the upper part, which coincides with where these holes are positioned when I screw in the headlight to the nacelle. The noise is metal on metal as you can tell from the videos I posted on the first page of this thread.

I'd appreciate if you could expand on how to fix this rattle if it is indeed coming from the shouldered bolts not aligned properly.

By the way, I just posted a review of this bike as a touring machine. My girlfriend and I recently did a 3000-mile trip that lasted one month and I converted my VTX 1300 into a touring machine. I've posted my experience with this bike as a tourer holding up to extreme environments that I put it through the whole month.

I wanted to post something of help to those folks who are considering turning the VTX 1300 into a tourer. I appreciate your help (from all) so I wanted to give back by posting this review. Here's the link to the review.

I would appreciate any extra details and help with regards to these noises. I'm going to spend the money to have the mechanics tear apart the whole front and carefully check all noises. I'm not giving up on this beauty just yet, but I need to have the noises fixed as I cannot have a bike in my stable that I no longer enjoy riding because of said noises.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey there again, folks, thanks for the replies.

I've got an update for y'all: the bike is now with the Honda dealership and mechanics, and it's now in their hands to fix these irritating noises. They've acknowledged most noises and they've identified the source of noises from the front fender. Some rubber bits go underneath it to support the fender rail, and those rubbers weren't there. The rest of the noises, let's just hope they fix them!

I've also taken the opportunity to have them change the engine oil to 15w-50 fully synthetic (Castrol). I could not, for the life of me, find the Mobil 1 oil that many of you use. This one I'm using is really good and very popular among the sportbike crowd. Price of the oil was good although I'm happy to pay as much as needed for engine oil.

Coolant fluid is to be changed too. Shaft drive oil too, although I was told that there's no need to have it changed for 30-40k miles, is this right? I don't trust what's there from the previous owner and from my previous mechanic, so I've told them to put new oil/grease in there (Honda's recommended grease).

They'll be tearing apart the whole front. I've told them to even inspect how my All Balls racing mod is doing and to tighten whatever needs tightening. They're going to check every single piece on the front, which is going to be a bit costly but I'm willing to spend my money to have this bike back like a queen that she is.

Fork fluid will be fully changed to 15w, anyone have experiences with 15w? Honda recommends at least 10w, so 15w is good to go. I've read some good reviews of 15w fork oil on the VTX 1300, especially with the Progressive springs that I have. I thought about going with 20w fork oil, but I've read of some people reporting that the bike turns and feels slower on the front. I can still tell the mechanics to use 20w fork oil instead of 15 fork oil, so I'm open to your input.

They'll be installing my LED lights on my Cobra fatty bar. My girlfriend was opposed to this as she thinks that they bike will look like a boat. However, I'm full on convinced on the power of being as visible as possible. So I have my new halogen headlight plus the BBP lightbar with LEDs plus, now, the new LED lights on the fatty engine bar. Talk about being visible!

They'll also be installing my Show Chrome triple tree cover which I was waiting to do myself during Christmas, but I thought that they could do it while they were dismantling the whole front.

I should have the bike by next week, but I'm going on holidays with my girl, so I won't be using the bike until 9 days or so as I return from my holidays.

I'm so hoping that they fix the noises of my beautiful VTX 1300. I can't wait to go on a month-long journey again with the bike and my lady. We're already looking at dates somewhere around April/May.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts