Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a digital tach for my 1300 S 2003 model. Instructions say red wire to hot, black to ground, green to ign. I connected the green to one leg of the front coil. Tach worked but only shows half of the RPM. Like it shows 623 rpm's at idle,and I know it should be about 1000 rpm's . Any ideas. I am sure that some of you folks have installed one, and know how to make it work right, Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just bought a digital tach for my 1300 S 2003 model. Instructions say red wire to hot, black to ground, green to ign. I connected the green to one leg of the front coil. Tach worked but only shows half of the RPM. Like it shows 623 rpm's at idle,and I know it should be about 1000 rpm's . Any ideas. I am sure that some of you folks have installed one, and know how to make it work right, Thanks for any help.
Wrong Tach for your ignition system. Some Tachs are for Dual-fire ignitions and some are for single fire ignitions, i forget which the VTX1300 is of these. The Tach you got would probably work on the EFI Fury or EFI twins. VTX is probably single-fire ignition and the pulse rate is being cut it half by a Tach designed to go with a dual-fire ignition.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Hans, is the VTX 1300 a single-fire or dual-fire ignition? I can never seem to keep this straight.
I do not remember. Tach issues are frequent. Somewhere back in time is the answer.

Tachs, switchback leds. RTB I usually like to stay out of.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I finely got it working. I had to switch the tack wire ( green) to the other leg of the coil. Odd, that the first leg was supposed to be the signal side, but it turns out the inside leg is the trip side. Anyway it works great now,and is hard to see in the sun. If you cover the top of the tach with your hand to block the direct sun, you can see it, otherwise it works great. Thanks for all that helped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts