Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my air box cover came out great wrapped in vinyl. I wanted to do something with the spark plug covers since the chrome was bubbling up and starting to separate from the edges of the plastic. I'm a cheap SOB and don't want to buy new covers and decided to give them a thorough sanding and paint them. I wanted to continue with the black theme and wrap the covers in regular soft black leather, but I figured that there is no way the front spark cover would survive being wrapped. That is the worst one where the chrome is separated and I'm sure it's from the heat from the front exhaust pipe. So....I primed and painted them gloss black. I don't think I like it. There is no gloss black on the bike at all. I'm thinking that when I get home, I'm going to wet sand them and hit them with matt clear coat and bring them a little closer to that dull black leather look. Thoughts?? Don't be afraid to tell me it looks like crap cause it probably does.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
167 Posts
It does look like crap, LOL.
But stay on it, you will eventually get it right.

Those Driving lights on your crash bar look they would illuminate very well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does look like crap, LOL.
But stay on it, you will eventually get it right.

Those Driving lights on your crash bar look they would illuminate very well.
Thanks for the honesty! Lol
Those pods are great! Saved me from many deer to and from work. They're pointed slightly toward the roadside to give me half a chance to avoid the deer and hogs!

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
I agree that matte black will look better. But I’m not so hard down on the current look as you seem to be.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that matte black will look better. But I’m not so hard down on the current look as you seem to be.
I don't know about the black covers.....the bubbled up chrome looked good at a distance, but was obviously terrible up close. I still think the leather accents on the engine would be awesome, but probably short lived close to the pipes unless I could come up with a shield of sorts. Idk. I'll play around some more this weekend. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
did you try that plastic dip paint? comes off easy if you don't like it and I know some who have it on their cars and it hold up ok. I had my side covers painted by ponyz years ago to match the bike because I didn't like the plastic chrome. Still look great but for a couple chips.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You would have to sand all the chrome off to a smooth surface. Find some black spray paint for plastic surfaces. Seems like a lot of work for hours to go thru. I would just get a used cover on ebay or buy a new one.

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
….. 🤮 ….at 73 soon to be 74…I’m old school ,I like chrome….having said that I had pony paint my side covers,air box and radiator shroud…same color of the bike……………………but I have extra chrome everything for backup…..painted items look as good as day done 14 years a go….good luck

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
So my air box cover came out great wrapped in vinyl. I wanted to do something with the spark plug covers since the chrome was bubbling up and starting to separate from the edges of the plastic. I'm a cheap SOB and don't want to buy new covers and decided to give them a thorough sanding and paint them. I wanted to continue with the black theme and wrap the covers in regular soft black leather, but I figured that there is no way the front spark cover would survive being wrapped. That is the worst one where the chrome is separated and I'm sure it's from the heat from the front exhaust pipe. So....I primed and painted them gloss black. I don't think I like it. There is no gloss black on the bike at all. I'm thinking that when I get home, I'm going to wet sand them and hit them with matt clear coat and bring them a little closer to that dull black leather look. Thoughts?? Don't be afraid to tell me it looks like crap cause it probably does. View attachment 195263 View attachment 195264
Tastes are relative, and the owner is the only one that matters. There are varying kinds of black available from gloss to semi-gloss, to matte, to flat.

Reactions: unit505

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
….. 🤮 ….at 73 soon to be 74…I’m old school ,I like chrome….having said that I had pony paint my side covers,air box and radiator shroud…same color of the bike……………………but I have extra chrome everything for backup…..painted items look as good as day done 14 years a go….good luck
I thought about going white with them to see what that would look like. Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did you try that plastic dip paint? comes off easy if you don't like it and I know some who have it on their cars and it hold up ok. I had my side covers painted by ponyz years ago to match the bike because I didn't like the plastic chrome. Still look great but for a couple chips.
Definitely should have tried plastidip to test how I liked the black before I sanded the chrome. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know..at this point....for a couple of hours work and the practice, I may go ahead and wrap the covers in my standard black marine grade vinyl and just see how it holds up. If it fails from the heat, I'll either sand them back down and try the white or buy a new set. Teaching myself to do the air box wrap was very satisfying and fun.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Honesty, you did a great job on the air box, but it still looks like crap to me, and the black engine covers is yet more crap, not because of the color, but it just looks odd and I think going matte would be worse. The only way I can imagine an improvement is to totally paint the entire engine, and shine the fins as some have done, so the final look would be a blacked out engine and cover with chrome looking fins (if done right).

Another option...
Below is a bike I totally customized and the engine covers were chrome, (plasti-chrome) just like the VTX covers are. I was able to actually peal off the chrome leaving just plastic using a razor blade to get under the chrome and a needle-nose plyers to grab the raised flake of chrome and peal it off.

I painted mine in a Rust-Oleum hammered gray top, with aluminum trim sides, then sprayed a coat of clear coat and polished it. I wanted to tone down the flashy chrome look, but didn't want black so I like the way it came out. I think the hammered gray on your covers would look better than the current black, as it adds some contrast to the black air cover, but wouldn't be so stark against the engine as the current black.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

You could go with a darker shade, but here is what hammered gray paint looks like up close:
Water Vehicle door Automotive exterior Wood Rectangle

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honesty, you did a great job on the air box, but it still looks like crap to me, and the black engine covers is yet more crap, not because of the color, but it just looks odd and I think going matte would be worse. The only way I can imagine an improvement is to totally paint the entire engine, and shine the fins as some have done, so the final look would be a blacked out engine and cover with chrome looking fins (if done right).

Another option...
Below is a bike I totally customized and the engine covers were chrome, (plasti-chrome) just like the VTX covers are. I was able to actually peal off the chrome leaving just plastic using a razor blade to get under the chrome and a needle-nose plyers to grab the raised flake of chrome and peal it off.

I painted mine in a Rust-Oleum hammered gray top, with aluminum trim sides, then sprayed a coat of clear coat and polished it. I wanted to tone down the flashy chrome look, but didn't want black so I like the way it came out. I think the hammered gray on your covers would look better than the current black, as it adds some contrast to the black air cover, but wouldn't be so stark against the engine as the current black.

View attachment 195287

You could go with a darker shade, but here is what hammered gray paint looks like up close:
View attachment 195288
I like the hammered grey! That sounds like a great option and color contrast! It would be close to the graphite grey seat inserts as well! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
You know..at this point....for a couple of hours work and the practice, I may go ahead and wrap the covers in my standard black marine grade vinyl and just see how it holds up. If it fails from the heat, I'll either sand them back down and try the white or buy a new set. Teaching myself to do the air box wrap was very satisfying and fun.
Looks good from here. (y)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
no body else would have ones like it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay! I like this better! Hammered Pewter! A very close match to my seat inserts and allot less in your face than the gloss black!
Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Another option...

View attachment 195287

View attachment 195288
Thank you! I found "Hammered Pewter" this morning. It matches my seats very well and looks allot better IMO!
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Okay! I like this better! Hammered Pewter! A very close match to my seat inserts and allot less in your face than the gloss black!

Thank you! I found "Hammered Pewter" this morning. It matches my seats very well and looks allot better IMO!

I agree that it looks better, and am glad you're pleased. Now that I see the photos, it makes me think painting the lower engine the same color would balance it out, but you'd have to pull the pipes to do it, not to mention all the prep work prior to painting. Post a photo of how the other side of your bike looks.

If you don't mind, I have another suggestion. A lot of riders hate chrome tank trim, (me included) but I hate the weld that shows under our tank and bought black trim to improve the look. Check out my tank in the photo below. I think your tank would look better with this trim, and I even used it to trim along the underside of my chrome tank instrument panel. To me both on the bike makes it look 'finished'. The stuff is really cheap, so if you don't like the look, no big loss, however it's a nice improvement for cheap if you like the look.

Installation tip: The plastic is easier to apply in bends with a hair drier set on hot to heat up the plastic and it holds the shape better. The trim has a line of adhesive inside, so make sure to press hard on/over your tank seam evenly to ensure the trim is pressed on far enough for the adhesive to make contact. It all just pulls off with no damage if you decide you don't like it. I trimmed my front fender too.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

https://www.amazon.com/Cowles-T5602-Edge-Trim-Black/dp/B001EA0LJK

Below is my tank with black auto trim. Next photo is my instrument panel with the same trim, and last is my fender.
Fuel tank Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I can see where the trim around the speedometer, would keep that darn thing from vibrating. Like mine does at times, will try that (y)

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I can see where the trim around the speedometer, would keep that darn thing from vibrating. Like mine does at times, will try that (y)
Of course they also sell chrome trim, in case someone might like the edge look in 'chrome'.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts