Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. I am soon to be needing new tires and I feel that there have been many new tires that have come onto the market. I am currently considering Metzler 888 ultra and Michelin commander 3. Has anyone ever used Avon tires? I looked at those as well..

any input is definitely appreciated. I would like to know what tires you have had experience with and how the tires worked for you,

thanks in advance,

Charlie

·
Registered
33,425 Posts
hi everyone. I am soon to be needing new tires and I feel that there have been many new tires that have come onto the market. I am currently considering Metzler 888 ultra and Michelin commander 3. Has anyone ever used Avon tires? I looked at those as well..

any input is definitely appreciated. I would like to know what tires you have had experience with and how the tires worked for you,

thanks in advance,

Charlie
Wrong section, try posting in the General or 1300 boards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
3,870 Posts
Tires are like oil, lots of opinions. My preference is Dunlop Elite 4's or Dunlop American Elites. I currently have an Elite 4 on the front and an American Elite on the rear. I get 20k+ miles out of both front and rear and get good traction in all road conditions. My riding style is not too aggressive. Mileage and opinions will vary.

·
Registered
52 Posts

thanks in advance,
Used AVON Cobra's for years as it was the only high mileage tires we could get up here (Alberta) but as of late their capability has dropped off. I used to get about 18,000 km on the rear and 30,000 km on the fronts but the rear has dropped down to 16,000 km on the last one. Avon's always handled very well in all condition.

Metzler's never gave me more 16,000 km but cupped badly on the front and the rear drive shaft side of the R.

I am currently have a set of Dunlop Elite 4's on the 1800R but need more miles to asses their milage capability, handling is great wet or dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I had metzeler on my 1800 for about 80,000 miles. They were on the bike when I bought it, and didn't know any better.
10,000 miles ago my dealer suggested Avon Cobra. What a difference.
Living in Colorado I do a lot of twisties, I was used to having to work hard to keep the bike in a turn. With the Avons on I now do smooth curves, no fighting the bike. It is Avon for me from now on.

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
Communist! It is certainly the fault of president trump that your tires wore out!!!!!

Just pay more taxes and it will be ok.

:D

·
Old Goat
25,615 Posts
I bought Shinko, thinking I would be selling my bike...if I decide to keep it will go with Elite 3 or 4...good luck on your choice...

·
Registered
33,425 Posts
I've put Metzler's on all my bikes since 2005.

Reactions: Harkon

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have always run Dunlop Elite on my bike, it's what came on it from the factory. Currently have a set of Elite 4 on it and previous sets have given me ~25k km/set. Not knowing any better, I kept the factory set at the recommended 33/36 psi and got ~15k km out of them. I learned that by increasing the pressure by 2-3 psi I could get around 25k km out of a set. When I had the 4's installed the tech recommended 37/42 psi so that's what I now run at and will be interested to see what kind of life I get out of them. Also, I run my bike pretty hard and in all kinds of weather without ever having a slippage problem.

·
Premium Member
8,158 Posts
I've put Metzler's on all my bikes since 2005.
Me too, since forever. Metz upgraded the 880 to the 888. It's a pretty good tire IMO.

Reactions: RBS

·
Banned
817 Posts
I've got Metzelers for the past few years...no complaints. But I may give the Avons a try, based on the above comments.

Reactions: Harkon

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Charles shows his ride to be a 2008 VTX1800F1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Used AVON Cobra's for years as it was the only high mileage tires we could get up here (Alberta) but as of late their capability has dropped off. I used to get about 18,000 km on the rear and 30,000 km on the fronts but the rear has dropped down to 16,000 km on the last one. Avon's always handled very well in all condition.

Metzler's never gave me more 16,000 km but cupped badly on the front and the rear drive shaft side of the R.

I am currently have a set of Dunlop Elite 4's on the 1800R but need more miles to asses their milage capability, handling is great wet or dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

appreciate your input

·
Registered
32 Posts

thanks in advance,
My '04 1800N came with Dunlops and lasted less than 5K miles moderate to hard twisty riding. I replaced with Avon Venom's which I believe are being phased out. The Avon's were awesome on curves and at speed - really 'sticky' on the road. I got just over 6K miles on those however, and switched to Metzlers. I'm a few K miles on these and am enjoying them. I don't feel they grip the road quite as well as the Venom's, but have never lost traction and believe I'll get more miles out of these. I'm hearing good things about the Dunlop Elites, more regarding their durability but also on handling.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts