Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
After much thought and research I choose to go with the Avon chrome A91. I appreciate all the input and will definitely post on how these tires last and perform. Thank you all again
Avons are good tires... Good luck with your new tires !

·
Premium Member
12,922 Posts
I'm on my 4th set of the stock Dunnies, I believe. 3rd set of footpegs, hoping to make them the last.
I get them warm (Dunlops) and I have run with superbikes through some twisties, hanging very tough. Stuck like glue every time triple-digits through the sweepers. Your mileage may vary, but in all honesty I think the tires of today are all probably suitable---for well beyond my capabilities as a rider.

Reactions: pushrod and dud-57

·
Premium Member
12,922 Posts
After much thought and research I choose to go with the Avon chrome A91. I appreciate all the input and will definitely post on how these tires last and perform. Thank you all again
Let us know!

Reactions: RBS

·
Premium Member
12,922 Posts
The stock Dunlops sometimes are 404's, the Elite's 3, 4 and American Elite are a much better line of tire than what Honda puts on new.
Gotcha. Mine say D251 on them, this particular set. But it's the 4th and I haven't ridden enough miles over the last 8 years to test them or wear this set, truth be told.

Reactions: pushrod

·
Registered
52 Posts
appreciate your input
The original Dunlop's made for VTX R were pretty bad, got only 9,000 km on the rear, so it was a big step to go over the Elite 4 to try! My ridding buddy has them on his HD full dresser and has over 30,000 km on them, so here is hopping.
Just a note on the Avon's:
When they first came they were called Avon Venom R (the best 20 k km on them on the rear). Then they went to Avon Cobra's started at 18 k km on the rear but my last set were getting bad at 16.5 k km and I took them off before the Strugis run ( that got cancelled due to Wuhan virus and boarder closing). My other riding buddy who was also using the Avon's put on the new Chrome this past spring and seems to like them on his C model so we are doing a milage comparison!
You will find them a much better tire than what was on your bike, I was running them at 40 lbs rear and 38 lbs front on the R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
hi everyone. I am soon to be needing new tires and I feel that there have been many new tires that have come onto the market. I am currently considering Metzler 888 ultra and Michelin commander 3. Has anyone ever used Avon tires? I looked at those as well..

any input is definitely appreciated. I would like to know what tires you have had experience with and how the tires worked for you,

thanks in advance,

Charlie
I like Avon on my 1800T Metzler was good Dunlop ok Shinko was by far the worst tire I have ever had on any bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi everyone. I am soon to be needing new tires and I feel that there have been many new tires that have come onto the market. I am currently considering Metzler 888 ultra and Michelin commander 3. Has anyone ever used Avon tires? I looked at those as well..

any input is definitely appreciated. I would like to know what tires you have had experience with and how the tires worked for you,

thanks in advance,

Charlie
I like the Dunlop Elite 4

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The original Dunlop's made for VTX R were pretty bad, got only 9,000 km on the rear, so it was a big step to go over the Elite 4 to try! My ridding buddy has them on his HD full dresser and has over 30,000 km on them, so here is hopping.
Just a note on the Avon's:
When they first came they were called Avon Venom R (the best 20 k km on them on the rear). Then they went to Avon Cobra's started at 18 k km on the rear but my last set were getting bad at 16.5 k km and I took them off before the Strugis run ( that got cancelled due to Wuhan virus and boarder closing). My other riding buddy who was also using the Avon's put on the new Chrome this past spring and seems to like them on his C model so we are doing a milage comparison!
You will find them a much better tire than what was on your bike, I was running them at 40 lbs rear and 38 lbs front on the R.

thank you. I really appreciate you sharing the experience of you and your buddies. I especially appreciate mentioning tire pressures. I think this played a part in my tire life and how they cupped. But yeah they are Dunlops and not elites, I can attest that I have had some handling issues with them as well. a right curve in the road produces almost a grinding feeling and weird vibration. I am hopeful that the new tires fix this. The tech will be doing a once over for me as well. I was considering doing the labor of removing the wheels for the tire change, but I think its worth it to have a n experienced tech look things over while he changes them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
thank you. I really appreciate you sharing the experience of you and your buddies. I especially appreciate mentioning tire pressures. I think this played a part in my tire life and how they cupped. But yeah they are Dunlops and not elites, I can attest that I have had some handling issues with them as well. a right curve in the road produces almost a grinding feeling and weird vibration. I am hopeful that the new tires fix this. The tech will be doing a once over for me as well. I was considering doing the labor of removing the wheels for the tire change, but I think its worth it to have a n experienced tech look things over while he changes them.
Have them check rear axel bearings as they can be a problem on these big bikes!

·
Registered
1 Posts

thanks in advance,

Charlie
I have the Metzler 888 on my 1800, and I love them! No problems at all and had the balanced with dynabeads. Very even wear and no complaints.

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
No one ever has these Dunlop's on line when I search, and a tire guy keeps suggestion Michelins to me ...
Just like my tire guy recommends Metz. If you're like me, and you trust your guy, tell him you'll try, but they better live up, or he owes you a break in your next set of whatever else. Kinda the "put up or shut up" defense. My tire guy was bang on. He warned me that the 200 profile tire on my VTX was going to wear faster than the 180. And it did. On my HD, he said the 888 would last as long and perform better than the HD Dunlops. And they do. I know my guy gets a better price on the Metzlers because of the volume he does. Impressive for the size of shop he has. So stock is better, new and price is not bad. And, he takes responsibility if you get a bad tire.

Reactions: Charles H and Blast

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had Metzler 880's on the front and had 888's on the rear for a long time. The last 3 888's were replaced early, not from wear but from a chunk missing from the tires. Will try and see if I still have a picture from the last one. Thought the first time I must have had to have happened during my accident. I eneded up laying the bike down after skidding it in both to right and left , trying to avoid a a line of cars that went from 55 to 0 real quick (the 888 is a hard compound and I found anything hard on the rear brakes the tire let loose and skids so I was ready for it both times). I missed everything but the road... Noticed the missing piece about a month later as I walked up from behind the bike (I have an 09 R and the long fenders look nice but hide a bunch of the tires...) limped it home after I saw it and ordered a new tire. On the 2nd one, I thought that I must have hit something in the road, but when it happened a 3rd time I said that was it. The harder compound did make it last longer, but the skidding under breaking and the chunks missing finally did me in with the Metzlers...
The 880 I liked a lot but I had that normal shake around 30-40 MPH that everyone describes about the neck bearings. Didn't think much of it until I changed brands recently, went with Shinko's on both tires. No more shake at any speed. Don't know enough yet on mileage but the grip and wear seem fine so far.
Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
I had Metzler 880's on the front and had 888's on the rear for a long time. The last 3 888's were replaced early, not from wear but from a chunk missing from the tires. Will try and see if I still have a picture from the last one. Thought the first time I must have had to have happened during my accident. I eneded up laying the bike down after skidding it in both to right and left , trying to avoid a a line of cars that went from 55 to 0 real quick (the 888 is a hard compound and I found anything hard on the rear brakes the tire let loose and skids so I was ready for it both times). I missed everything but the road... Noticed the missing piece about a month later as I walked up from behind the bike (I have an 09 R and the long fenders look nice but hide a bunch of the tires...) limped it home after I saw it and ordered a new tire. On the 2nd one, I thought that I must have hit something in the road, but when it happened a 3rd time I said that was it. The harder compound did make it last longer, but the skidding under breaking and the chunks missing finally did me in with the Metzlers...
The 880 I liked a lot but I had that normal shake around 30-40 MPH that everyone describes about the neck bearings. Didn't think much of it until I changed brands recently, went with Shinko's on both tires. No more shake at any speed. Don't know enough yet on mileage but the grip and wear seem fine so far.
Just my $.02
Thanks for sharing that. I've never had a Metzler fail, only replacing them due to wear. Either I am really lucky, or you really unfortunate. I would do the same as you in that experience. It's definitely not worth the pain. Go with what works for you.

·
Registered
33,518 Posts
Years ago on my 1st legal bike, I needed new tires.
Couldn't afford them, and since the bike was my only transportation I kept riding.

Finally bought tires, dropped it off at the shop. It was then I saw the rear tire was bald.
(Being young & stupid, I never checked the tire before.)

When I went to pick it up, the shop owner pointed out that my
old tire had about 14 inches of cord showing. 😬

21 - 40 of 40 Posts