Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on my '14 Yami 1300 Tourer, duel front disk brakes.

Front tire went flat, bought a new Metz & had it installed.
I felt a ''buzzing" in the grips, & at 40 mph, if I wasn't holding tight to the bars, they'd really jump around.

Turned out they mounted the tire with the red dot on the sidewall almost opposite of the air valve.
Had them remount the tire correctly, now the bars no longer jump, but I still get an intense buzzing at 40mph.
Above & below 40, I can still feel it, but not as pronounced.

Also, & I don't know if this is relevant, before I had them remount the tire, I was riding at 20mph, when I heard a loud crack.
Hard to describe the sound. sorta like a firecracker. I turned around to see if I could determine what it was, but saw nothing.

And no, it wasn't a firecracker. I would have smelled/seen the smoke. Also, it's a very affluent neighborhood, old money & young families,.

I would think if something broke, they would have discovered it when they remounted the tire.

Any ideas? Something I should look for?

Thanks,
Rick

(Also posted on the Yamaha Forum)

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Metz 888 had a buzz at 27-28 mph on the rear tire. A few people had that.
The harmonic caused the rear shock cover to vibrate.

Internal belt break or bead?

·
Registered
26,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Metz 888 had a buzz at 27-28 mph on the rear tire. A few people had that.
The harmonic caused the rear shock cover to vibrate.

Internal belt break or bead?
There were 2 loud pops when the Tech remounted the tire.
How could I tell if a belt broke?

What I find odd is riding in a straight line I get the buzz, but any deviation, cornering, weaving, changing lanes,
the buzz goes away.

BTW thanks for responding. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
Does the buzz vary with throttle? If you give it more gas, does it buzz more/less?

Did you check the fasteners around the front tire?
Sometimes they work loose when they work on the front end.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
There were 2 loud pops when the Tech remounted the tire.
How could I tell if a belt broke?

What I find odd is riding in a straight line I get the buzz, but any deviation, cornering, weaving, changing lanes,
the buzz goes away.

BTW thanks for responding. :thumbup:
If the belt broke, that would be visible...

·
Registered
26,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the buzz vary with throttle? If you give it more gas, does it buzz more/less?

Did you check the fasteners around the front tire?
Sometimes they work loose when they work on the front end.
Seems I feel the buzz from around 20 mph up. It gets gradually worse from 20 up to 40.
40 is where it's most pronounced.
Accelerating /riding past 40 it lessens, but still noticeable.

Any gear, clutch in or out, engine off, accelerating, slowing down,
or at a steady speed, I still feel it.

When they remounted the tire he checked everything.

I'm thinking about getting another tire from a different supplier & have it mounted.
If the problem goes away, it was the tire.
If the problem remains, there's something else wrong, & I have 2 new tires.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Check everything associated with changing that front tire.

Axle alignment, pinch bolts, Brake performance, pads, wheel balance. The front brakes can make some noise after having the wheel/rotors removed and replaced, the noise usually goes away shortly after using the brakes for a little while. But if the axle alignment procedure wasn't done properly and the rotors are slightly askew as a result, that can make a buzzing noise too with the brake pads.

if money were no object going to another shop and re-doing everything would be a nice choice.

Also doesnt explain the loud "bang" you heard which could be a backfire or the tire seating on the rim a final time, might not have been fully seated??? Good Luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seems I feel the buzz from around 20 mph up. It gets gradually worse from 20 up to 40.
40 is where it's most pronounced.
Accelerating /riding past 40 it lessens, but still noticeable.

Any gear, clutch in or out, engine off, accelerating, slowing down,
or at a steady speed, I still feel it.

When they remounted the tire he checked everything.

I'm thinking about getting another tire from a different supplier & have it mounted.
If the problem goes away, it was the tire.
If the problem remains, there's something else wrong, & I have 2 new tires.
I would go with the same dealer, then if the problem is corrected there shouldnt be a fight for warranty.

·
Registered
26,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Solved! Bad Tire!

Rode to Cycle Gear where I purchased the tire, informed the manager about the problem.
He said it might be "This'', or it could be "That", or it could be the forks got twisted.
He suggested I go to the Independent shop behind C-G & have them take a look.

So I go, and Lo & Behold, the guy who used to work on my bike 15 years ago is running the shop.
Said the owner was recovering from a bad case of Lyme Disease.

So, I tell him the story (As I related here). When I'm done, he states it's the tire.
I mentioned what the Manager had said. When I was done speaking, he said it's the tire, and
went on to explain why it couldn't be what the Mgr. said.

Then, Fate Smiled on me!

He called his supplier, that tire was on back order.
Then he looked at his rack of new tires, I'd guess there were no more than 8, and he
had the one Metz, that fit my bike.

Swapped tires, road tested it, came back, had me road test it, I payed for it, & was good to go.
Brought the bad tire back to Cycle Gear & got my money back.

Just FYI, the mechanic told me I was the 4th person into his shop in the past 6 weeks that got a bad tire.
He's replaced 2 Dunlops, a Pirelli, & my Metz.

I still have a very, very slight buzz, which I'm hoping is due to the newness of the tire.

Thanks to you all for your opinions, insight, and trying to help me out.:thumbup:

If any of you ever get to Connecticut, let me know.
I'll take you to dinner and make sure you get an extra Tomato on your salad. :wink2:

·
Registered
26,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what was the "loud crack" "Firecracker" sound you heard? Tire related or? Did you mention it to the shop?

Funny you should ask...

I neglected to tell the shop, but, I happened to ride the same road today,

Right in the area I heard the bang, I saw an empty plastic "Nipper" bottle with the cap screwed on & the bottom blown out.
I figure I ran over it.

With the new tire, the bike handles & rides like it did before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts