Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a wolo horn and need some help with the wiring. I am planning on using the relay that came with it. I was planning on splicing in a new wire to fuse panel. what are your thoughts ?. 30/40A Relay marked 30,87,85,86

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
What I did was mount the relay where the old horn was and used the horn button to fire the relay. Then run a larger 12-14 gauge wire back to a fuse panel I installed a few years ago. As long as the "hot" wire is fused properly you'll be OK. IMHO

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
I have the fuse block mod too, and have my relay next to the block under the side cover. I also have the old wire as the trigger.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I trigger off the regular horn wire but I didn't cut it, just tied into it. So when I push the button I get the original horn and the Stebel. The air horns have a fairly high failure rate on bikes from taking water in on the intake side. When I need it most I didn't want to find the horn wasn't working or maybe 1000's of miles from home finding I didn't have a horn anymore. I have a Marine Stebel with extra baffels on the intake to help prevent water from being sucked in. Mine is still working with 10's of thousands of miles with a lot of rain but my son's regular Stebel didn't last all that long. He rides over an hour to work, rain or shine. But on the other hand I don't think I ever pushed the button in heavy rain or vehicle spray so even the Marine one just might suck up water too.
The Wolo has a 20A fuse and you're going a few feet so the appropriate size wire would be 18ga, 16 if you want to up size it.
http://www.offroaders.com/technical/12-volt-wiring-tech-gauge-to-amps/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.