Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I'm with you. I'm the same, and my wife is not at all concerned. Of course we do work in the same office, but still.

I wasn't just referring to you and your wife. Aside from that, personally, I'd just let it go. It's a solo setup, I'd leave it as is, as opposed to going to any lengths for the girls at the office. As a manager with several employees, it's been my experience that such an overture is unnecessarily risky ... professionally speaking. It's something that is almost impossible to see from your vantage point, but it's there. Could be everyone has a lot if fun and that's it. Could be not.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
If I worked there, and I wasn't married, I'd check that out.
Trina is an awesome owner/boss. She just retired a month ago, while not running the company on a day by day basis any longer, she is still designing her clothing line and comes in once or twice a month.

She has gone through a lot in the past few years, from the accidental death of her husband in a freak surfing accident, to almost losing the company during Covid, those of us that believe in her and the company pushed through, took a pay cut and did what was necessary to stay the course, and she has rewarded that loyalty financially and in other ways. I can't say enough good things about her as a person and as an owner, I have major respect and high regard for her. She were very supportive with my medical issues over the past 18 months as well, expanding the health insurance to cover things I needed which originally were not covered, and they pay 100% for our healthcare, zero out of pocket for employees, full and part time.

Are y'all hiring???

we have some openings in design, know anything about designing woman's swimwear and semi-formal gowns? :ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm with you. I'm the same, and my wife is not at all concerned. Of course we do work in the same office, but still.

I wasn't just referring to you and your wife. Aside from that, personally, I'd just let it go. It's a solo setup, I'd leave it as is, as opposed to going to any lengths for the girls at the office. As a manager with several employees, it's been my experience that such an overture is unnecessarily risky ... professionally speaking. It's something that is almost impossible to see from your vantage point, but it's there. Could be everyone has a lot if fun and that's it. Could be not.

I rarely socialize with co-workers, I learned that lesson years ago. They have happy hours and after work gatherings all the time and I never get involved.

the OP is more tongue in cheek. 18 months ago when I was 400+ lbs, most of these woman never looked twice at me or spoke to me outside of their IT needs. now I can't get them to stop the silliness.

I do want to setup a rear seat on my VTX though, not a permanent one, but one that I can easily put on when the mood strikes.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have a few suggestions. Add-ons that require some tools and patience.

To start off, what did you plan to do? You've been thinking of this for a while?:whistle:

not sure what the plan is at this point. I first need to figure out if the fender will even support the weight.

I'm tearing the bike down for paint and powder coating next month.

updating and changing the look a bit. new pipes, removing a bunch of the chrome and PC it matte black, need to fix some paint issues with the rear fender and side panels.

when I do that I will look into how to set up something in the event I want a passenger.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The best thing to do ... leave it a solo bike. Tell the girls its set up for solo, and you'd like to take them for a ride, but it is what it is. I absolutely love having my wife on the back, no one else ... ever. They don't know how to be good passengers, and I would feel like crap if anything ever happened. Not worth it brother.
Wise words Harkon. I used to ride with a club and on some rides there were spare women looking to come along on someones bike. I always kept my bike solo as I dont like two up and it gave my wife peace of mind. I know we all have wives that we love but why would you give any other woman the time of day.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Trina is an awesome owner/boss. She just retired a month ago, while not running the company on a day by day basis any longer, she is still designing her clothing line and comes in once or twice a month.

She has gone through a lot in the past few years, from the accidental death of her husband in a freak surfing accident, to almost losing the company during Covid, those of us that believe in her and the company pushed through, took a pay cut and did what was necessary to stay the course, and she has rewarded that loyalty financially and in other ways. I can't say enough good things about her as a person and as an owner, nor can I say enough good things about our CEO Jackie. I have major respect and high regard for both. They were very supportive with my medical issues over the past 18 months as well, expanding the health insurance to cover things I needed which originally were not covered, and they pay 100% for our healthcare, zero out of pocket for employees, full and part time.

we have some openings in design, know anything about designing woman's swimwear and semi-formal gowns? :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Designing, no. Opening the zips and fasteners, yes.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
I rarely socialize with co-workers, I learned that lesson years ago. They have happy hours and after work gatherings all the time and I never get involved.

the OP is more tongue in cheek. 18 months ago when I was 400+ lbs, most of these woman never looked twice at me or spoke to me outside of their IT needs. now I can't get them to stop the silliness.

I do want to setup a rear seat on my VTX though, not a permanent one, but one that I can easily put on when the mood strikes.
My Ultimate attaches to the bike at 3 points: The 2 side bolts, and the rear fender nut/ stud. The 2 side bolts have been replaced with the "Seat Pin Mod". Takes me a minute to remove or put the seat on/ off.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Keep your bike solo so you don't become solo at home or work.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Keep your bike solo so you don't become solo at home or work.

Lol, not worried about either,

FWIW, I put my 1.5 seat on today and took my daughter for a ride, as long as I lock the OEM suspension in 4 or 5 it doesn’t seem to effect the fender clearance, 3 or lower and the fender bottoms out on the tire, at 112lbs she didn’t seem to stress the fender any, Don’t think I would ride anyone over 125 though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can get a quick attach passenger seat and solo rack that swap out with just a " thumb wheel" type nut that attaches at the original fender spot. I have one on my 1800C and it would not be hard to make one if you couldn't find one. I don't recall where I got mine but likely Ebay.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You can get a quick attach passenger seat and solo rack that swap out with just a " thumb wheel" type nut that attaches at the original fender spot. I have one on my 1800C and it would not be hard to make one if you couldn't find one. I don't recall where I got mine but likely Ebay.
the problem isn't the seat as stated, the problem is that the original OEM fender was cut and widened to accommodate a 240 tire, as a result the original fender support which was rated for passenger weight was removed, the fender was reinforced with cross members welded to the inside of the aluminum fender.

the concern is the weight on the fender that could cause the fender to flex AND since there is no framing, added weight could result in the fender bottoming out on the tire.

the fender bottoming out on the tire doesn't seem to be that much of an issue as noted a few posts up, with the OEM shock preload setting on 5 it is stiff enough to prevent the fender from touching the tire even with an added ~120lbs on it.

I still have a concern of the fender being flexed badly if we drive over a bump or crappy road that makes the passenger bounce.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
That was funny Captain. And you know damn well a wife would notice it. My bikes are also set up solo. No seat or footpegs. When asked for a ride I say; "Oh no, you don't want to do that. Motorbikes are dangerous". That usually confuses them enough that they just leave it alone. And it's not that I dislike having a rider. My dear Nancy and I went all over the east coast on my old pan/shovel.

·
Premium Member
10,383 Posts
That was funny Captain. And you know damn well a wife would notice it. My bikes are also set up solo. No seat or footpegs. When asked for a ride I say; "Oh no, you don't want to do that. Motorbikes are dangerous". That usually confuses them enough that they just leave it alone. And it's not that I dislike having a rider. My dear Nancy and I went all over the east coast on my old pan/shovel.
Here helmet laws dictate. I don't carry a spare helmet and anyone asking doesn't own a helmet, so it's an easy ... "sorry, no helmet"

·
Registered
6 Posts

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that being the nice guy, or anything that looks like it at the company you work at is not a good idea. I gave a single girl from work in a snow storm a ride home and got her home safely. she called in a few days later and quit. Two months later I get a summons to appear for sexual harassment. Fortunately, the company stood by me and saw thru her scam. It cost me "one dollar", per the judgement, and the company paid her a ton of money. I kept my job, but not for long. I left for greener pastures. Just some words from the wise. You do know the difference between smart and wise right. Bear with me. The father bull and his son were atop the hill looking down on the cows, the son said, "dad let run down and screw one of those cows", the father said, "son lets walk down and screw all those cows". That is the difference between smart and wisdom. By the way, I'm 78 and still riding, love it. Stay safe all you two wheelers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's an easy one for me. I just say to anyone who asks that it's a brand new bike for me and I am barely comfortable on it solo, let alone bringing someone who has no helmet, gear or riding experience. Funny thing? Since this is my first cruiser type bike, it's also true.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.