Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I always knew the VTX was a heavy bike. But I must say I have a new respect for this machine after having her lean on my thigh holding on for dear life and to top it off a full tank of gas! To be honest, had I laid her down I would not be able to come to terms with myself. I'll take the physiotherapy any day over a dropped bike! I think as motorcycle riders we all have a little bit of craziness in all of us.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I crashed a motorcycle (Suzuki GS1100) once driving up a curb, through a wooden fence, over the handlebars, flipped & hit my shoulder and came to rest on my back in a neighbors yard. The first thing I did was jump up and try to lift my bike off the grass to assess the bike's damage. I was puzzled why I couldn't lift my bike up, as it wasn't THAT heavy. I soon discovered I had broken my collar bone. :surprise:

The bike came through it all with only a few scratches on the mirror and at that time in my life the bike was more important than my broken bone. 8)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
After a 500 mile ride, I was at the gas station and my bike started the slo-mo fall. I couldn't stop it but held on as long as I could. Fortunately, another biker coming into the gas station saw what was happening, stopped, jumped off and helped before it hit the ground. My back hurt for weeks.

Fast forward a few years and I was at a stop sign with an older guy on a big Harley. While trying to start and go around the turn he started the slo-mo. I put it in park and jumped out and helped him before it hit the ground. He was a little shaken so I helped him move it out of the roadway so he could take a moment to recover. People started honking their horns so I just left my Suburban in the road for a bit.

Moral of the story: Accept help when you need and then pay if forward.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your car apparently has the same issue as mine: slowing down on the sound of horns, or when already stopped, stopping longer.
I think that is a well-engineered workaround for a car not having a middle finger.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You held it up better than me. Mine went down. No damage to the X.
I sure hope you don't need surgery. Keep up with the therapy.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
How about pulling up to the curb at a Mexican Restaurant with picture windows and a venue full of patrons. Me and the Ol' lady looking all BAD in our leathers, she gets off and I go to set the bike down on the kickstand - crap, forgot. Bike goes down on my boot, I drag myself out, and of course the spouse is saying: "are you OK, are you OK?". Now every guy knows that this is the time that we are surveying the damage and the last thing we want is conversation.

I manage to pull my leg out and stand the bike up trying to recover my composure / manhood, when we look into the window of the restaurant and realize that not only did everyone witness the spectacular arrival but that one of them was a peer of my wife.

I quietly entered the place...

·
Registered
48 Posts
What you did and what has happened to many of us. I have 2 of those fails on my 2006 VTX1800C. I went and got gas at Costco. Filled her up. Drove to the front of the store and stopped. Turned off the ignition. Whipped out my phone and recorded on my DriversDiary my gas purchase and decided to go onto Costco. Yup, forgot the side stand. Gentleman helped me pick it up.
Second time time in my garage. Had the bike up and ready to back it out of the garage, but stopped and was messing with my phone again and then remembered I forgot something in the house. Laid the bike on its side as I forgot the side stand again. It was in a tight spot where i couldn't get any leverage to pick it up. I had to go get my son to help me. And when it was up, I saw the custom foot peg was broke.off. Spent a half hour cannibalizing a similar broken peg I had. Turns out that the good parts on both made one good one.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I dropped my bike twice: a parking lot of a hotel after a long day of riding. Imagine a wide crack in the asphalt, with a big tar snake on both sides of it. Just moving my bike from check-in to my room the front wheel got stuck, going 0.0001 mph. I didn't even have to get off of the bike, two bystanders immediately pulled the bike up for me. Now go back two weeks. I dropped one of the screws holding the instrument panel on my tank. Couldn't find it anywhere. Yep, you guessed it. I saw it fall on the ground from wherever it had been hiding for 4000 miles. I recovered it and it is now back where it belongs.

The second time was just plain STUPID. I like to just stop on the side of the road to take a break, eat or drink something, take pictures. I noticed a little trail off the main road where I had been before. Loose sand. Went down right away. Got almost immediate help from a trucker who saw me struggling. Bike back up and the hell out of there.
Later that day at home trying to figure out what went wrong I realized, yes, I had been there before without any problems but that was on FOUR wheels. As I mentioned: STUPID. Live and learn.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I dropped one of the screws holding the instrument panel on my tank. Couldn't find it anywhere. Yep, you guessed it. I saw it fall on the ground from wherever it had been hiding for 4000 miles. I recovered it and it is now back where it belongs.
A guy I ride with has a Vulcan, he rode 700 miles to see a family member accept an award in a small town. On the trip he picked up a nail in his tire and found a shop to get it replaced. In the process, the guy working on the bike found a 10 mm socket wedged in, up against the rad. My friend has no idea where the socket came from, he has all his, so it must have been a PO. Anyhow, the mechanic pulls it out, only to find the socket had been there so long it had rubbed through the rad fins and removing the socket now left a leak. The shop was a Yamaha dealer. Kawasaki will not ship parts to anyone except one of their dealers. None close to where he is. The new rad was shipped to the closest dealer, then shipped to a post office then sent by cab to the Yamaha dealer. This took 5 days. Moral of the story, if you drop a part, tool, nut, bolt, or whatever, make sure you find it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts