Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my recent trip south to the beautiful mountains of northern Georgia, I took a detour around the Smokies and came in to the western side of the Tail of the Dragon.

I had a great ride and no issues although there were a few turns that I did not do to my satisfaction, but I can say I did not cross the double yellow line or go in the grass! This is definitely a ride that one must respect their abilities and keep their speeds within those parameters.

I stopped at Deals Gap and got my picture taken with the Dragon Statue along with getting a T-Shirt and Patch.

After admiring many awesome motorcycles and getting a quick lesson in French from two Canadian riders, I continued south on the Moonshiner 28.

I really enjoyed the Moonshiner 28 too. It had curves that were not quite as tight and allowed you just to ride and enjoy the scenery.

My 2004 VTX1300c handled the trip wonderfully. The new Pirelli MT66 tires I had installed just before the trip performed very well. The stock seat is the only thing that gave me grief and I tried to ignore it. I am likely going to get a Mustang seat soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Congrats on your ride!
I take it you rode 28 to Highlands, than to Sky Valley.
What day and time frame on US129, other photographers may have photographed you also?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your ride!
What day and time frame on US129, other photographers may have photographed you also?
That is the route I took on the way down. On the way back, I went through Cherokee and through the park, stopping at all the best views.

That picture was taken at 9:41 am on 9/7/19.

I was not aware of other photographers.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Got the patch to prove it? :)

I recognize the signs in your avatar. :thumbup:
Glad you had fun. I was there just last week. Though not on my VTX (sad sad) but on a rented HD Sportster. Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would since I felt like a teenager on a Vespa. I didn't realize I was so used to the weight & size of my VTX. Next time, I am paying more to rent a full size HD.

Dja get anything to eat at the grill? I opted for the pulled-pork sandwich. It was very tasty and tender, loved it.

Got any other pictures?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Glad you were able to go. Went several years ago. It's fun if you like twisties, lol. And you had nothing to add to the Tree of Shame..

·
Registered
157 Posts
A friend of mine was down there from Canadia with his blue triumph with some of his other buddies in the last week or so. If he was teaching you French, good luck!

His french is like my Spanish, muy terrible.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm envious. Glad you had a good experience. You appear to be one focused rider in the photos. I'm hoping to make the trip next season. Congratulations.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the patch to prove it? :)

I recognize the signs in your avatar. :thumbup:
Glad you had fun. I was there just last week. Though not on my VTX (sad sad) but on a rented HD Sportster. Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would since I felt like a teenager on a Vespa. I didn't realize I was so used to the weight & size of my VTX. Next time, I am paying more to rent a full size HD.

Dja get anything to eat at the grill? I opted for the pulled-pork sandwich. It was very tasty and tender, loved it.

Got any other pictures?
I did not eat at Deals Gap. I had eaten a large breakfast at Huddle House and still wasn't hungry at that point.

I will probably purchase a few more pictures of me on the ride, but since you asked, here's one from the west end that I took where I started the Dragon. Oh, and also, how I got around the Smokies National Park in order to start from the west.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm envious. Glad you had a good experience. You appear to be one focused rider in the photos. I'm hoping to make the trip next season. Congratulations.
LOL, well, it is the Dragon and those that do not focus end up in the trees, or worse!

While I am used to riding twisties in eastern Kentucky and Western West Virginia, the Dragon is intense as the curves are not consistent and will test your skills.

I kept it in my lane though!

There were a bunch of loud small sports cars that were all over the road, some riding on the lines or just over as they exited the curves too fast. You had to stay towards the right side of your lane or they would hit you.

It was fun. I would like to have run it a couple of times to get used to it. That is what those hanging around Deals Gap were doing. They would run up and back and then critique their riding skills.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on your ride!
That is the route I took on the way down. On the way back, I went through Cherokee and through the park, stopping at all the best views.

That picture was taken at 9:41 am on 9/7/19.

I was not aware of other photographers.
I was mistaken Hans, I did not go on through Highlands, I turned South at Franklin and went down 23.

Now that I look at the map, it would likely have been a better ride down 64 to Highlands and then back to Sky Valley.

In my defense, it was my first trip down and I followed Google from Deals Gap on. I should have known to write stuff down off the laptop's big screen because it can be hard to see the big picture on a phone.

I did visit Highlands with my mom and her friend and we went to some cool shops and had lunch. It's a cool little town.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I will probably purchase a few more pictures of me on the ride, but since you asked, here's one from the west end that I took where I started the Dragon. Oh, and also, how I got around the Smokies National Park in order to start from the west.
Cool pictures, thanks!

I see you took the Foothills Parkway. How dja like it? Had I had more time, I would have gone through it too but daylight was against me that day.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Cool pictures, thanks!

I see you took the Foothills Parkway. How dja like it? Had I had more time, I would have gone through it too but daylight was against me that day.
I took the western side of the Foothills Parkway from Wears Valley to Chilhowee to get to 129. It goes much further, pretty much all the way around. I saw an entrance to the east side off 321 Northeast of Gatlinburg on my way back.

The section I rode was nice. It was just a lazy ride with some curves. The speed limit varies from 25 to 45. There are some nice lookouts too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I took the western side of the Foothills Parkway from Wears Valley to Chilhowee to get to 129. It goes much further, pretty much all the way around. I saw an entrance to the east side off 321 Northeast of Gatlinburg on my way back.

The section I rode was nice. It was just a lazy ride with some curves. The speed limit varies from 25 to 45. There are some nice lookouts too.
Cool. I am planning on riding the parkway next time. I was rushed last time but want to make it a much more leisurely day next time. With friends, probably. Through the hills on the NC side too. Should be much more fun.

FWIW, I have the exact same picture as you do in your avatar. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Calderwood Dam overlook, 9 miles from Deal's Gap. A nice garbage/recycle container.
Foothills pkwy ended at Us321 until this year when the extension was opened. There is an observation tower you can hike to on FHP.

Next trip US 441/BRP 41 miles to highest point on BRP.

Clingman's Dome is the highest point in TN.
The road is right next to NC/TN parking lot at Newfound Gap road.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Glad you were able to check that one off of the bucket list. I did it last year, and at the last minute, had the unexpected pleasure of having my wife on the back for the ride. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had anyone to share it with, because I was solo. It definitely challenges your skills,,,, and like you, I didn't have anything to add to the tree of shame. I'll definitely ride it again sometime, but am also wanting to go back down and ride some of the more scenic and lest "twisty" routes as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts